Should I Go Back To The GP?

Options
2»

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    I had similar issues, weight gain, extreme fatigue, hair was very brittle and thinning, skin was horrible, along with some digestive issues and a really effed up cycle. Tested for thyroid over and over and that wasn't the issue for me I guess. The doctors kept testing for a Vitamin D deficiency and it was consistently low. Would give me a supplement and then forget about it so I never got it to the right place. I got tired of trying to fight to get this taken care of, tired of them thinking that I'm some bored depressed housewife and it was all in my head.

I've been making sure to hit all of my micros for the last 50 days, including D, K, all the B's, and my minerals. I do this with diet alone. I feel great now and my hair is growing out well, my cycle is more normal, my energy is through the roof. I would check out the FDA supertracker or cronometer.com to see if you are getting ALL of your micros. It's amazing how something so small can completely throw your body out of whack. It is also handy to have that report to hand to your doctor because if you are consistently getting all of your nutrition but your body is not registering a particular nutrient, it can point them in the right direction.

I'm supplementing for severe vit d deficiency (drops). Do you have any handy resources for how to balance it with K, B and calcium? I wasn't given that info and there's just loads online. Well done by the way for doing it with food!!
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It also could be indicative of endometriosis, which is so incredibly difficult to diagnose until it becomes severe.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Yes, go, get a blood test. Ask for a Vitamin D check (this isn't always automatic). Hopefully they'll check your iron and thyroid too (they usually do).

Have them run more than just your TSH, ask for Free T3 and Free T4 and your TPOab/ag to be done as well. I could have written your post. I am currently waiting on an endocrinologist to determine exactly what is wrong with my thyroid because after seeing 3 doctors, I resorted to paying out of pocket for the blood work that discovered something is wrong.

Please see your doctor.

www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

they have symptom lists on the site I linked you. check it and see if any of it rings any bells for you.
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have PCOS and all the things you mentioned are symptoms of PCOS. It is also very likely that you are either insulin resistant, hypoglycemic or have developed onset diabetes, which are also common when you have PCOS.
    I would recommend asking your doctor about forms of hormone therapy that may benefit you (such as birth control, it really really helps when you have PCOS), as well as requesting they run tests on you to check for diabetes and to check your thyroid.
    I found out in addition to PCOS I was hypoglycemic a couple years ago when I would feel faint out of no where and always tired, I knew it was in reaction to the foods I was eating but I couldn't put my finger on which foods were causing it. My doctor (OB...not GP) was able to help a lot. I suggest starting there, if you don't feel you're getting the information you need from your doctor than find another.
    I lived with the PCOS for years before going to the doctor for the symptoms and I was shocked that a simple meal plan and pill could change my life so much.
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    And yes, I know you mentioned you don't have PCOS but its my understanding that having PC ovaries also causing your body to produce an abundance of androgen which is what causes these symptoms.
  • Nottafattie
    Nottafattie Posts: 140 Member
    Options

I'm supplementing for severe vit d deficiency (drops). Do you have any handy resources for how to balance it with K, B and calcium? I wasn't given that info and there's just loads online. Well done by the way for doing it with food!!

I just log all of my food on cronometer.com as well as MFP. It's not perfect, but if I'm low on D for the day, I drink a glass of milk or whatever food will get me there. Same for all the rest of my vitamins and minerals. You can look online for foods rich in whatever source you are missing.

I haven't had my D tested lately, but the last week has been fantastic as far as my symptoms being gone. No foggy head, hair is growing like a weed, skin is smoother and less waxy. It takes a while before your body catches up, even with the supplements. It really took me weeks doing this before everything seemed to fade. I think that's why the supplements that the doctor gave me didn't work very well. It was one quick boost, but your body doesn't retain all of it. Then after that quick shot, I went back into the same bad eating habits that put me there in the first place, resulting in a low D again. God only knows what else I was deficient in!!!

Your welcome to diary stalk me if you want to see what my meals are like. Just don't judge me by yesterday because it was a mess. I have an off day every now and again. The rest are pretty spot on for hitting all my D, Calcium, Bs and so on. And if I have a day where I just don't come close enough to suit me, I do take a multivitamin to boost it. I just prefer to do it with food rather than meds.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options

I just log all of my food on cronometer.com as well as MFP. It's not perfect, but if I'm low on D for the day, I drink a glass of milk or whatever food will get me there. Same for all the rest of my vitamins and minerals. You can look online for foods rich in whatever source you are missing.

I haven't had my D tested lately, but the last week has been fantastic as far as my symptoms being gone. No foggy head, hair is growing like a weed, skin is smoother and less waxy. It takes a while before your body catches up, even with the supplements. It really took me weeks doing this before everything seemed to fade. I think that's why the supplements that the doctor gave me didn't work very well. It was one quick boost, but your body doesn't retain all of it. Then after that quick shot, I went back into the same bad eating habits that put me there in the first place, resulting in a low D again. God only knows what else I was deficient in!!!

Your welcome to diary stalk me if you want to see what my meals are like. Just don't judge me by yesterday because it was a mess. I have an off day every now and again. The rest are pretty spot on for hitting all my D, Calcium, Bs and so on. And if I have a day where I just don't come close enough to suit me, I do take a multivitamin to boost it. I just prefer to do it with food rather than meds.

Aw, that's kind - thank you! It sounds like you've done a ton of research! - maybe I'll pick up some pointers. Seriously, thanks!

It does take a long time to bring D levels back up, or that's what I was told by my doctor. I'm glad you're feeling better and seeing results! Very encouraging (maybe enough to get me to try it with food! I do my best to roughly get micronutrients in, but a lot of my planning and cooking is improvisational, depending on mood, which produce looks good, etc.. It sounds like it's worth it, though!

Thanks again :)

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I have the acne, weight problems and period issues (bleeding every two weeks for months and then nothing for months at a time, with no set pattern to follow) ... now nothing again since the coil was fitted 6 months ago.
    That's a really useful leaflet though, thank you! x

If you have a hormonal IUD like Mirena chances are you won't get a period at all. I had one in for about 14 months and never cycled. The problems continued after for YEARS. Like I took it out in November of 2008 and I've only had normal monthly cycles since July of 2014. Prior I'd go as little as 26 days between and longest of 72 days, usually with very light spotting every 2 weeks.

Obviously everyone is different, so my experiences will not be the exact same as someone else.
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you have a PCOS every woman is different :\

- bad skin
    - hormone imbalance
    - brittle hair and nails
    - easy weight gain
    - lack of period
    - extra hair
    - insulin resistant

that's just to name a few thing and there is no one test that says BINGO you have this it's a group of symptoms.

It is easy to control with diet and exercise.