Extra cals from exercise

Options
Hi all, have just started using MFP along with an exercise regime 4 times a week. My aim is to lose 2 stone (am 8lbs down since start of year).

My question relates to the extra calories you get from exercise - I don't quite trust the accuracy of the calculation to eat them all - how accurate do you think they are? And in theory if you don't eat them all then you should lose more weight - right?

Michelle

Replies

• TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you want to lose weight, than the formula is "more calories out than in". I wear a heart rate monitor, and I've observed that MFP isn't too badly off from what I actually burn. Just make sure you have your personal data entered and up to date.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    MFP usually overestimates burns, therefore most people eat half.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    that question has been asked a lot here. I hear people say you should eat at least half of them back. Also MFP often over exaggerates calories burned so the only true way to know how many calories you burn is to wear a heart rate monitor. It would seem to me that if you did not eat any of them back you would lose more weight as long as you are tracking food accurately and burning more calories than you are taking in. I am sure people with more experience will comment. Good luck!!
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Good MFP article on the topic of "eating back calories from exercise:

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-should-i-eat-back-my-exercise-calories/
  • michellepearson224
    Options
    Thankyou - will stick with eating half as suggested.