Breakfast proteins for the picky ?

Options
Hello, I'm having a difficult time getting a lot of protein for breakfast. First off it's my least favorite meal, I literally cannot stand eggs, sausage, or ham. I also have a tree nut allergy, (coconut, almonds, etc), and an artificial sugar allergy as well. I am a student and have to be at school by 6:50 am so my time is squeezed and rarely get enough time to eat all together. I've been drinking Carnation's Breakfast Essentials Shakes they contain 10 grams of protein and 240 calories, they're pretty good and usually eat 80 cal worth of cereal. I am certain there are healthier choices out there, thanks in advance!! xoxo

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    "Breakfast food" as a concept was invented by breakfast food companies to sell cereal and the like. You can have whatever you like as your first meal, it doesn't need to be "breakfast" meat/food. I have tuna and cottage cheese on crackers most weekday mornings. You could have some chicken breast, or beef (I like rissole type meat balls), or anything like that.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    You do not have to eat the typical breakfast foods at breakfast...Eat whatever you want. Lol.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You do not have to eat the typical breakfast foods at breakfast...Eat whatever you want. Lol.

This. Or a protein bar.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Pre-cook a bunch of chicken and brown rice, and portion it out for the week.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    You could make a little extra at dinner the night before and save it for breakfast the next day.
  • Gapeach718
    Gapeach718 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    "Breakfast food" as a concept was invented by breakfast food companies to sell cereal and the like. You can have whatever you like as your first meal, it doesn't need to be "breakfast" meat/food. I have tuna and cottage cheese on crackers most weekday mornings. You could have some chicken breast, or beef (I like rissole type meat balls), or anything like that.
    Breakfast was not made up by cereal companies to sell cereal. In the 20s 30s etc it was call break your fast hint breakfast. Yes you can eat what you want as oong as you eat something
  • soygorda18
    soygorda18 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

What she said. Food is food.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Gapeach718 wrote: »
    Breakfast was not made up by cereal companies to sell cereal. In the 20s 30s etc it was call break your fast hint breakfast. Yes you can eat what you want as oong as you eat something

I'm well aware of the meaning of the word breakfast. If you read my post, you'll note that I'm saying that the concept of certain foods being "breakfast foods" has been invented to sell said so called breakfast foods. There is a pervasive idea in Western culture that only certain foods are "breakfast foods" and that you have to choose from the limited pool. My point is, eat what the hell you want for breakfast, you're not limited to cereal, porridge, toast, eggs etc.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Gapeach718 wrote: »
    You don't have to eat anything.

• techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    How about some fruit and cottage cheese?

Oh, and yogurt! I mix oats and yogurt together for breakfast sometimes.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    zea912 wrote: »
    I literally cannot stand eggs, sausage, or ham.

Thinking of food as fuel instead of enjoyment is the first step towards good eating. Children have the luxury of being "picky" eaters. The rest of us eat what we need to eat.

If you want protein for breakfast, eat foods that contain it.

• tamaradwyer
    tamaradwyer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    http://www.doctoroz.com/recipe/dr-hymans-10-day-detox-diet-whole-food-protein-shake

Went for this recipe since you like a shake and seemed to want to try a whole food solution, but you have a lot of substitutes to do for your tree nut allergy. Pumpkin seeds and whey powder with blueberry, avocado and a fiber maybe? I think Carnation is a fine answer if you enjoy it, eat it. When I did these shakes I put all the ingredients in a mason jar beforehand then whizzed it up with an immersion blender each AM. Some people disliked this recipe but i think it about adjusting it to your taste buds. The avocado is weirdly good. The author has tons of substutions and variations, and I truly enjoy his recipes overall.

Me, I prefer oatmeal, with molasses for minerals and pumpkin seed to up the fat and protein. My sweetie gets homemade pumpkin muffins, also pumped up with oats, molasses and pumpkin seeds. Homemade protein bars are also a solution.

Hope that helps.
  • rainbow118
    rainbow118 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Chobani Simply 100 is sweetened with stevia. It has 12g of protein and 100 calories. I normally eat that and a banana for breakfast when I work.
  • jojo4613
    jojo4613 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am a nonbreakfast eater. For years it made me sick to eat it. My mom allowed me to eat whatever sounded good, however my stepmom tried her best to provide me with "good breakfast food" which left me wanting to puke.

I enjoy yogurt for breakfast. Greek yogurt packs a high protein content. You can eat it with berries or top it however you want. Or throw it in a blender with some veggies and fruit and make a smoothie.

If ecen that turns your stomach, make some protein/breakfast bars and take them with you to eat when your stomach will tolerate it. Good luck.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    eat what you like, within the program...some cheese and fruit gives you protein and fiber. Sometimes I'll have a little bit of cottage cheese or greek yogurt and then a couple of hours later have an apple. It's freeing to finally realize you don't have to eat typical breakfast foods for breakfast!
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I do protein shakes a lot adding fruit and oatmeal sometimes as well as peanut butter. I love greek yogurt with berries and cereal. My protein shake mixes with anything from water to milk and tastes great and only has 145 calories and 30 grams of protein.
  • brightwell44
    brightwell44 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I generally eat whatever I want for breakfast... Not just typical breakfast food. Heck I've even had sardines for breakfast
  • emc2fit
    emc2fit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    zea912 wrote: »
    I've been drinking Carnation's Breakfast Essentials Shakes

I don't think we have these in the UK but I just did a quick google of the nutritionals. Apparently of the 65g of carbs, 45g of that is sugar. Not a great way to start the day at all! I'd recommend a meal replacement protein shake if you prefer just to drink liquids. It'll have a higher protein content and a balanced ratio of carbs to fat. Some carbs might be from sugar seeing as you're allergic to artificial sweetener but shouldn't be as sugar packed as the carnation products (although now lots of protein brands are going big on stevia instead of sugar so you might want to try that too).

Have you tried protein porridge? A scoop of any flavour whey protein that you like with oats and water. YUM.