Tax Refund...What should I buy to help me reach my goal?!

Options

Replies

• blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    A digital food scale won't cost much, you should be able to get that as well as a fitbit?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Books on healthy eating and exercise
  • eangel1023
    eangel1023 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Decent shoes (runners or cross-trainers), good heart rate monitor, set of bands, mat, push up bars, and doorway pull up bar. You can do all of that for under $300 if you shop around and use ebay, and get one hell of a work out in a close space if you are motivated.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Food scale gets my vote. A pair of running shoes too.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Go on a vacation that involves being active. Treating yourself well should feel good.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I'd go for good running shoes and a couple of *real* sports bras, lol, and that would pretty much eat up all my refund.
    I liked the Costco membership suggestion, too. And put some in the bank. Moderation, sustainability, thrift and efficiency ... what we are learning about healthy choices stretches across all aspects of life.
  • PunkyButt67
    PunkyButt67 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit which syncs with this app and many others. I really like it! Hoping to purchase an Aria scale soon (scale that also syncs with fitbit). Good luck on whatever you choose!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I would buy a squat rack :-)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    A Fitbit, heart rate monitor, or food scale would be the best bet if you don't have any those.

I am debating between a step counter (Fitbit) or a HRM

Fitbit makes devices with HRM's also. I love my Surge because of the HRM (used to have a One). The Surge also has smartphone connectivity so you can read texts and see incoming caller ID. If you have an iPhone, you can manage music on it, but it is not compatible with Android for that. Also, the Surge has a GPS for outdoor walks/runs/hikes.

If you don't want to spend the extra money for the smartphone and GPS, I understand, but you can get the step counter and HRM in the Charge HR.

Finally, you should get a food scale. If you do nothing else, at least get a food scale. They are not terribly expensive (mine was less than $30) and help with more accurate food inputs. If it is a question of more accurate food inputs (with a food scale) or more accurate exercise inputs (with a Fitbit), get something that will help with more accurate food inputs. It is way too easy to overestimate on food.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Food Scale (got mine on Amazon), Polar Ft7 ($76 on Amazon) or any good HR monitor, Cute workout clothes, good shoes
  • mcharo78
    mcharo78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Charge HR is a activity tracker with a heartrate monitor. It'll cost you about $275-$300 but worth it. There is a HR monitor that let's you know when you are in the cardio rate zone but I'm not sure which one. But if I could afford it, I would definitely get that one. right now I just have the Fitbit One.
  • jennyjenjen44
    Options
    I bought a fitbit flex 5 days ago and absolutely love it! I park further away from stores to get more steps in, dance around the house, walk my kids to school. It keeps you mentally aware of how much more moving you can do.
    I also suggest a food scale. It helps to measure food more accurately. I just bought a simple one when on sale and it does the trick.
    If any money left, I would suggest keeping for when you get to a goal, then splurging on new clothes, weights, etc.
    Good luck!
  • TNFirefly
    TNFirefly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    FITBIT!!!!!!
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale!
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    *sigh* I remember the good old days of getting a refund instead of only breaking even at tax time.
    Anywho, I think you should buy a HRM. Polar FT4
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Tldavis3s wrote: »
    If you run, go get fitted and buy a pair of nice running shoes at a running store. I always workout better in a new outfit too!

I was just going to say this! I'm actually going to get my new shoes this coming weekend so I will have time to break them in before my first race that I've signed up for in April . . . I've been wearing New Balance 1080s for a little over a year, time for some new ones :)

And if you're a runner - compression gear (if you wear it) is always a good investment
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    *sigh* I remember the good old days of getting a refund instead of only breaking even at tax time.

You should break even if you are doing it right. OP I would get an accountant :p
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I would do a heart rate monitor over a fitbit. The fitbit can be wildly inaccurate and if your working out and only works for activities involving step. A a heart rate monitor can calculate the calorie burn much more accurately and can be used for any activity. I find that my fitness pal does a pretty good job at estimating calories and when I use my monitor, i just enter in the calories burned during exercise. I use a polar FT4, its cheap and does the job.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

You should break even if you are doing it right. OP I would get an accountant :p

If she's a student you usually get quite a bit back because most students can write of their tuition which decreases their taxable income. When I was a full time student I got $2,000 + CDN back almost every year simply due to writing off school expenses and that was done by an accountant.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    As mentioned earlier ... without knowing your goals and activities there is no way for people to give informed advice so you'll get a list of things they'd spend your money to get. If your weight is tracking in the right direction, you might not need to spend your refund on gear and could direct that money towards something else (savings, paying down education costs, etc). If you're determined to spend some of it on fitness / diet gear there are tons of options still.

In the tracker realm, there are all day activity trackers, GPSs, HRMs, and combination devices ... each with their pros and cons (in the case of combinations, areas where they compromise accuracy in one aspect in their effort to fill multiple roles). Without knowing if you run, swim, bike, row, dance, play organized sports, etc ... it is impossible to recommend a device that will work for you, if such a device exists (calories for some activities are not accurately calculated by devices). If you bike, maybe you choose to spend the money on some new accessories .. or a bike to get you started. New clothes ... workout or work attire at the size you project to be after graduation. Entry fees for races. Donations to my personal slush fund are always welcome.

For reviews of different HR and GPS type products, I look to DC Rainmaker for side by side (quite literally in many cases) comparisons of products.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/