Frustrated - why aren't I losing??

Options
I've been a bit of a yo-yo dieter all my life, nothing special there, but recently I've been getting focussed more on getting fit than losing weight. So, I'm now going to the gym 3 times a week (started beginning December), drinking more water, and keeping to an average of 15oo cals a week (it goes up at the weekend, but I have a couple of days during the week where I'm under so it evens out).
BUT - I'm not losing any weight! So, even though I'm trying to not focus on the weight thing, it's really starting to get me down that I'm putting in this effort and not losing :neutral_face:
I am feeling fitter, and I guess I'm getting a bit more toned, but it's hard to see that under the layers of flab.
I should weigh about 5st less than what I am.
Any suggestions, please!?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    do you weigh everything you eat with scales?
  • randomredhead
    randomredhead Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've got electronic scales that I use...........
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements and lost any inches?

Are you active apart from those 3 workouts?

Do you eat back exercise calories?

As above, are you accurate with logging?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

how much more do you eat on weekends?
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Do you have any objective markers of progress at the gym that you could focus on? "Feeling fitter" is nice and all, but I'm thinking something like: longer running time, increasing bench PR, faster average bike cadence. That might offset some of the scale frustration.

As for the number stagnation, if you *are* still wanting to lose weight as a secondary goal, my suggestion (based on my own experience) would be that you are eating more subconsciously as a response to the increased activity. Slightly larger serving sizes, sneaking little handfuls or bites while serving, non-logged meals getting a little bigger or eating more of restaurant meals, and so forth.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    There are several things you can do.
    1) pay attention to what you are eating. Not all calories are the same. Try cutting or replacing foods to see if that helps, like no diet pop or replacing fat free anything with a less amount of full fat.
    2) toss the scale and just listen to your body. Our bodies are amazing strange things. If you are eating healthy and working out then good things are happening. Weight loss just may not be the first thing that happens. Your lungs and heart may be mending, your guts may be running smoother, your muscles may be getting stronger.
    3) if you truly feel like you are doing your best and the weight really isn't coming off, go see a doctor. There are actual medical conditions that may cause weight loss nearly impossible. Anything from thyroid problems to PCOS. Knowing will help you better understand what you need to do.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

But are you weighing accurately? Are you picking accurate entries from the database? Are you calorie goals set correctly? Are your exercise calories correct. Weightloss is just a mathematical equation if your not losing weight the equation is off. Yes different foods effect overall health but weight is just calories in calories out. Some links that may help you

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I would check your math in a few respects. First, are you sure about your weekly average? If you have some under days,ît can only be a 100 or 200 calories. On a weekend, you can easily go over 1000 or more. Second, make sure you're being realistic about your calorie burn. Third, be meticulous about measuring your intake. I think this site overdoes the "weigh everything" advice, but when you're not losing consistently with your deficit, you need to double check your deficit calculations.
  • FinFoxPT
    FinFoxPT Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If you drive to work and focus on hitting the post... you will hit the post. The scales will never be able to tell you if you have water/muscle or even hair weight. Focus on the pleasure of eating right and fitness. Give yourself a break too... look at your fitness and your size. Where were you a year ago. How brave was that person to start this journey and get you where you are right now. How much would you have wanted to be where you are right now. This is the time to celebrate your achievement and reset your goals. You will never be happy long term with this until you're excited with the now.
  • ereckless82
    ereckless82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Foxyfin wrote: »
    If you drive to work and focus on hitting the post... you will hit the post. The scales will never be able to tell you if you have water/muscle or even hair weight. Focus on the pleasure of eating right and fitness. Give yourself a break too... look at your fitness and your size. Where were you a year ago. How brave was that person to start this journey and get you where you are right now. How much would you have wanted to be where you are right now. This is the time to celebrate your achievement and reset your goals. You will never be happy long term with this until you're excited with the now.

This!
  • Bigbluefrog
    Bigbluefrog Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Muscle will weigh more than fat. be kind to yourself your working out is a huge positive.
    is it that time of the month? Hormones can make you retain water.
    Watch out for diet soda! Lots of sodium
    Breakfast, include protein eggs or smoothie
    Good luck, don't be discouraged
  • randomredhead
    randomredhead Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions and words of encouragement, they're much appreciated :-)
    I've done some analysis of what I've been logging, although there are some gaps where I've obviously overindulged and not wanted to admit it! But, assuming 3000cals for those days (a lot I know, but it's been weekends where too much alcohol was involved!), my average comes out at 1900cals, which would explain why I haven't been losing, but on the plus side I haven't gained either. I also tried on a pair of trousers that were too tight to be seen in public in, and they fit better, so now I feel that the gym must be doing something positive too.
    So, plan is to log every day whether I go over or not, keep up the gym, and have less empty calorie laden alcohol.
    You guys got me to look at this objectively and work out a plan for moving on, so thanks again!
  • kateC34
    Options
    Muscle will weigh more than fat. be kind to yourself your working out is a huge positive.
    is it that time of the month? Hormones can make you retain water.
    Watch out for diet soda! Lots of sodium
    Breakfast, include protein eggs or smoothie
    Good luck, don't be discouraged

Muscle and fat weigh the exact same! A pound is a pound no matter what it is. Muscle is more dense and that's where lost inches come into play.

It takes 6-8 weeks of consistent activity for you to start seeing any real weight loss. Your body isn't used to what youvare doing, so water retention and torn muscles tend to account for possible weight gain or lack of weight loss during this time. However, if you measure yourself you will notice lost inches, as well, feeling better - both BIG pluses!! Once you hit that 8 week mark, you should start to see weight come off, however, you also need to change things up with your exercise as your body will get used to what you are doing and plateaus will happen.

Having treat days are good, however, treat weekends, every weekend will also account for your lack of weight loss.

• ehatcher34
    ehatcher34 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, in order to lose weight you have to be consistent in your diet and workouts. You cannot allow yourself to slack or eat more over the weekend. If you do, it shows on the scale, slows your metabolism and then you wont continue to lose weight. Sorry, I wish it weren't true either, I also battle with that over the weekend. Instead choose one treat or one "cheat meal" on the weekend (only one) if you are perfect during the week...otherwise don't do it!