Heart rate monitors

Options
Hello Everyone!

I having been working out 3 to 4 times a week at the Planet Fitness in my area. I absolutely LOVE going there. I know the machines keep a calorie count, but I am unsure how accurate they are. So I am interested in purchasing a Heart rate monitor that will help keep track of calories. Knowing NOTHING about them, I am looking for some advice on what to buy. Do these things even exsist? I see people with things on their arms all the time, I am assuming that's what they are.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for the continueing suppor on MFP, I truly enjoy this website! :-)

:flowerforyou:

6720589.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• 1bubblybroad
    Options
    I have a sport watch that has a heart rate monitor and calculates calories burned by that. It says it's ECG accurate. I've tested it taking my own pulse against the watch, and it seems very accurate. It does other things as well, but I use it mostly to calculate my cals burned. You take your heart rate periodically throughout your work out. It's pretty cool. It will beep if you're HR is too low AND if it is too high. I got it at Walmart. I think around 40 bucks. It's a Pro Form TX 100. I've had it for months now and no complaints. Hope that helps. :)
  • dalcatch22
    dalcatch22 Posts: 3
    Options
    Try this site out. I found the one for me by looking here. Good Luck!

http://www.heart-rate-monitor-watches.com/which-heart-rate-monitor.html
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    There are tons of HRMs out there and at all price levels. I got a Polar P7 last year and it was the best $80 I ever spent! I'd do some google searches & look on Amazon to read the reviews. Last time I was in Best Buy I saw a wall of fitness supplies that included lots of HRMs too. I got mine from my local running store because they give nice discounts. Finding out how much I burned when running, lifting, and things like mowing the lawn (all non cardio equipment) really helped encourage me to get off the elliptical more often and round out my workouts.
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You don't absolutely need one that calculates the calories for you, since you can use your average heart rate (which even the most basic HRM will give) to get a pretty good accounting by entering a few numbers into a calculator online.
    I have a Polar FT1, which gives me my average HR and max HR over the course of my workout time. It was around $80. You do need one with a chest strap and watch. Polar is a very well known and reputable company, so I decided to go with them to ensure it would be accurate. I find that just seeing my HR gives me extra motivation to push myself. :)
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and it's the best fitness purchase I've made along with good running shoes.
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    That's my goal too! I want to do more then the elliptical and cross training. I bike ride often on a canal that stretches through a few counties around here. It's a great ride and am interested in seeing out many calories I am burning on those rides..... I usually travel about 4-5 miles one way.

Thanks for the advice, ill look into it for sure!
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know you could enter it on a calculator online. LOL. So much to learn.