Is it more important to reach your protein goal or stay below your fat goal?

Options
If I still need to eat 60 more grams of protein but am already 9 grams over my fat, what's more important?

Thanks!

Replies

• Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    staying at your calorie limit is the most important overall, as long as you hit min fat requirements for body and brain function then your OK
  • enkenny
    enkenny Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I thought fat, protein and carb limits were most important and that's the whole point of keeping track? Because really I could eat 1500 calories of cupcakes and that's it for the day. I reached my calorie limit but didn't get enough of anything else at all.
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    What is more important depends entirely on what your goal is. It's really hard to comment without knowing what your intake is, what your goals are etc. It is true that you need to have a diverse range of macro and micronutrients, but it's really hard to give advice with very little information to go on.
  • johnjlangdoniv
    Options
    I agree with savvyfantastic.
  • enkenny
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight and have my goals set as 2 pounds a week. 1527 calories a day, 30% protein, 30% fat, 40% carbs. I usually workout and burn 500-700 calories a day so adjust food accordingly.

I notice that I never eat enough protein but always eat too much fat. So I'm wondering is it more important to keep up with protein intake or stay under fat.
  • enkenny
    Options
    I should add not just losing weight. Losing a few pounds but also get fit / gain muscle.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Well...there's kind of a lot to address here. For weight loss, it's about calories first. So you need to hit your deficit, and be careful of those exercise calories burned/eating them back because they seem like high estimates.

You won't build muscle in a calorie deficit, but you can maintain what you have (rather than losing it along with fat), by strength training and eating an appropriate amount of protein. So I'd say once you have your calories figured out, watch your protein first. I think you should be getting 1 gram per pound of lean body mass or .5 grams per pound of body weight. But I always screw those up-someone correct me if I'm wrong. (for an example, I weigh 138 and I eat anywhere from 110 grams to 140 grams on a high day).
  • arditarose
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    enkenny wrote: »
    I should add not just losing weight. Losing a few pounds but also get fit / gain muscle.
    Those are completely separate goals.

This. Also am I correct on those grams of protein? I always hear different things.
  • enkenny
    edited February 2015
    Options

Lose fat? I'm not sure how to word it sorry if it didn't make sense. Maybe I should just say stop looking like a muffin.
  • arditarose
    Options

Lose fat? I'm not sure how to word it sorry if it didn't make sense. Make I should just say stop looking like a muffin.

Losing fat and gaining muscle. Two separate goals.
  • enkenny
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Well...there's kind of a lot to address here. For weight loss, it's about calories first. So you need to hit your deficit, and be careful of those exercise calories burned/eating them back because they seem like high estimates.

You won't build muscle in a calorie deficit, but you can maintain what you have (rather than losing it along with fat), by strength training and eating an appropriate amount of protein. So I'd say once you have your calories figured out, watch your protein first. I think you should be getting 1 gram per pound of lean body mass or .5 grams per pound of body weight. But I always screw those up-someone correct me if I'm wrong. (for an example, I weigh 138 and I eat anywhere from 110 grams to 140 grams on a high day).

Thanks for the info!
  • arditarose
    Options

This. Also am I correct on those grams of protein? I always hear different things.

Are you asking me or the OP a question?

Lose fat? I'm not sure how to word it sorry if it didn't make sense. Maybe I should just say stop looking like a muffin.

If you want to lose fat then eat at a caloric dedicit, get in adequate nutrition and lift heavy. You can lose fat and attempt to preserve as much muscle as you can.

To achieve both simultaneously you're looking at a recomp and the chances of you achieving that now, from the start, with no experience are slim to none.

Sorry, I was asking you.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Depends on how tight you set your protein goal. If you are going g/lb you can hit .62 g/lb and that is sufficient based on a recent medical study so in that case I'd stay within your fat goal.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Ugh..according to that I need 143 g of protein per day, and it's hard enough for me to get even 90. :(
  • enkenny
    Options

Are you asking me or the OP a question?

If you want to lose fat then eat at a caloric dedicit, get in adequate nutrition and lift heavy. You can lose fat and attempt to preserve as much muscle as you can.

To achieve both simultaneously you're looking at a recomp and the chances of you achieving that now, from the start, with no experience are slim to none.

Thanks for clarifying.
  • enkenny
    Options
    foursirius wrote: »
    Depends on how tight you set your protein goal. If you are going g/lb you can hit .62 g/lb and that is sufficient based on a recent medical study so in that case I'd stay within your fat goal.

Do you happen to remember what the study was called or who it was by? Thanks!
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    For me, I limit my carbs and sugars and get as much protein as I can. I add in good fats as much as possible to help hit the calories I need.