Protein packed ideas for Lent

Options
labeastette
labeastette Posts: 82 Member
Hi everyone. Lent begins this week and I'm in need of some suggestions for protein packed recipes I can use throughout the Lenten season. Ideally I'd like to get in at least 4oz of protein during the days I can't have meat. The only thing that comes to my mind is tuna salad and fish but if anyone has other great recipes, I'd love it if you share them! Thanks. Also if I can heat them up at work without smelling up the place, another bonus! Thanks!

Replies

• demarcan
    demarcan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    lentil soup... i don't have one rock solid recipe i use but i usually cut up an onion, celery, carrot, saute them in 1 tbsp olive oil, put in some low sodium broth/stock of your choice, add in the lentils... sometimes i put in some tomato paste too. for dinner i do scrambles with veggies like peppers and asparagus with just a little bit of cheese too.
  • The_Sandra
    The_Sandra Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    What about eggs? I think a couple of hard-boiled eggs make a lunch salad much more filling, and you could make a veggie omelet or frittata for dinner. You could also do cold, pre-cooked, shrimp on a salad. Beans, lentils, and chickpeas are also good sources of protein and carbs, so you could make soup, black bean burritos, veggies and hummus, bean dip and pita chips. Just a few ideas...
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Edamame or tofu.

I really like these salmon cakes too:

http://www.thecleansheep.com/2013/07/salmon-quinoa-pantry-cakes/
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    My mom used to make cheese pizza for dinner every Friday during lent. She made the dough Thursday/ the night before and put it in the fridge to roll out Friday for the oven.
  • labeastette
    Options
    Thank you for the ideas! Will definitely look at incorporating!!
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Black bean spaghetti. Over 20g of protein per serving.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    hummus/white bean chili with or with out tuna/roasted garbonzo beans--toss light with any oil,put on baking sheet 375 degree fot 40min until crisp YUM!
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    definitely eggs and tofu, and I eat fish too. I'm pretty certain fish is acceptable.
  • labeastette
    Options
    Ok. Gotta learn to cook with tofu. I'll be scouring the net for recipes.
    conniehgtv wrote: »
    hummus/white bean chili with or with out tuna/roasted garbonzo beans--toss light with any oil,put on baking sheet 375 degree fot 40min until crisp YUM!
    Connie, that sounds yum!!
    Black bean spaghetti. Over 20g of protein per serving.
    I've never heard of black bean spaghetti! I'm gonna have to look that one up!

I normally have tuna, bean tostadas or some kind of fish but it can get old!
    Thank you!
  • fernando7375
    Options
    I have one for you.. shrimp ceviche..
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    fish (I grill and eat fish all the time...doesn't have to be tuna salad)...also shelfish (shrimp are awesome)...eggs...greek yogurt...legumes....
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Red lentils are a fantastic protein source.

Just a bit hard on the gut if you're sensitive.
  • davis978
    davis978 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you are on pinterest, there are some awesome high protein vegetarian boards. One I really like is this:

https://www.pinterest.com/lonestarplate/moderate-carb-high-protein-vegan/

but there are tons of others. I use pinterest almost every week to do my meal planning. I go to some boards, find something that looks good, and then make it. I have found so many wonderful meals that I would never have discovered otherwise.

There are so many delicious foods out there!
  • davis978
    davis978 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Also, this is my favorite high protein pancake recipe, and it's totally filling enough for dinner, if you like breakfast for dinner.

http://betterwithcake.com/desserts/vanilla-spiked-protein-pancakes/

This recipe makes what I consider one serving, for less than 500 calories.
  • kilinnnda
    Options
    I love this lentil soup, I changed a few thing about for my healthy eating is a recipe I saw on the food network years ago. It's delicious and it will be enough for a whole week for two meals a day for one person.
    Ingredients

1 pound French green lentils (recommended: du Puy)
    1 tablespoon of coconut oil
    4 cups diced yellow onions (3 large)
    4 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts only (2 leeks)
    1 tablespoon minced garlic (2 large cloves)
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    3 cups medium diced celery (8 stalks)
    3 cups medium diced carrots (4 to 6 carrots)
    3 quarts Homemade Chicken Stock,(I just use water with natural bullion) but u prefer chicken stock the recipe follows, or canned broth
    1/4 cup tomato paste
    1 pound 90% lean beef sausage or kielbasa, cut in 1/2 lengthwise and sliced 1/3-inch thick
    2 tablespoons dry red wine or red wine vinegar

Homemade Chicken Stock:
    3 (5-pound) chickens
    3 large onions, unpeeled and quartered
    6 carrots, unpeeled and halved
    4 celery stalks with leaves, cut in thirds
    4 parsnips, unpeeled and cut in 1/2, optional
    20 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
    15 sprigs fresh thyme
    20 sprigs fresh dill
    1 head garlic, unpeeled and cut in 1/2 crosswise
    2 tablespoons kosher salt
    2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
    Directions

In a large bowl, cover the lentils with boiling water and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Drain.

In a large stockpot over medium heat, heat the olive oil and saute the onions, leeks, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, and cumin for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are translucent and tender. Add the celery and carrots and saute for another 10 minutes. Add the chicken stock, tomato paste, and drained lentils, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, or until the lentils are cooked through and tender. Check the seasonings. Add the kielbasa and red wine and simmer until the kielbasa is hot.

Homemade Chicken Stock:
    Place the chickens, onions, carrots, celery, parsnips, parsley, thyme, dill, garlic, salt, and peppercorns in a 16 to 20-quart stockpot with 7 quarts of water and bring to a boil. Skim the surface as needed. Simmer uncovered for 4 hours. Strain the entire contents of the pot through a colander, discarding the chicken and vegetables, and chill. Discard the hardened fat, and then pack the broth in quart containers.
  • labeastette
    Options
    You all rock! Thank you!! Guess I could cut the chicken, sausage and chicken stock from the lentil recipe and see how that goes. Forgot about the shrimp ceviche! Never had red lentils...will have to look into that as well. I appreciate everyone chiming in!

Thanks again!