Heart Health Eating... I need help, not allowed to exercise.

Options
Can anyone tell me some good recipes that are heart healthy? Or good websites to check out as to what types of food I should be buying. The doctor says no exercise for me as my heart can't take it right now. I'm young ( in my 20's), I have weight to loose and really just looking for someone to talk to about this and help me figure out how exactly I should be eating. Im also gluten free and do not eat eggs, meat, fish, or chicken. I do eat certain dairy products ( Some cheeses depending on ingredients, yogurt, milk).....

Replies

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    My wife is a vegetarian and had a heart attack a month ago. Her cardiologist strongly recommended that she eat wild caught salmon or other fatty fish at least twice a week. She intends to do it. You might consider it. Beyond that, focus on keeping the sodium down. That makes cheese very difficult, as it has lots of sodium. We are eating lots of lemme based dishes and buying low sodium versions of canned or bottled foods when available. Plain Frozen or fresh vegetables are much lower sodium than canned or sauced vegetables. Salads are great, but avoid bottled dressings. And, as always, focus on your diet as a whole, rather than individual items. You can have some occasional cheese if you keep the sodium down overall.
  • IammeCA
    IammeCA Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Onion powder and smoked paprika mixed together make a nice substitute for salt at the table.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Most if not all of the south beach diet recipes are heart healthy (it was designed, originally, for heart patients by a cardiologist). There are many wild caught salmon recipes in the books, which can be found at any library. DON'T waste time on the website. Dr. Agatston retired and recently sold the diet to some dumb company.

But most importantly, what does your doctor say you should be eating?
  • tamikia87
    tamikia87 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. The doctor told me to cut back on fat, sodium,and caffeine.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Given your health and restrictions can you get a referral from your doctor to a dietician? They could tailor a plan for you. I hope your health improves.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Given your health and restrictions can you get a referral from your doctor to a dietician? They could tailor a plan for you. I hope your health improves.

That's a great idea. I agree about the South Beach diet as well. Good luck and wish you a healthy future
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    tamikia87 wrote: »
    figure out how exactly I should be eating. Im also gluten free and do not eat eggs, meat, fish, or chicken. I do eat certain dairy products ( Some cheeses depending on ingredients, yogurt, milk).....

Do you own a crockpot? You can make fabulous bean dishes.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    The DASH Diet Younger You book is primarily plant-based. The book is by Marla Heller.
  • tamikia87
    tamikia87 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Im going to google crock pot bean dishes. Thanks for the idea!!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    With your doctor placing so many restrictions on you, they need to refer you to a dietician for help.