Water weight and bloating

Options
Okay so I need advice with water weight and bloating. I am always bloated and it is considerably worse during TOM. Are there any natural supplements or diet tweaks anyone can suggest?

Replies

• astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Keep your sodium in check. Drink lots of water (so your body doesn't hold onto it). I also have heard that cucumber water can help with bloating. All it is is just water with cucumber slices in it. It's actually quite refreshing.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I am a very bloaty person. I guess if I really wanted to take care of it I'd drink more water and consume less salt, but meh.
  • snackrifice9
    snackrifice9 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Limit your sodium intake. A lot of salt in your system causes your body to retain water.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I used to bloat like crazy, when my hubby went on a low sodium diet (I did by association) the bloat was gone, even during shark week.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I gain 7 pounds (of water) the day before TOM, so far nothing I've tried has changed this, (it drops off on its own by the time my period ends). However if I gain water due to high sodium intake if I drink lots of water the next day or two it seems to flush it out.
  • JessicaGrace2015
    Options
    Make note in your food diary when your feeling extra bloaty then after a few weeks look back and note if there are any similar food groups you were eating on those days. It could be something you are eating, that's bothering your stomach. For me its pasta, my body does not like pasta, just a small amount and I feel swollen and gross.
    Also try taking a probiotic, that will help your body break down food better and should help with the bloating.
  • PattiMackinnon
    PattiMackinnon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Caffeine free tea, pineapple and lemon are natural diuretics and the sodium is key to reducing water retention.
  • JM1481
    JM1481 Posts: 88 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    No magic wand but sometimes with the week prior it can help to stay away from caffeine, drink tons of water and eat foods lower in sodium and sugar.

I have heard these things help some but to be quite honest, it doesn't help me. I retain the water no matter what:/
  • ambition_is_beautiful
    Options
    Ok thanks guys! Most of these things I already do especially the cucumber/lemon water. I drink gallons of water and now I'm wondering if this is hurting or helping?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks guys! Most of these things I already do especially the cucumber/lemon water. I drink gallons of water and now I'm wondering if this is hurting or helping?

umm..you literally drink gallons of water per day?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Drink tons of water and watch your sodium.
  • ambition_is_beautiful
    Options
    i drink atleast 1 gallon and plus a quart per day...
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    i drink atleast 1 gallon and plus a quart per day...

How is your sodium though? I just had about a 1/4 of a salted jumbo pretzel (not normal for me) and it made me gain 4 lbs in one day. It took me 4 days to get back to normal (drinking over a gallon per day as well). Sodium is a killer especially if you're prone to bloating to begin with.
  • ambition_is_beautiful
    Options
    it HAS to be the sodium then, i had terriaki (sp) chicken the other night. So whats a good sodium goal for those prone to bloating?
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I can gain up to 12 pounds in water weight starting the day before my period an ending about 2 days after it's over. I find that Midol helps a bit with the bloating, but keep in mind that it's perfectly normal to gain water weight and if you drink lots of water and watch your sodium you'll be ok.