PCOS

Options
Anyone here with PCOS?

What are you specifically doing to manage it? Eating less carbs, simply watching calories, etc.?

Are you taking Metformin/Glucophage for it?

Weight loss goals?

Just curious. I've known I've had PCOS for upward of 10 years now and I'm actually going to the Dr. this afternoon to discuss options as to why my Metformin doesn't appear to be working any longer. I follow a pretty strict 1200 to 1500 calorie a day diet, I work out 5 days a week (I love running so that's mostly what I do) and yet I've gained almost 20 pounds this past year (yes in 5 months!!) So I'm kind of at a loss, don't know what else to do.

Thanks for any input!

Replies

• jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230133-fit-for-future-families-may-2011?page=5 This group has some ladies with PCOS in it - they are so knowledgeable! Hope you can find some answers!
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hi! I also have PCOS. I've been on birth control pills to manage it since I found out (14 years ago), but have only recently become active in trying to manage it. I've been trying to eat mostly low-glycemic index foods (thought this weekend was totally an exception! lol) and exercise.

I'd love to know what others are doing, too!
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I'm not currently on medication as spironolactone wasn't working for me :( Need another appointment really. I'm managing by eating Low GI (although I've not done a great job at that since Easter - restarting tomorrow with Low GI) and exercising lots! I was also on the pill, but I'm changing to one that will benefit my PCOS more.
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories back? If you're only getting roughly 1200 daily and then you exercise you need to eat more of the burned calories back to prevent starvation mode from happening. I don't know much about PCOS from a weight point of view but I know a lot about it from a fertility point of view. Many of my friends had trouble getting pregnant because they had PCOS and had to take fertility meds to conceive.
  • rmdemattia
    rmdemattia Posts: 26
    Options
    Hey I have had PCOS for quite some time now (since I was 17) so for about 10 years. I have been managing it with Metformin 100mg 2xday and Yaz Birth control pills. I try to watch my carb and sugar intake only because I can feel the difference when I eat too much. Since I restarted taking the BC pills and Metformin I have last 25 lbs since December. I have since stopped losing weight so I have began counting calories and I will start a work out regimin this week.

Good Luck with your doctor on figuring out what works best for you. I know that my weight has historically gone up and down, even though I would diet and exercise. Our bodies can be mysterious frustrating machines!
  • wannabefit4life
    Options
    Fortunately I don't have to take meds for it with the exception of bcp. I try to stay within range of the carb goal given to me on here, I try and not to eat too many carbs in one sitting. Pretty much eliminating the sweet treats (especially if you have insulin resistance, which I do) is what gave me the greatest success. Once I started eating them again, even in moderation I started seeing a struggle with the scale.
  • playitloud93
    Options
    I also have PCOS. I have been prescribed Metformin, but I didn't like the way it made me feel so I don't take it any more. I have Implanon (the birth control rod placed in your arm), which I LOVE. It's really helped a lot. It completely took away my period, which I'm quite thankful for. I have found the 17 Day Diet to be really beneficial for weight loss. I haven't been able to lose weight at all with other diets (in fact, I couldn't even maintain my current weight), but I'm finding now that the weight is FINALLY starting to come off. It's actually not too hard to follow either!
  • thirteenblessings
    Options
    Thanks to everyone!

I'll try to answer some questions:

Yes I eat half of my exercise calories back. So I really eat about 1,500/1,600 a day and it nets out to 1,200 or 1,300. I zig zag sometimes too.

I did have to take Clomid to conceive both of my kids in addition to Metformin.

I only take 850 mg a day so perhaps I need more, but like someone posted, I really hate how I feel when I take more, I'm constantly sick and in the bathroom :)

Thanks, I'll definitely check out that group, awesome, thank you!

Thanks for all of the kind and helpful replies, keep them coming!!
  • thirteenblessings
    Options
    I usually do really really well when following a low GI diet, like South Beach Diet. But it's easier said than done, especially with two young children who don't follow a low GI diet :) Not that I feed my kids junk, but even granola bars and like goldfish crackers are up there on the index. Healthy for them, not for me. But it's hard to stay away from that stuff.

When I went to the store this past weekend though I loaded up on low GI foods and I'm going to try hard to stick to that, for at least a week, see what happes. PCOS doesn't like starchy carbs, that is for sure.
  • mommyofatoz
    mommyofatoz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was just recently diagnosed with PCOS. I am still in the process of finding a doctor to work with me (have been to 3 already). They all want to give me birth control and don't say anything about diet or exercise to control it. I did have one doctor prescribe spirolactanone, but I never got it filled because I was told I would have to watch my potassium. No one wants to give me metformin, because I am borderline hypoglycemic. So...what am I doing?

I just started the 17 day diet 5 days ago. As far as weight loss, I am not saying an official number till I've been on it a week, so I will actually weigh in and update on Thursday. How is this diet making me feel? MUCH BETTER! I had read that low carb diets were the way to go with PCOS, so I knew that was what I needed to do. When I heard about the 17 day diet, I researched and researched and finally decided to give it a try because I liked what I read and I knew I needed to do something because my weight keeps sneaking up there and my cycles have been horrible. I hope to see a difference in both areas, but would still like to find a doctor to keep track of my progress and help me out with all this.

I have also been taking alot of supplements for a while now...multivitamin, vitex, saw palmetto, fish oil, and milk thistle. I was taking cinnamon, which is suppose to be like metformin, and of course, I did notice that my blood sugar would drop, so I stopped taking it. I don't know if taking cinnamon or metformin while under a doctors care would be different or not, since they could probably adjust my diet to prevent the levels from dropping.

My husband was just recently diagnosed with diabetes and he has a good doctor, but we have to travel a ways to see her. He has an appointment at the end of the month, and I am thinking of asking if they take patients with pcos...worth a shot, I suppose...
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    Me! Although I am not insulin resistant at the moment, so no meds or anything for me. Right now, the doctor believes weight loss will help a lot, so that I what I am striving for.
  • rmdemattia
    rmdemattia Posts: 26
    Options
    My GYN is the one that diagnosed and manages my PCOS. She also prescribes and monitors my Metformin. Have you consulted your GYN, or even PCP?