Should I workout or not?

Options
Do you exercise when your sick? Trying to sweat the cold away.
Or do you take it easy until the cold is over? Thinking rest will make it go away quicker.
I just got a nasty head cold. I went running on Sunday but Monday after a night of little to no sleep. I was too exhausted. Today it's moved into my chest. Not sure how it'll feel on my lungs. So would you workout or not?

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb I've heard is that if it is above the neck, workout. Below? Then take it easy or just rest....
  • RProhofsky
    RProhofsky Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Start your work out. See how the first 10 minutes go - then decide if you're going to finish or not.

Good Luck & Feel Better
  • jnoegrah
    jnoegrah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    personally if that was me, i'd rest. sounds like its getting worse.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I never workout when sick. The body it already fighting a cold, why make it try to repair muscle tissue on top of that. It will likely make your cold last longer if you stress your body with a workout too.
  • Sophronisba
    Sophronisba Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Honestly, for me, I like to workout while I'm sick because I'm afraid I'll lose momentum if I don't. But I will do something super-short and super-easy--it's more about maintaining a habit than about trying to burn a lot of calories or make a lot of strength gains.
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    rest, soup and sleep are essential right now
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It really depends. Sometimes I will workout and sometimes I won't. It all really depends on how I feel. If I'm caughing really bad then no...same with a sore throat. But if I'm just really snotty then I will. Try it for a little bit and if you feel worse then stop and just take it easy.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    If you're sick...that's generally a sign of your body telling you it needs rest.

Trying to "Sweat it out" never works as you're just opening yourself up to more infections in the process, not to mention bringing your own viruses to the gym for everyone else to enjoy.
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I never workout when sick. The body it already fighting a cold, why make it try to repair muscle tissue on top of that. It will likely make your cold last longer if you stress your body with a workout too.

This is what I think as well.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I workout if I feel up to it. And then I only do the bare minimum. I don`t push too hard. I`m just getting over a cold. I`m still not up to par, but it sure felt good to try.
  • thegirl68
    thegirl68 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've also always heard - "if it's in your head- go ahead! if it's in your chest- stay home and rest!"

feel better soon!
  • susyseq
    susyseq Posts: 94
    Options
    You should not workout when you are sick. I've read it is bad for your body to raise your heartbeat. You should rest and recover before you workout. Hope you feel better soon! :flowerforyou: