Options
13»

Replies

• JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    The two things that come to mind are making the exercise as convenient as possible and making the exercise as rewarding or enjoyable as possible.

For the enjoyment factor I attempt to foster this in clients by helping them become good at certain movements and getting them on a structured program that gets them stronger and we track that metric so that they can see the improvement taking place (weight on the bar goes up --> client feels empowered --> client wants to keep improving).

I think you're asking the right question. Also in for discussion because this is a great topic that extends beyond exercise compliance as well.

It does - the underlying question is really about behavior change - if you notice - the people answering this thread are already all partakers of exercise and have a habit. Underneath all the "how did this come about?" is "how can this be actively applied to modify how we behave in other areas?"

For example - here is a simplistic one - I keep chocolate in the cupboard - I love it and can easily eat all of it, but I now practice moderation - I was very much before: open cupboard: see the chocolate (cue) eat the chocolate (routine) mouthgasm (reward). I broke that by simply moving the chocolate to a less travelled cupboard. Other people might be more radical in how they break habit (tossing out food, etc...)

Understanding how habit functions and if it can be manipulated as we want is a an interesting area of discussion.

I think tweaks like this, that set the stage for action by reducing the energy required to either start a desirable activity or inhibit an undesirable one, are great. Willpower is overrated.

On both of these, substitution has long been a way to short change a less desirable trait along with willpower. I believe willpower is the starting place followed by self discipline then self motivation, for me personally. I find when my willpower starts to falter is when I have more issues.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    lacroyx wrote: »
    walterc7 wrote: »
    I just do what I enjoy. Easier to stick to something when you actually like doing it.

Pretty much this. Everything I do, I have fun doing so it makes it all easier.

Enjoyment is a reward.

Now here is, what the author argues, that we actually (over time as a learned response) crave the reward. We need to feel that enjoyment, feeling of wellness, alone time or sense of community.

And this drives habit.

I would definitely agree with that. I've been pretty dedicated to my fitness regimen for 2.5 years plus now and recently had a procedure done that kept me off my bike and out of the weight room (or doing anything really beyond just walking) for a couple of weeks. It was brutal.

I missed being out there riding on my own to clear my head and I missed hanging with the group on Sundays for our big group rides. I missed the feeling of throwing up a heavy snatch and working with my Oly coach on Saturdays. I began to feel lethargic and actually a bit depressed in pretty short order. I didn't really realize how ingrained everything was until I had my little surgery there....

Fortunately, it was only a couple of weeks and I'm back in the saddle again.

I would say very early on in my return to fitness, being able to eat more and enjoy my beer was definitely a "reward" and a big time reason I decided I needed to get moving again. I'm a former competitive athlete, so it didn't take too long for things to just click again...but early on, it was definitely the ability to eat more, and enjoy my suds without guilt.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I don't run because it's my favorite thing to do. Honestly I'd rather sit at home and play XBox or watch a movie. What I did find is that sacrificing part of my morning and working out makes me less likely to eat like crap during the day. I'm not about to throw out my progress that morning and waste my effort (that I disliked) on crap I won't care for 15 minutes later.

Eventually, that has gotten to be a habit. I don't always WANT to go do it but the resistance to going out and running in the morning is pretty minimal. I just make it part of my routine. I have a weekly schedule of what I'm doing on what day of the week and I just do it. Don't give yourself any wiggle room. The only valid excuse I give myself is thunderstorms. Other than that I just do what I decided to do in the morning no matter what.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    No, I do not get a meditative feeling from running. I get a feeling of "wow, this sucks even more than I remembered", which stops when I stop running.

I do enjoy the smug, self-satisfied feeling that comes from having worked out while other people sat on their butts :) So there's that.

I just hate exercise. But I do it anyway. "No whining, no excuses, no quitting." Ok, maybe a little whining, lol.

wow i'd hate that! that sounds really horrible, honestly :/
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    For me it is a form of distressing and I honestly check in at times with a few others but mostly work out alone both for strength training and cardio. I am a little odd I zone out easily with repetitive movements so cardio can be boring like a treadmill (which is safer than running outside if you zone out and unaware of surroundings) I am just in the movement and totally unaware of time.
    I love the natural rewards of being healthy and fit
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I get a massive endorphin hit when I exercise - which lasts for a few hours.
    Habit keeps me going along with classes which are interesting. I don't push myself as hard on my own.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Personally, I subscribed to the "reward" method of building a habit.

Backstory: early 30s, completely sedentary, completely lazy, religious WoW player (and gamer in general), you name it. 300lbs+. Couldn't walk up a set of stairs without being winded. Not an athletic bone in my body, always terrible at sports even as a kid, always very overweight even starting in high school. No real support from family which was also overweight and no one did any purposeful exercise.

So, with the need to get something going, I did in fact set up an actual reward system. It was simple: beer. I am an avid craft beer guy (part of the reason for my ridiculous weight) and drank 1-2 new brews every day. In order to drink those beers, I started requiring myself to earn them. No 500 calories burned? No beer. Period. And since I loved beer so much, I never missed a workout.

As time passed, I found something I liked (powerlifting) and it became ingrained as a habit. Eventually I found myself drinking less and less beer and not associating it with exercise at all. In fact I almost never drink beer on days I workout, funnily enough. But it got the ball rolling. Now it's just part of my day. Even if I don't want to do it, it's a chore that must be completed. In the morning I don't leave the house until I've showered and brushed my teeth. At night, I do not go to bed unless I've hit the gym. I don't care if it's 1AM and I haven't even started my workout yet. I'm still doing it. I don't care if I'm sick, I still shower and brush my teeth when I'm sick and I still work out at night. It's a habit and it's part of my daily routine.

Of course, associating myself with like-minded people online and IRL has been a contributor, as has my consistent work and home life. That made it easier to form the habit and easier to maintain it, but hopefully at this point it is solid (it's been around 3 years). Time will tell.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't do "rewards". I consider it an obligation to exercise, and generally do it first thing in the morning, so that it's done and can't be subject to excuse-making.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I don't do "rewards". I consider it an obligation to exercise, and generally do it first thing in the morning, so that it's done and can't be subject to excuse-making.

Please re-read - we aren't talking about buying yourself an ice cream for running a mile. It's about the mental process that might occur to create habits. Stimulus-response reward, which everyone that has endorphin receptors does in one way or another. There is a physical release of "happy molecules" when you exercise and these affect the brain.

An actual award might also reinforce a new habit - see dopes post.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I started exercising 2 years ago as a result of obligation and fear - my kids pressured me to start a "60 days to change" program at our Tkd studio. And my father had recently died of cancer - and his illness and treatments were made much harder by diabetes which I am at high risk for due to PCOS. So I started attending a HIIT style class at the studio. I (like dope) had never been athletic or good at sports. And, to be frank, I am still no natural athlete. But, over time, I learned to like the camaraderie among the class attendees and staff. I learned that I could get better - more flexible, more agile, better coordination, more strength. And I started enjoying the sense of accomplishment as well as successfully losing weight for the first time in a decade or more.
    I also discovered that exercising several times a week was the key to being able to go off the antidepressants I ended up on after my dad's death.
    After being sidelined by work crap and a sprained MCL this past fall, I know how easy it is to lose the habits again. But, I hired a trainer to teach me to lift with good form (which makes me show up) and I'm starting back at TKD. And I've been reminded that I feel accomplished and physically/emotionally better when I get regular exercise. Building the habits is definitely a process but feeling better about myself is a huge motivator and reward
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I started exercising 2 years ago as a result of obligation and fear - my kids pressured me to start a "60 days to change" program at our Tkd studio. And my father had recently died of cancer - and his illness and treatments were made much harder by diabetes which I am at high risk for due to PCOS. So I started attending a HIIT style class at the studio. I (like dope) had never been athletic or good at sports. And, to be frank, I am still no natural athlete. But, over time, I learned to like the camaraderie among the class attendees and staff. I learned that I could get better - more flexible, more agile, better coordination, more strength. And I started enjoying the sense of accomplishment as well as successfully losing weight for the first time in a decade or more.
    I also discovered that exercising several times a week was the key to being able to go off the antidepressants I ended up on after my dad's death.
    After being sidelined by work crap and a sprained MCL this past fall, I know how easy it is to lose the habits again. But, I hired a trainer to teach me to lift with good form (which makes me show up) and I'm starting back at TKD. And I've been reminded that I feel accomplished and physically/emotionally better when I get regular exercise. Building the habits is definitely a process but feeling better about myself is a huge motivator and reward
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people that don't really like exercise, so when I first started my efforts to lose weight I forced it. It was difficult and I did not enjoy it but my weight going down and the feeling that I was doing something good for my body were enough as a reward and motivation to keep pushing.

And then, I almost accidentally went to a karate class and, bam, that was it, I loved it. I got so fascinated that going to class became immediately a given. I started training at home on my own, with friends over the weekend and every other opportunity, and I even started doing things I did not enjoy, like running or strength training to improve my performance in karate. One and a half year later I still go to class religiously. So in my case the reward is the enjoyment I get from the class. And the reason I enjoy it so much is because it keeps my mind engaged and focused all the time while in e.g. running, I get bored. Basically the mental stimulation is my reward.