ok needing help!! I am recently addicted to california rolls...

Options
I like the crab ones with just cucumber... I am trying to find the best lowest, salt, carb, etc ones. or is it better to make them myself.. I wouldn't even know where to start that lol... any ideas??

Replies

• foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'd say just go for it and eat them, but make sure it stays within your allotted range of carbs. I love sushi, but damn if it isn't carb heavy because I can just eat so much sushi in one sitting.
  • collettely4
    collettely4 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Making your own isn't too difficult - you just need sushi nori (the seaweed wraps), rice, crab sticks (try to get ones that are about as long as your nori) and cukes plus a sharp knife. Using a little bit of sesame oil on the knife is also supposed to help the knife slide through easier, though if you're worried about calories you can skip it. Buying a little bamboo mat for rolling makes it even easier. Just make sure that you use a stickier "glutinous" rice or it won't hold together very well.

http://makemysushi.com/index.php/How-to-make-sushi/maki-roll.html
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I would see if there aren't some youtube instructions bc it's kind of hard!
  • bonniedalberg
    Options
    If you're worried about being carb heavy, you could wet rice paper in warm water, stuff with crab/shrimp, cucumber, and any other herbs and wrap like mini burrito. Yum, yum, yum
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    It's not hard to make your own, I make veggie rolls (avocado and cucumber) with my kids. Look for short grain brown rice to raise some micronutrient levels if you want.

Sushi is delicious, eat up!
  • disneygirl626
    disneygirl626 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Try pinterest for instructions on how to make your own.
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I usually go with the same friend and he knows I take most of the rice out of the rolls. By the end of the night I have heaping hill of white rice lol. I can only do this around him. He thinks its funny. I also love seared salmon and sashimi which has no rice. I also eat edaami and ebi (sweet shrimp) without the rice. There are some rolls that have so much salmon etc in them that there isn't that much rice. I take the end of my chopstick and poke out the rice bits lol.