Cravings

Options
Hi guys,

Ive been on and off the bandwagon of trying to lose weight. I am currently on the bandwagon again. I am the type of person who if I stick with my diet, I can lose the weight but if I slip a little I like binge and I cant stop eating fast food or bad things. So the reason why I am doing this post is to maybe get some encouragement and also see what people do when they have a huge craving for fast food or sweets.

Thanks.
Linda

Replies

• heypretty90210
    Options
    Hi guys,

Ive been on and off the bandwagon of trying to lose weight. I am currently on the bandwagon again. I am the type of person who if I stick with my diet, I can lose the weight but if I slip a little I like binge and I cant stop eating fast food or bad things. So the reason why I am doing this post is to maybe get some encouragement and also see what people do when they have a huge craving for fast food or sweets.

Thanks.
    Linda
  • cstang
    cstang Posts: 28
    Options
    Allow yourself 1 bad day, then you won't feel deprived of "fun" foods like a burger. If you know you want one, then allow for it in your calorie "bank". You won't feel guilty and you won't feel deprived by allowing it on occassion. Hope this helps:-)
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I agree with CHERYLSTANG, not only do you not feel deprived but it also teaches you that such foods are okay in moderation! :flowerforyou:
  • Uysbee
    Options
    I personally dislike fast foods, mostly because when you eat healthy for long enough time periods and then eat fast food, it makes you feel really icky. But it takes doing it a couple of times and feeling ill after eating fast food or too much sugar that you eventually stop. There is nothing really great about fast food that you can't make better at home. If you want to get really excited about healthy foods go to whole foods, that place will inspire anyone...they make their healthy food look exciting! What you can also do is think about a couple of healthy foods that you really like, and try focus on treating yourself with those instead of the bad foods that you really like....And if you eat balanced enough for long enough the craving do go away...eating sugar or too many white floury carbs will make you crave those foods even more...And moderation is key, it's not that you never eat a chocolate again in your life...but it might mean you have to eat less of one...also I tell myself food is there to sustain my body, and not entertainment, each meal of food you eat doesn't have to be exciting, eat to live don't live to eat...it's hard...I've never met anyone that doesn't like eating...so I guess the moderation is key...is the best advice I can give...sorry if I rambled on there a bit! Oh and exercise so you can eat more calories a day...;P not that I'm good at doing that yet...;)
  • Uysbee
    Options
    Oh and that bunny pic chubbybunny has for a profile is absolutely adorable
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Research fast foods.

I found that I can go eat a double hamburger from McDonald's and it doesn't set me back at all. This allows me to go when I feel like it and not have to start over. You can find foods to eat that you think are cheating...just research it a little more. PS...NO FRIES!

My boyfriend tries really hard to stay healthy for me, to make it easier for me to stay on track, but he also like to eat out. By researching places ahead of time, I made it possible for both of us to go out, have a good time, and stick to my plan. It just takes a little more effort.
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Hi Linda,

I know where you are coming from. I have a very strong craving for sweets, and giving in to the craving doesn't make it go away..

When I get a craving, I find that green tea with a tablespoon of honey can help. It is just sweet enough, only 60 calories, and the tea fills the void. Another thing that both my husband and I have been using is LifeSavers - yes, those individually wrapped minty ones. One LifeSaver lasts a while (if you can resist the chew) and satisfies the sweet urge..

If you don't feel you can settle for less than the entire cake - try going for a long walk or cleaning a room in the house. Sometimes the change in scenery can help, and if you get some exercise in, so much the better.

Good luck - be strong..

J
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I go cold turkey and don't eat sweets, or fast or processed foods. It's the only thing that works for me. And I don't feel deprived at all. On the other hand, when I eat that stuff, I feel deprived of my self control and health.