Lifting - simple please!

Options
Please can someone help... I'm a 43 year old woman, 5'7", 162lbs, so not very overweight but still got a bit to go. I pretty much have my diet and cardio sorted but lifting... sigh. I don't have access to a gym but have dumbells and a bar with the adjustable weights at home. My problem is that I don't have anyone to watch me, so there are some lifts I'm a bit wary of doing. Mostly because I don't have a huge amount of space and have glass cabinets / TV / windows which I really don't want the end of a wayward, wobbly bar to go through... Also, whenever I try to google a programme I get so confused as to EXACTLY what I need to do. Can someone give a gal a hand and literally do an idiots list as to what I could do to see some progress. e.g.

5 deadlifts
rest 30 seconds,
5 dumbell squats
rest 30 seconds

repeat above 3 times in a row.

I think that's what Stronglifts is, but although I'm sure it's obvious to most people, I just can't quite work out EXACTLY how many of what in what order and when to rest... sorry to be so dim, but I really would like to start making some lifting progress.

Also, what weight would you suggest I start with? For example, I can lift a 5kg dumbell straight up in the air about 12-15 times before I start to wobble. Will that make a difference in time?

Thanks a million for anyone who attempts to help this old numpty! This site is the best! :smiley:

Replies

• BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Just hit up the StrongLifts 5x5 site @ http://stronglifts.com for free and you'll find all the information you're seeking!
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You said you were wary on certain movements:

Film yourself doing things like deadlifts and squats from the side to make sure your form is good and make sure your back doesn't round at all and that you get enough depth on squats etc.

I see so many people at the gym I go to going far too heavy and relying on their spotter to help them with squats, rounding their back during deadlifts and doing half reps on the bench, all it would take is three quick 30 second videos to realize that their form is awful!

When you said 30 seconds rest each set, I'd take more than that by far, especially on compounds (deadlift, squat and if you bench heavy, that too.)

Also stick with the same movement for a certain amount of sets. As in 5x5 I'm guessing it's 5 sets of 5 reps.

Good luck :)
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just hit up the StrongLifts 5x5 site @ http://stronglifts.com for free and you'll find all the information you're seeking!

Thank you for the link but you see.... I honestly HAVE looked at the site before which is why I mentioned it but I'm so dense it just doesn't make sense. For example, it says on Monday I should 5x5 squats, 5x5 benchpress and 5x5 barbell row. Lovely... what does that mean?! Do I do 5 squats then 5 benchpresses then 5 barbell rows and then start again with the squats until I've done 25 of each one in total, And then when do I rest? In between each set of 5 or after I've done all three different moves? Or do I do 25 squats, then 25 benchpresses then 25 barbell rows...? And if so, when do I rest then...?

See I said I was stupid, I just can't work it out, I'm sure it says somewhere and I'm just not seeing it or I'm sure it's obvious to everyone else, but it just isn't to me! :(
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Go to the Strong Lifts website, and read what you can. I think they have a Q&A. Also, there is a free app on the Android market--it may be on the Apple market too. Download it on your phone or device, and it tells you what weight to increase by, which exercise to do, how long to rest, etc. It also tells you what to do when you hit failure, if you've skipped working out too long, etc. It has an A and B workout. You alternate them with a rest day in between. You do one exercise at a time 5x5, except deadlifts--which is one set of 5. You do the exercises in order so you don't tire out when you need to do heavier lifts. You can make minor substitutions--such as doing goblet squats for barbell squats like I do, because my form is bad mainly due to my knees. Read about how to do the exercises and watch the videos.
  • SLLeask
    Options
    alyhuggan wrote: »
    You said you were wary on certain movements:

Film yourself doing things like deadlifts and squats from the side to make sure your form is good and make sure your back doesn't round at all and that you get enough depth on squats etc.

I see so many people at the gym I go to going far too heavy and relying on their spotter to help them with squats, rounding their back during deadlifts and doing half reps on the bench, all it would take is three quick 30 second videos to realize that their form is awful!

When you said 30 seconds rest each set, I'd take more than that by far, especially on compounds (deadlift, squat and if you bench heavy, that too.)

Also stick with the same movement for a certain amount of sets. As in 5x5 I'm guessing it's 5 sets of 5 reps.

Good luck :)

Thank you for replying! It's not really my form I'm worrying about not having someone around for, it's because I daren't try to do certain overhead bar lifts in case I get the wobbles and the thing goes sideways and into something breakable - rented house you see! I don't mind the dumbells because they can't projectile quite so far so quick! :D I was also randomly putting a number (30 secs) in for rests since I have no clue what I should do! It was more to show the kind of simpleton list of step-by-step how-to that I was hoping for that is easy to follow! How long would you recommend I rest between how many lifts?
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Workout A: Squat 5x5, Bench Press 5x5, Barbell Row 5x5
    Workout B: Squat 5x5, Overhead Press 5x5, Deadlift 1x5

You workout 3 days a week with a rest day between and alternate between A and B. For example: Week 1: Monday workout A, Wednesday workout B, Friday workout A, Week 2: Monday workout B, Wednesday workout A, Friday workout B. Repeat.

You need to work on proper form first so use low weights or even just a broomstick and make sure you master the form before you start increasing weights or you'll injury yourself.

• quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Here's a (hopefully) easy to follow breakdown of the Stronglifts routine, as I understood it (and how I did it!)

Workout A:
    1. Squats 5 sets of 5 reps each (5x5)
    2. Bench press 5x5
    3. Barbell row 5x5

Workout B:
    1. Squats 5x5
    2. Overhead press 5x5
    3. Deadlift 1 set of 5 reps (1x5)

Do one exercise at a time. So all squat sets, then all bench sets, then all barbell row sets. Try to go in the order listed, but if you have to mix it up based on availability of equipment, it's not the end of the world! For all of these, try and complete all 5x5 (or 1x5 for deadlifts) using the SAME weight. So for example, squat 45 lbs for all 5x5 for Monday's workout. Rest for 30 seconds in between if you found them fairly easy to do. If they were a little tricky or you missed a rep, rest more 90 seconds or even up to 3 minutes if you need to. Try to hit all your reps and sets, but if you can't, IT'S OKAY :) when you miss a rep, it's best to rest a little longer.

Schedule: 3 times a week alternating between A and B. For example...
    Week 1: Monday workout A, Wednesday workout B, Friday workout A
    Week 2: Monday workout B, Wednesday workout A, Friday workout B
    and repeat...

Since these are full body workouts, try and have at least one rest day in between. Recommended not to do back to back days for something like stronglifts.

I personally started with an empty barbell (weighs 45 lbs) for all of them, except for overhead press (started with 35 lb bar). If you complete the 5x5 (or 1x5) successfully, then the next time you do that exercise, you add 5 lbs. Deadlifts is recommended 10 lbs add each time. If you "fail", i.e., miss a rep, then the next time you do that exercise, you try the same weight again. For example, if you bench press 45 lbs 5x5 successfully, next time you do bench press, you bench 50 lbs. If you miss a rep (and it's okay to!!), then you would try 45 lbs again next time you bench. If you download the stronglifts app, it is very helpful in letting you know how much weight to add on each time.

The most important thing I can stress is FORM! Make sure you are doing these lifts properly and safely! Check out videos on youtube or ask someone who is knowledgeable to check your form. Lifting is great and will do wonders for you, but it's also very easy to hurt yourself!

Hope this helps! Stronglifts was the first lifting program I did (had no prior lifting experience) and I really enjoyed it, as well as the results I got! Let me know if you have any other questions :) good luck and be safe!
  • rgauthier20420
    rgauthier20420 Posts: 52 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The 5x5 sets means you'll do 5 sets of 5 reps each. So here's how I'd do it.

5 sets of 5 reps each of squat. Rest 2 minutes in between each set of 5 reps. Complete all 5 sets.
    Rest 4 minutes
    5 sets of 5 reps each of bench. Rest 2 minutes in between each set of 5 reps. Complete all 5 sets.
    Rest 4 minutes
    5 sets of 5 reps each of barbell row. Rest 2 minutes in between each set of 5 reps. Complete all 5 sets.

The program describes how progression should go. It also describes what you should do if you aren't able to get the 5 reps on any given set.
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If the weight was easy on the set, you rest 90 seconds, if it was hard or you hit failure, rest 2 to 3 minutes.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are already doing alot of the right things. Don't let it get you down.

I did free weights at home for a year or two but it just got to be too much as the weight size grew. Plus using my wife as my spotter got to be sketchy. I ended up joining Planet Fitness since it is only 10 bucks a month. It is ALOT safer and I can hit ALOT more weight especially on my legs and back... which are large muscles that you can build.

Stronglifts is good. But it is only one system. I still do the whole body exercises often. I never did do the 5x5 system. I saw a similiar workout in a muscle mag that had you doing one whole body exercise and doing one exercise which helps you do more of the whole body one.

I was doing pyramiding (max weight for 12 reps, more weight (5 per arm) for 8 rep max, and then 10 pounds more or whatever so that I went to failure after about 3 reps (2-5). I gained alot of muscle this way, but with the rests I was hitting an hour workouts which is bad for building (should be less than 45 minutes).

Now I am doing a dropset (stripset, quickset, whatever) and I have to crawl out of the gym... but it only takes 30 minutes.
  • RaeLB
    Options
    After reading some responses... are you supposed to maintain the same weight for all 5 sets? I was taught to increase each set by 5lbs to reach my max on my 5th set.

For example if week 1 my squat max is 100lbs, I would do 1 set of 80lbs, 1 set of 85lbs, 1 set of 90lbs, 1 set of 95lbs, 1 set of 100lbs. Then if week 2 my max is 105lbs, I would do 1 set of 85lbs, 1 set of 90lbs, 1 set of 95lbs, 1 set of 100lbs, 1 set of 105lbs and so on.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    @SLLeask wrote:
    "what weight would you suggest I start with? For example, I can lift a 5kg dumbell straight up in the air about 12-15 times before I start to wobble. Will that make a difference in time?"

Not much. That is more of a cardio / circuit workout.

To build muscle you should use as much weight as you can for 8 reps until you can do it to 12 reps. If you also hit failure (as much weight as you can only for 2-5 reps) you will gain strength which will let you lift bigger on your 8-12 rep muscle builders.

I like a pyramid or dropset and they both go to failure in one or more sets.
  • quellybelly
    Options
    RaeLB wrote: »
    After reading some responses... are you supposed to maintain the same weight for all 5 sets? I was taught to increase each set by 5lbs to reach my max on my 5th set.

For example if week 1 my squat max is 100lbs, I would do 1 set of 80lbs, 1 set of 85lbs, 1 set of 90lbs, 1 set of 95lbs, 1 set of 100lbs. Then if week 2 my max is 105lbs, I would do 1 set of 85lbs, 1 set of 90lbs, 1 set of 95lbs, 1 set of 100lbs, 1 set of 105lbs and so on.

After I posted my reply I read yours and got confused too lol! Since it's a beginner program though, I'm pretty sure Stronglifts has you maintain the same weight for all 5 sets. The Stronglifts app walks you through each of your workouts and will tell you to increase/decrease/maintain the weight for your NEXT workout, but seems to keep the same weight for the current workout.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Tried to download the StrongLifts app, but it wants to know my location. Why does it need to know my location? Grrrr! Sorry, just had to vent.

OP if you can, get a trainer, even if its just for one session to work on your form. You can watch a ton of videos on the internet, but nothing beats one on one training. I went gym shopping last summer and received a free training session as an incentive. Sometimes its the little tweaks that make a difference. BTW did not join the gym.
  • RaeLB
    Options
    RaeLB wrote: »

After I posted my reply I read yours and got confused too lol! Since it's a beginner program though, I'm pretty sure Stronglifts has you maintain the same weight for all 5 sets. The Stronglifts app walks you through each of your workouts and will tell you to increase/decrease/maintain the weight for your NEXT workout, but seems to keep the same weight for the current workout.

I read the website, you are correct! I edited my last post so I don't confuse the OP.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »
    For example, it says on Monday I should 5x5 squats, 5x5 benchpress and 5x5 barbell row. Lovely... what does that mean?! Do I do 5 squats then 5 benchpresses then 5 barbell rows and then start again with the squats until I've done 25 of each one in total, And then when do I rest? In between each set of 5 or after I've done all three different moves? Or do I do 25 squats, then 25 benchpresses then 25 barbell rows...? And if so, when do I rest then...?

See I said I was stupid, I just can't work it out, I'm sure it says somewhere and I'm just not seeing it or I'm sure it's obvious to everyone else, but it just isn't to me! :(

Standard is to do 5 squats, rest, another 5 squats, rest... until all five squats at your "working weight" are done (there are also warm-up squats that don't count towards the 5x5). Then move on to bench, do all those, then do all the rows (there are warm-up sets for both benches and rowss, also).

If you have enough weights or a really empty gym, you can "superset", and rotate (i.e., do the 5 squats, then 5 benches, then 5 rows, then back to squats). Since there's not a huge amount of overlap in the muscle groups, you save time by working other muscles during your "rest" time. I don't really recommend this approach starting out -- it's a lot more to keep track of, and, at least for the first couple of months, your "rest" periods will generally be pretty short (60-90 seconds), so there's not a lot of time savings. At a normal gym it will also tend to get you tarred and feathered since you're hogging multiple pieces of equipment.

BTW, squats are generally 1x5 at working weight, both because they're pretty intense and they overlap the squat muscle groups significantly.
  • SLLeask
    Options
    Thank you ALL for your replies, and kind words of encouragement (and not telling me to go away because I'm too old and stupid! :blush: )I think I get it now, hahaha! So, here's how I think I need to do it

25 squats but take a break after 5, then after 10, then after 15, then after 20 then after the last 5 then
    25 bench but take a break after 5, then after 10, then after 15, then after 20 then after the last 5 then
    25 barbell row but take a break after 5, then after 10, then after 15, then after 20 then after the last 5

(I actually understand about doing set A then set B and alternating days, yay for me!!)

As for gyms, I live on a tiny island. There are a couple of places that kind of call themselves gyms, such as at the school but no trainers to help or watch and they are only open at very odd times like around school pick up or late at night. Sigh. But no matter, I can now do it at home with your help! I start tomorrow because it's pancake time now... ;) Now you know why I need to start lifting, love those pancakes! :smiley:

Thanks so much again, you're all BRILLIANT!!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thank you ALL for your replies, and kind words of encouragement (and not telling me to go away because I'm too old and stupid! :blush: )I think I get it now, hahaha! So, here's how I think I need to do it

25 squats but take a break after 5, then after 10, then after 15, then after 20 then after the last 5 then
    25 bench but take a break after 5, then after 10, then after 15, then after 20 then after the last 5 then
    25 barbell row but take a break after 5, then after 10, then after 15, then after 20 then after the last 5

(I actually understand about doing set A then set B and alternating days, yay for me!!)

Yup, you got it.

Heh. If you're old, not sure what that makes me :-D
  • quellybelly
    Options

Thumbs up! Good luck :D
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Here's a (hopefully) easy to follow breakdown of the Stronglifts routine, as I understood it (and how I did it!)

Workout A:
    1. Squats 5 sets of 5 reps each (5x5)
    2. Bench press 5x5
    3. Barbell row 5x5

Workout B:
    1. Squats 5x5
    2. Overhead press 5x5
    3. Deadlift 1 set of 5 reps (1x5)

Do one exercise at a time. So all squat sets, then all bench sets, then all barbell row sets. Try to go in the order listed, but if you have to mix it up based on availability of equipment, it's not the end of the world! For all of these, try and complete all 5x5 (or 1x5 for deadlifts) using the SAME weight. So for example, squat 45 lbs for all 5x5 for Monday's workout. Rest for 30 seconds in between if you found them fairly easy to do. If they were a little tricky or you missed a rep, rest more 90 seconds or even up to 3 minutes if you need to. Try to hit all your reps and sets, but if you can't, IT'S OKAY :) when you miss a rep, it's best to rest a little longer.

Schedule: 3 times a week alternating between A and B. For example...
    Week 1: Monday workout A, Wednesday workout B, Friday workout A
    Week 2: Monday workout B, Wednesday workout A, Friday workout B
    and repeat...

Since these are full body workouts, try and have at least one rest day in between. Recommended not to do back to back days for something like stronglifts.

I personally started with an empty barbell (weighs 45 lbs) for all of them, except for overhead press (started with 35 lb bar). If you complete the 5x5 (or 1x5) successfully, then the next time you do that exercise, you add 5 lbs. Deadlifts is recommended 10 lbs add each time. If you "fail", i.e., miss a rep, then the next time you do that exercise, you try the same weight again. For example, if you bench press 45 lbs 5x5 successfully, next time you do bench press, you bench 50 lbs. If you miss a rep (and it's okay to!!), then you would try 45 lbs again next time you bench. If you download the stronglifts app, it is very helpful in letting you know how much weight to add on each time.

The most important thing I can stress is FORM! Make sure you are doing these lifts properly and safely! Check out videos on youtube or ask someone who is knowledgeable to check your form. Lifting is great and will do wonders for you, but it's also very easy to hurt yourself!

Hope this helps! Stronglifts was the first lifting program I did (had no prior lifting experience) and I really enjoyed it, as well as the results I got! Let me know if you have any other questions :) good luck and be safe!

(*) good post.