Good Weights for Beginner

Options
Hi Guys,

I've been looking at barbell/dumbell weight sets but to be honest I'm a little lost as to what I should get. I have 2x 2.5 kg dumbells at home which are definitely too light for any serious strength training, although they work OK for 30 day shred.

I want to build muscle and tone rather than lose loads, and I think I'd rather a barbell as it seems there's more room for growth with one than dumbells but happy to take advice on it.

The kits I'm looking at vary from around 15kg to 25kg at the cheaper end of the spectrum which I could afford now... or should I save up and be looking at something with higher weights on it? I definitely want to have my own set - I can't stand going to the gym and having to deal with other people around when I'm exercising

I'm 5ft 4 and weigh around 130lbs, in case that factors into it - I haven't done any serious, consistent weight training ever really before

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    IMO, go with a standard olympic barbell. how much weight you get to go with it depends on your ability, and you can easily buy more as you need them.

For dumbbells... The same philosophy applies with weight, but you can go wiht about whatever type of dumbbell you like, adjustable, rubber, hex, etc.

On a side note, consider deciding on a lifting program first, then get the weights you need to get started in that program.

Another side note - bars, plates, dumbbells... lots of good deals out there on used stuff. check your local classifieds, craigslist, etc.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If I had to pick, I’d go with a barbell.

A standard barbell will be about 20kg/45 lbs. New plates run about $1 per 1lb new. You should be able to go to a sports equipment resale shop, or look online (craigslist, ebay, etc.) and get a set for a lot less.

And don’t count out kettle bells. They are quite effective and you probably won’t need one over 20kg/45lbs.
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks guys I appreciate the help... I hadn't considers kettle bells really... I shall have a look at them too!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I use both on a fairly regular basis. Lots of people prefer dumbells as they engage stabilizer muscles more and too be honest are way more versatile and easier to store. You definitely should stay away from fixed weights unless you want to continually buy more as your strength improves. Not to mention, the weight you will be able to curl, press or life will vary greatly.
    pcmya13r01pp.jpg
    These things are awesome. You simply rotate the control knob to the weight you desire and the remaining plates stay behind. Expensive as hell but not when you consider buying 10 different weight pairs.
    Have fun
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    We're about the same size, and FWIW I got pretty far with a set of Power Blocks my brother bought used and gave to me. They adjust from 5 lbs to 45 lbs.

A barbell is a great idea too, and I wish I had one at home in addition to my dumbbells, but I don't really have the space to store one, and for what I want in home workouts, I like the versatility of the dumbbells.