Who wants to give up booze for lent with me?

Options
cvstokke
cvstokke Posts: 249 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
This year I'm giving up alcohol! ALL alcohol! That glass of wine during the bachelor - gone. Those tequila shots on Friday night (shudder) - gone. That beer during the game (thank god lent doesn't overlap with football season) - gone.

Who wants to join me?

If you're like me, booze is your downfall with weight loss. I'm losing weight steadily, but booze keeps me from doing it at a faster rate. When you think about alcohol raw calories, drunk food calories, hungover food calories, and hungover inactivity, you're losing out on a LOT here. To me, giving up booze means the difference between 1.5 lbs per week and 1 lb per week. I only drink 1-2 days per week, so imagine what a big impact this would have if you drink more than that. For me, that's the difference between SIX POUNDS AND 10 POUNDS!

I'd love to have some support (hey it can be hard to give up booze, even temporarily!), so let me know / friend me if you wanna join in!

Cheers! :wink:

Replies

• FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    In
  • salemxo
    Options
    I'm in. Alcohol consumption + hangover munchies = diet disaster. These past few months have been dreadful for me due to partying, so I'm very happy to give it up for a while.
  • shepram50
    shepram50 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Im in Need to try something!!!
  • bremington0215
    bremington0215 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am so in!!!! That is a great idea!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Hey. So I totally understand alcohol being an issue (I am over 2 years sober myself), but why only 40 days? I guess lent could be a great kick start, but what happens after Easter? Years ago, I would have said yes!!! And the on Easter Monday, drink like booze is no longer being produced.

Also- I thought wine represented the blood of Christ (haven't been to a church in 10+ years so no idea)? Wouldn't that be a bad thing to give up? (In case it's not obvious, this paragraph is meant in jest, not seriously).
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I cut alcohol out in January when I started training for my run, but I'm happy to give support during lent for anyone that wants it. I learned in January first there's no hell like running the day after drinking a lot...
  • int3rpo1
    Options
    Drinking actually has this effect on me where I lose appetite and it kind of gives me a more "dry" look.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I'm in, I stopped for Dry January and kept on into Feb. It was my intention to go through until Easter week anyway, so no booze for lent fits in nicely, even though it maybe a bit of cheat as I have been on wagon since New Year
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I don't think people understand what Lent is. :huh:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't think Lent is supposed to be a weight loss strategy.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

I'm not Christian, but even I know you're not supposed to give up something you want to give up :|
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm 11 months sober tomorrow. I guess I can label the next month and a half or so as lent related. Good luck. It's a pain giving up booze even for a short period, but I feel incredible, and for the first couple of months, weight dropped off me without me counting a calorie. You can do it.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    cvstokke wrote: »
    I'm not Catholic, but I always try to give something bad for me up for lent. This year I'm giving up alcohol! ALL alcohol! That glass of wine during the bachelor - gone. Those tequila shots on Friday night (shudder) - gone. That beer during the game (thank god lent doesn't overlap with football season) - gone.

Who wants to join me?

If you're like me, booze is your downfall with weight loss. I'm losing weight steadily, but booze keeps me from doing it at a faster rate. When you think about alcohol raw calories, drunk food calories, hungover food calories, and hungover inactivity, you're losing out on a LOT here. To me, giving up booze means the difference between 1.5 lbs per week and 1 lb per week. I only drink 1-2 days per week, so imagine what a big impact this would have if you drink more than that. For me, that's the difference between SIX POUNDS AND 10 POUNDS during the lent time frame!

I'd love to have some support (hey it can be hard to give up booze, even temporarily!), so let me know / friend me if you wanna join in!

Cheers! :wink:

I'm with you. It's not that I view beer as a problem. It's that I know it's holding me back from where I want to be for all the reasons you stated. Never mind the financial aspects.

So, my next beer will be the after the first pitch of the Cubs - Cardinals game on Opening Day...which is also Easter.

What happens after Lent....I'll choose another date to drink beer on, and abstain until then. I've had good success with this in the past. Might as well do it again.

• wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Sorry, can't join you. But wish you all well.
    Going on a cruise and alcohol will be one of my major food groups.
    Cheers, h.
  • cvstokke
    cvstokke Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I clearly said I'm not Catholic, but try to give something bad up during this time frame. So, no religious lent isn't meant to be a weight loss strategy, but it's perfectly acceptable for me to use this time to focus on improving myself.

People need to lighten up.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    A misconception I keep seeing. Most (I say most, I've seen a few that do not follow the canonized Liturgical Calendar) mainline Christian Denominations celebrate/observe the Lenten Season, it is not exclusive to Catholicism.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    sexual-innuendos-lent-meme.jpg
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

I completely agree. This is a major pet peeve of mine.
This discussion has been closed.