p90x Equipment

Options
About to inherit some dvd for p90x from a friend for the summer, and I was looking at the site and it said you need a pull up bar and resistance bands. How necessary are both of these? The bands are easy enough to get, but what about the pull up bar? Really have no place to put one of those. Thanks for the help!

Replies

• AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    yes you NEED a pull up bar and you can hang them in your doorway and then they fit right undr the bed...you will be doing alot of push and pull ups...the bands are a necessity as well unless you have some small barbells....good luck!
  • heather0416
    heather0416 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    We got ours at walgreens. You don't have a door frame to put it in? I'm doing fat burning so I'm just using a mat and weights.
  • AwkwardPumpkin
    AwkwardPumpkin Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Alrighty, is it one of those things you can start with the weights and bands then get the bar later? I have a door frame but its rather complicated about that at the moment since this is not my house and the are worried it will damage the frame/paint.
  • BethG39
    BethG39 Posts: 17
    Options
    I've done P90X 3 times and have never used a pull up bar. I use a band with a door attachment. Good luck with it and remember to modify the moves to suit you!
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    I use the restistance bands, not the pull up bar and it has worked well. Tony and team show both options in every video so you will know how to modify the bands for pull ups.

I tie a knot in the band, open the door and close the knot on one side, with me on the other (a trainer showed me this years ago so I could work out on the road). Start with a band that provides enough resistance for you to get a good workout and then change bands as your strength increases. I am now up to the purple band!
  • zeeohhsix
    zeeohhsix Posts: 41
    Options
    If u cant do a pull up a bar isnt gonna help much.. I would start with the bands and as u get stronger progress to a pull up bar. my wife completed p90x and at the end could still not do a pull up so she still uses the bands
  • maurilax
    maurilax Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You DO NOT need the pull up bar, you can use the resistance bands with an attachment and hang them over the door similar to a lat pull down machine at the gym. my first 2 weeks of p90x i only had 1 40lb resistance band and it worked fine. I had to increase reps a lot but it was good to learn the moves.

Now I have handles that can hold 3 resistance bands, I have 10 20 40 60 and 100lb bands and can use up to 200lbs of resistance for lat pull downs to imitate pullups. being that I cant do 1 pull up because of my weight (yet) This is a far better option for me and it defiantly is working.

I recently broke down and bought some 30lb adjustable dumbbells just to change it up and because sometimes the bands can be annoying to use for certain moves.

edit - the bands im using now are LifeLine brand and are really awesome and durable. I believe they sell them at sports authority but you could get them on amazon too.

also you should be able to find a pull up bar for 25ish dollars that will fit in a door frame if that is the route you choose to go.
  • AwkwardPumpkin
    AwkwardPumpkin Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I might never need a pull up bar then to be honest when I was cheerleading in high school, even when I was in good shape I could never do a pull up. It would kill my wrists.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    The workouts will show you how to modify without a pull up bar. You do need resistance bands. You can get them through Beachbody, online through Bodylastic, TRX or at your local fitness store such as Sports Authority.