What do you do on a day when you can't stop eating?

Options
2»

Replies

• onelentilatatime
    onelentilatatime Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    how many calories a day do you regularly consume?

My target is 2050 which I have been largely hitting lately. But I think it is a bit too restrictive. It corresponds to a 2lb loss a week. I may increase it a little. 1lb a week seems easier to handle.
  • mommastepp
    mommastepp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    the last thing to do is beat yourself up. Change your environment and go for a walk.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    how many calories a day do you regularly consume?

My target is 2050 which I have been largely hitting lately. But I think it is a bit too restrictive. It corresponds to a 2lb loss a week. I may increase it a little. 1lb a week seems easier to handle.

Oh yea, if you can adjust it, go for it. I am already down to .5/week so I am at the bottom of adjustments...blah.

And eating out is hard for sure when you are traveling.

Hitting a grocery store instead of restaurant can help. That way you can buy fresh fruit and veggies. Some stores will even cook your fish for you.

• salemxo
    Options
    I've had a terrible terrible day today. But I know that going for a walk, drinking loads of water and eating protein helps me.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this sometimes as well. What I do is set a number above me calorie goal (so say 2500 cals instead of 1300) that I want to stay below. I remind myself that if I stay on course, I can have a little of what I want today and some tomorrow as well. Even if I do raid the kitchen without forethought, I record it after so if I see a spike on the scale I know why.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of approaches I'd use. It truly depends how regularly this happens. If its a weekly (or more frequent) thing, I'd look at reasons it's happening so frequently. The number one thing would be my overall caloric deficit. I am still trying to lose 2 lbs a week with 15 lbs or less to lose? If so, I maybe rethink my goals and accept a slower rate of loss. Am I doing a lot more exercise or just generally more active then usual? If so I probably need to eat a little more to compensate. Am I getting in a good ratio of macro nutrients and enough micro nutrients? If not, I'll readjust what I'm eating. Often times increasing protein and fat can lead to increased satiation. Other times, increasing overall carb intake will help stop those insane carb cravings. This is largely individual so play around and see what works for you.

If it's not a question of what or how much I'm eating, here's a great question to ask: How long have I been in a deficit? If I've spent more then 10 weeks in a deficit without a break, I take one. A 2 week diet break (where you increase calories to maintenance) can be quite helpful both physiologically and psychologically. Maintenance breaks might be one of the best dieting tips that no one is doing (or at least not enough people are doing). I take them usually every 8 weeks of dieting. If you have lots of weight to lose, you can stretch it to 10-12 weeks.

Now if this is not a regular occurrence, and happens maybe once a month. I wouldn't worry too much. Eat a little bit more and don't sweat. It's not the one of's or the rare occasions that determine long term results. There are 365 days in a year and if your hitting your goals on most of the days, the few days a year you aren't are going to be of little consequence. The only way these rare days can mess you up is how you react to them. Some people can let one binge turn into 2 turn into 3 turn in to abandoning their diet. Don't let that happen. If you have a binge, just move on. If it's not a regular occurrence don't even think about it. Just get right back to hitting your goals the next day. If these binges start to become more frequent, ask yourself the question I mentioned before.

TL/DR: If it happens a lot, find out why and correct. If it doesn't happen a lot, don't worry about it and move on.
  • onelentilatatime
    onelentilatatime Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    A 2 week diet break (where you increase calories to maintenance) can be quite helpful both physiologically and psychologically.

This is such a great idea. I had planned to do something similar but mainly to experience maintenance level calorie consumption, being that I am usually undereating or overeating so don't know what maintenance feels like. But then I got impatient and decided to keep pushing it.
    vismal wrote: »
    Some people can let one binge turn into 2 turn into 3 turn in to abandoning their diet. Don't let that happen.

This is the key issue. You can try and just move on, as you suggested, but I think things change physiologically after a binge and you want to keep on eating calorific food. It takes me a day or three to re-acquire all my healthy eating habits.
  • hinaisold
    hinaisold Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've found this helps me a lot.
    zfgxrkyuqiud.jpg

Also sugar free chewing gum. Distracting myself works too.
  • novembersuse
    novembersuse Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think just accept it. If you're losing weight consistently, then you obviously know what you're doing and it's working. I get days like that. You can be good day after day, and then one day you just eat everything in sight. I think that a day of bingeing will no more ruin your regime than a day of fasting will make you skinny :)
  • zipitzippy
    zipitzippy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Oh how I hate hungry days - I try and load up on filling food and non-junk if I can. So nuts, bananas, soup and tea all help me, and rice cakes are a life saver that stop me craving crisps. I realise if my belly is full and I'm still craving, there's not much I can do about it, so distractions such as walks help me. Sometimes though you just need to eat, and should listen to your body. Don't beat yourself up, the next day is a fresh day to start again.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Those days for me tend to coincide with PMS and heavy workouts the day before. When it happens I eat. If your body is wanting food then it's hungry and I've not yet found the bottle of water that will fix it (though water is good). I make sure I'm eating healthy fats with protein and lots of veggies.
  • EarlyBirdBex
    EarlyBirdBex Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I find that eating a few almonds and slamming a water really helps. And I chew sugar-free gum when I feel like snacking but am not truly hungry.
  • FinFoxPT
    FinFoxPT Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about your health you need to work out the route cause. Either your body chemistry is messed up or there are emotional reasons for your eating habits.

Body chemistry required a radical lifestyle change. If you want to eat high calorie foods with sugar/starchy carbs/artificial sweeteners etc you will ALWAYS battle against them. It's like adding small amounts of petrol to a diesel car...

Emotional reasons can't always be uncovered and tackled alone. Best advice is speak to a doctor.

Either way if you know what size you want to be work out why you want that. Not... ok I want to get into this outfit, it has to be what would wearing that outfit mean to you? Once your reasons are compelling enough and you're realistic, educated and focused nothing gets in your way. It sounds easy but it's like being in a burning building, once you know where the exit is you're going for it and nothing will stop you.

Hope this helps!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I eat but, make healthy choices. I NEVE B) R starve my body. Life is too short for that!!