Pregnant and Pre-diabetic

Options
I was wondering if anyone knows of good sources for diabetic and pre-diabetic pregnant women? I was recently diagnosed with Pre-Diabetes but also learned (happily) that I am pregnant. Simple carbs like crackers are literally the only things I can eat sometimes.

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone knows of good sources for diabetic and pre-diabetic pregnant women? I was recently diagnosed with Pre-Diabetes but also learned (happily) that I am pregnant. Simple carbs like crackers are literally the only things I can eat sometimes.

Welcome, Gwendolyn, and congratulations. :)

You need to talk to your doctor about this.
  • tlw9903
    tlw9903 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I would ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

That's absolutely the last thing you should be eating--simple carbs are not your friend and they aren't doing your baby any favors.

Your doctors should have suggested carb limits or sent you to a nutritionist. If you don't have that information, you need to get it right away.

Just to give you a very vague idea, I am pre-diabetic and try to eat under 100G carbs per day--absolutely no sugar, white flour, white rice or white pasta. All of my carbs come from veggies, fruit (limited), dairy and whole grains. A friend of mine recently had gestational diabetes--her daily carb limit was 120 G/day with a suggested 30 G/meal plus one snack.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Please talk to your doctor about this. If you haven't seen on obstetrician call one tomorrow and ask for an appointment. Tell them you've just been diagnosed as pre-diabetic. They will likely give you guidelines and refer you to a diatitian.
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Please ask your doctor, the forums are not the right place for your needs. congratts on the new bundle of joy coming into your life :smile:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Can you eat chicken, turkey, nuts?
  • ms_sapphire_76
    ms_sapphire_76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was gestational diabetic - 6 mo after delivery reg diabetic - your obgyn will send you to high risk obgyn due to the diabetes so they can put you on medication and or insilin if needed to keep your sugars down - you will also have to monitor sugars - and meet with dietitian - and they like to see you for lots of Apts and monitor your weight - and check for protein in your urine - I hope that helps give you idea of what's to come - best of luck on ur little bundle they bring so much joy

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Make an appointment with an endocrinologist. You need a diet plan for gestational diabetes, regular tests, monitoring your sugar and weight etc .