Going without breakfast

Options
I know it's said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but is it that important? If I skip breakfast I find myself less hungry throughout the day than when I've has a breakfast. Anyone else skip it? Is skipping breakfast really that bad?

Replies

• kcd1961
    kcd1961 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Trust your experience, not someone trying to sell a book. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/10/myths-surround-breakfast-and-weight/
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    No. Meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss. Focus on total calories and if you don't want breakfast don't eat it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    No. Meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss. Focus on total calories and if you don't want breakfast don't eat it.

This
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I don't skip it but only because I'll feel ill if I don't get something in my stomach. If breakfast starts up your appetite then nothing wrong with skipping it. When you eat is a matter of preference and what you feel is most sustainable for reaching your goals.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you feel better not eating breakfast, continue that. All that matters is that you're in a calorie deficit.
  • cloudpoker992
    cloudpoker992 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the speedy replies! It kinda feels right for me but was worried it wasn't doing me any good.
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Depending on your training regime it may not be hugely important, unless your trying increase bulk, having said that the only time I tend to skip breakfast is if I'm running in the morning. This is sort of fasted training and so far has worked well for fat loss
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I need to eat within minutes of waking up...but my reading has told me a few things
    1. for every study that says eating breakfasts can aid in weight loss another says timing of meals is irrelevant in weight loss.
    2. Everyone is different so if you are not hungry, and skipping breakfast doesn't cause you to overeat later in the day...keep doing what you are doing.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast only because if I skip it then I am a raging hangry mess for the rest of the day. Listen to your body and just keep alert - if you ever start feeling like later in the day you can't get un-hungry no matter how much you eat, that's a sign to try some breakfast. Other than that I don't really know of any side effects.
  • zepeda602
    zepeda602 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have the same question. I'm not really hungry in the am. I try to have toast with peanut butter tho because if I don't have anything I get sick or noxious by lunch.
  • brightwell44
    brightwell44 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast but rarely eat it. Maybe twice a week. I don't feel any different when I eat it or not. So I guess Your not alone cloudpoker
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,264 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it. The idea of food as soon as I get up just makes me sick to my stomach. It's horrible. I tried to force myself to before (when I believed the myth) but have been much happier just following what my body wants.
  • lecanto1
    lecanto1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I only eat breakfast on Sundays & that is usually around 10:30. I have never been too excited about eating early in the morning, even as a child. As long as I have coffee, I am fine. I don't get light headed or queasy or anything. The only exception is if I take any meds, for example antibiotics or even Tylenol. I need to eat something otherwise my stomach gets torn up.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    It's totally up to you when you eat. It's not necessary to eat breakfast for weight loss and/or health. I eat only small breakfasts (under 300 calories, usually-- because that's all I can stomach in the morning) and only after around 10 am, even if I have to work early. Eating before 10 or so makes me feel incredibly disgusting for a while and then get much hungrier later in the day, so a small, late breakfast is my way. I used to be able to go without breakfast, but years of work and early AM classes changed my habits so that I do need a little something in the morning.

Some people swear by intermittent fasting for weight loss and maintenance-- basically eating only during a certain part of the day, and many people do that by skipping breakfast and eating only between, say, noon and 8 pm. You might find reading up on intermittent fasting interesting. :)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I have to eat breakfast, otherwise my blood sugar starts to crash around lunchtime. But not everyone needs breakfast; just depends on how your body is. If no breakfast works for you, awesome. ^_^
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    For me (normal guy, not diabetic), I need to keep my blood sugars and insulin levels steady all day by eating frequent small meals and snacks of protein, fats, and good carbs (fruits and veggies, etc). I limit the bad carbs I consume daily.

It is not a myth that the last and first meals of the day affect your blood levels.

If breakfast does not suit your stomach then maybe you are eating the wrong stuff.
  • hansmdude
    hansmdude Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you... nobody knows what works for your particular body better than you... if you're doing fine without breakfast, keep going... if you get lightheaded or hungry eat something... if you find a new method write a book, cash in.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The breakfast is the most important meal of the day studies were funded by the big cereal companies, particularly Kellogs. ....
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    According to the National Weight Control Registry, one thing the most successful losers have in common is that they eat breakfast.

And if you eat about half your calories for breakfast, then a small dinner (more of a snack) you'll lose more weight than if you skip breakfast, or if you follow the typical American plan of a small breakfast & large dinner (see the last half of this post for the studies, with quotes & links).

So no, you don't have to eat breakfast. Your mother is no longer standing there taking care of you.
    But things will likely turn out better if you do.

51637601.png
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat then don't. It will just leave room for more calories later on. I really don't get it though because I am sooo hungry when I wake up in the morning!