Healthy Recipes for Two?

Options
I am new to the weight loss process and changing my diet has been the hardest thing to do. I see so many recipes but implementing them is harder than I thought. Here is my issue:

Part 1 -My boyfriend and I work opposite shifts and we spend a lot of time away from home. We do not have an opportunity to cook a lot of meals. As a result we do not do a lot of grocery shopping. If I buy too many fresh foods, they go bad before we get a chance to use them. I need healthy recipes that can be reheated very easily and still taste fantastic or can be put together in a short amount of time.

Part 2 - My boyfriends eating habits are worse than mine. Finding foods that are healthy but he would eat them as well is very difficult. I can't buy separate foods because we go back to the issue of food going bad before we can eat it.

Any suggestions on recipes that can be made in advance that does not consist only of fresh foods? I know fresh food is better for you but I need some other options as well.

Replies

• anestor512
    Options
    Maybe grill some chicken breasts and turkey burgers to have available. Cook up some sweet potatoes or rice to go with it or you can throw the chicken in a salad. These will keep in the fridge for a few days. Another thing i like to do is crock pot salsa chicken. Place boneless skinless chicken breasts at the bottom of the crock pot and cover with salsa. Cook on low 10 hours or high 6-8hrs. When it's done shred with a fork. This can be used in chicken tacos, over rice, on a sandwich or even in salad.

Steamable veggies are a good option because you can just take them out of the freeezer and microwave it.

I've found really good recipes on skinnytaste.com that I've tried..super simple, healthy and yummy.
  • anlymc13
    anlymc13 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are in the same boat. We eat a lot of pita pizzas. They are so easy to put together and they taste delicious! I cook up some hot italian chicken sausage, crumbled, and chop some veggies and store them in the fridge until ready to cook! Super easy and super yummy!
  • AviBZ
    AviBZ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What we sometimes do when my wife and I are in work crunch mode is to make a big pot of vegetable soup with some chick peas. We also make a batch of brown rice and lentils. The soup is always ready, and you can heat it up quickly. The rice and lentils can be eaten by itself, or can be quickly dressed up with things like eggs, tomato sauce and cheese, browned onions, or even in the soup. It's not the most exciting, but it's healthy and convenient. We get several days worth of meals from it. I have a bunch of other fairly easy "cook once, eat for days" type recipes. If you're interested please feel free to send me a friend request.