alternative for mash potatoes.

Options

Replies

• jonesm97
    jonesm97 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you eveyone. I am trying new options. Put a workout in every other day and I will make it.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Yup--mashed cauliflower. My 4yo is anti-potato (WTF?) but he loves mashed cauliflower.
  • rpurcell7485
    Options
    Try roasting cauliflower (or any veggies) in a hot oven until its nice and brown on the edges and then mash. I toss mine olive oil apple cider vinegar tomato paste and curry powder(i like hot curry). most of the time i'm to lazy to mash them up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    jonesm97 wrote: »
    I love mash potatoes. Is there anything that is simular but healthier that I can. Try instead?

why do you feel that mashed potatoes are inherently "unhealthy"? potatoes actually are pretty nutritious, and they're pretty low calories...not seeing the problem here.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Two tips:
    Mash your spuds with the skins left on to increase the fibre (and iron a teeny bit). My husband will often include other veg (carrot, Swiss chard) in the mash to improve nutrient content.

We love mashed cauliflower - boil to soften in bit of stock and mash with whatever you like (we like Boursin cheese). You learn to control the texture so it is more or less firm, according to your tastes. Mashed broccoli the same way is also good.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Try roasting cauliflower (or any veggies) in a hot oven until its nice and brown on the edges and then mash. I toss mine olive oil apple cider vinegar tomato paste and curry powder(i like hot curry). most of the time i'm to lazy to mash them up.

Now I really want a potato with apple cider vinegar on it! That sounds so good.
  • jonesm97
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I love mash potatoes. Is there anything that is simular but healthier that I can. Try instead?

why do you feel that mashed potatoes are inherently "unhealthy"? potatoes actually are pretty nutritious, and they're pretty low calories...not seeing the problem here.

I was told they were not so healthy. I love them and I don't want to give them up. Didn't know if there was an alternative.

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I was told they were not so healthy. I love them and I don't want to give them up. Didn't know if there was an alternative.
    Don't believe everything people tell you

http://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-eats/healthy-eating/why-potatoes-are-healthy#PDR51imALHBe4jTS.97

Mashed cauliflower is just mashed cauliflower it is not a potato replacement no matter what people say
  • _IronDan_
    _IronDan_ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try mashed swede (rutabaga in the usa) or swede and carrot mashed together with a knob of butter if your calories/macros allow.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    _IronDan_ wrote: »
    Try mashed swede (rutabaga in the usa) or swede and carrot mashed together with a knob of butter if your calories/macros allow.

My husband does this at Thanksgiving and Christmas. It in no way, shape, or form tastes anything like mashed potatoes. He loves them. I think it tastes like dirt.

If you like mashed potatoes, work them into your day. I'm not saying the alternatives listed are bad; you may enjoy them. But they are NOT mashed potatoes.

• jonesm97
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    _IronDan_ wrote: »

My husband does this at Thanksgiving and Christmas. It in no way, shape, or form tastes anything like mashed potatoes. He loves them. I think it tastes like dirt.

If you like mashed potatoes, work them into your day. I'm not saying the alternatives listed are bad; you may enjoy them. But they are NOT mashed potatoes.

Okay. Moderation is the key. I am going to conquer this weight issuse. One way or another. Thank you all!!!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Potatoes have plenty of potassium and vitamin C. They provide B6 and iron, easy to prepare, store well(no need to keep refrigerated), and are inexpensive. I'm struggling thinking of what are unhealthy or too much trouble(not the OP someone else). Just eat them and enjoy.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I like mashed cauliflower, but I also make mashed potato and use light laughing cow cheese instead of butter. It makes them lovely and creamy and adds bugger all calories!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I like mashed cauliflower, but I also make mashed potato and use light laughing cow cheese instead of butter. It makes them lovely and creamy and adds bugger all calories!

ahh the wonders of laughing cow cheese.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I really like mashed turnips. I boil the turnips with some lemon or lime juice and salt to cut the bitterness, and add Accent or some Mrs. Dash along with a little butter and skim milk.

Gonna try it with some Laughing Cow cheese next time! (I always say that...and then somehow the cheese wedge "vanishes mysteriously" between when I take it out of the fridge and when I would add it to the recipe...funny, that.)

However, I am not a huge mashed potato fan, so I'm not sure (and I don't really care) if turnips could be considered a legit substitute. Probably not. o:)
  • new_destiny
    new_destiny Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mashed cauliflower. I find you really need to drain it well before mashing otherwise you get the slightly sloppy texture. If you like sweet potatoes you could always try using a singing swede instead? Just shove a swede as it is for half an hour, dont prick it or anything. Put it on a piece of kitchen roll / paper and a microwaveable plate and leave it to cook for the full half an hour. Then once done discard the skin and that is similar to mashed potato texture without all the calories!
  • new_destiny
    new_destiny Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Also using the singing swede (its termed a singing swede because of the noise it makes whilst cooking in the microwave!!) means no cutting or mashing needed and not boiling it keeps more nutrients.
  • thisismyfinalemailaddress
    Options
    Potato isn't unhealthy. If you want mashed potato, make it fit your macros /cals! Perhaps skip adding loads of butter or cream? We have lower carb potatoes available here, they would reduce the amount of cals

I like cauliflower puree, but it tastes like cauliflower.

True potatatoes aren't unhealthy but they aren't healthy either
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Potato isn't unhealthy. If you want mashed potato, make it fit your macros /cals! Perhaps skip adding loads of butter or cream? We have lower carb potatoes available here, they would reduce the amount of cals

I like cauliflower puree, but it tastes like cauliflower.

True potatatoes aren't unhealthy but they aren't healthy either

So they're nothing??

Potatoes are quite healthy. Like all foods, TOO MANY potatoes can be counter-productive to weight management goals.
  • kpetty325
    Options
    How do I place this recipe on my recipes for MFP?