Made Serious Changes and Gaining Weight?

Options
So, since January I have made some serious changes in my lifestyle and I'm still gaining weight. Any suggestions on what might be going on? Here are the changes:

Cut out a lot of the carbs we were eating, now it's mostly lean protein and veggies and when we do eat carbs, it's very little and whole grain for the most part.

I am counting calories and try to stay under or at my 1200

I drink my 64 oz. of water and then some. I only have one Coke Zero a day vs. the 5-6 I used to have. I have also cut out my drinking alcohol during the week. I may have a few on the weekends, but not always.

I am working out 3-4 times a week at least. I'm doing 30-45 min of cardio and weight training as well.

I quit smoking January 1st too!!!

I feel like I'm retaining water all the time. My feet and hands are swollen every morning and I feel bloated. I thought I was supposed to feel better about myself and lose weight, not gain weight and feel miserable.

Any suggestions???

Replies

• kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Try diuretics to get rid of water retention. Leek tea is pretty good for that (boil leeks in water, drink the broth).

If you're stressed, that can mess with your weight as well. The no smoking could be a factor to that.

Hang in there! You'll see changes soon. Just focus on logging accurately, getting the most of your exercise, etc.
  • Lynette4321
    Lynette4321 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Look up the effects of giving up smoking. I'm certainly not saying you should go back to smoking, but I was surprised at all that can come from that and how long it lasts. Just a thought.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Wow, great job on trying to change all of those things! However, it could still be water weight. The new workouts will make you retain some water too. Watch salt, measure food, and make sure you're being honest.

I quit smoking a few years ago and thankfully I didn't need snacks to fill that void, but I was very conscientious. Have you snacked and not logged? The honesty of logging will tell you where you will be able to cut out some calories. 1200 is a low number so you shouldn't be gaining unless you ate that much salt that you are gaining that much water.

Try and look at your sodium numbers and see if this could be your issue. I know that smokers or ex-smokers turned to salt to make things flavorful (after losing some tastebuds). If it is the case, maybe switch to spicy seasonings, or garlic to flavor stuff instead of salt. Good luck! :D
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You're not logging in your diary, so it's hard to tell what's really going on. You say you're "trying" to stay at/under 1200 calories, but...

What's your actual average intake, by week?

How are you counting calories? Do you use a food scale, measuring cups/spoons, or eyeballing?

How much sodium are you taking in?

People are very, very, extremely bad at calorie counting. We all tend to underestimate our intake (in studies, by something ridiculous like 40-60%). If you are gaining weight, you're eating more than you think, especially given that you're not logging. The fact that you've changed your typical eating patterns doesn't matter if you don't know how much you're eating.

Just in case, though, if your feet and hands are actually swollen and you're retaining water, you should see a doctor. Water retention is normal if you're eating a lot of salt or if you just started a new exercise routine, but not to the point where you're observing changes in the size of your feet/hands.

• creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    You're not logging in your diary, so it's hard to tell what's really going on. You say you're "trying" to stay at/under 1200 calories, but...

How are you counting calories? Do you use a food scale, measuring cups/spoons, or eyeballing?

People are very, very, extremely bad at calorie counting. We all tend to underestimate our intake (in studies, by something ridiculous like 40-60%). If you are gaining weight, you're eating more than you think, especially given that you're not logging. The fact that you've changed your typical eating patterns doesn't matter if you don't know how much you're eating.

Just in case, though, if your feet and hands are actually swollen and you're retaining water, you should see a doctor. Water retention is normal if you're eating a lot of salt or if you just started a new exercise routine, but not to the point where you're observing changes in the size of your feet/hands.

I keep a manual tracking of everything and usually use it to input into MFP since I'm not always near a computer. About 90% of everything I eat is weighted or measured with a measuring cup. Everything else is eyeballed (if I'm not at home or work to measure it).

I very rarely ever go over 1200 calories and if I do, I'm using my workout calories.

I do realize I really need to log everything into MFP so that others can see it. I will make an effort to do that going forward. I also should probably download the mobile app so that I can use it on the go.

Thanks for the advice.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You should be weighing all solids and measuring liquids. Eyeballing is probably part of the culprit here.
    That being said, if you have started a new exercise regime, you will retain water. I quit smoking in July and retained for months. This added with the exercise, stress and the fact that, in my case, I only sleep 3-5 hours a night also adds to water retention.
    Definitely download the mobile app, its scanner is fantastic!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Another thing to consider is if you're eating prepackaged foods, if you are you could be loading your body with sodium. For me personally if I go crazy with marinades, soup, dressings I plump right up with fluid so I just keep away from them.
    Stress is another huge factor so perhaps using those old "smoke breaks" for a new purpose and stretch, just stand up and stretch do a few yoga moves if you can they just might help.

Congratulations on the big changes, the scale should follow suit soon.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

I keep a manual tracking of everything and usually use it to input into MFP since I'm not always near a computer. About 90% of everything I eat is weighted or measured with a measuring cup. Everything else is eyeballed (if I'm not at home or work to measure it).

I very rarely ever go over 1200 calories and if I do, I'm using my workout calories.

I do realize I really need to log everything into MFP so that others can see it. I will make an effort to do that going forward. I also should probably download the mobile app so that I can use it on the go.

Thanks for the advice.

There is the problem. Measuring cups and spoons are notoriously inaccurate.
  • creativefrugalmom
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

Thanks for the advice.

There is the problem. Measuring cups and spoons are notoriously inaccurate.

I meant to say weighed (on a scale - meats) or measured using a measuring cup.

What other methods are there to measure foods?

Thanks.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Use the scale for everything! I have a half-cup scoop in my oatmeal and ended up with 20% more by weight the other day. Not such a big deal--only 30 calories--but imagine that multiplied over every meal. And eggs are usually more than they should be, bread is usually heavier . . .
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

I meant to say weighed (on a scale - meats) or measured using a measuring cup.

What other methods are there to measure foods?

Thanks.
    ALL solids, should be weighed. Measuring cups are for liquids.
  • creativefrugalmom
    Options
    Use the scale for everything! I have a half-cup scoop in my oatmeal and ended up with 20% more by weight the other day. Not such a big deal--only 30 calories--but imagine that multiplied over every meal. And eggs are usually more than they should be, bread is usually heavier . . .

Wow! So instead of measuring a 1/4 cup you measure by ounces?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

Plus I have never had fruit that wasn't 20-40 calories more than in the data base. For instance, MFP has a medium banana at 105, where my average banana is 130.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

Yep. It's actually incredibly easier to weigh everything once you've adjusted. There's nothing extra to wash, no trying to scrape peanut butter or honey out of a measuring spoon, etc. Just put the plate/bowl on the scale and hit tare in between foods. Easy-peasy.

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    The key phrase here is that you quit smoking on January 1. When you quit smoking, no matter what, your metabolism goes out the window. I don't know anyone who quit smoking that didn't gain weight, including myself. When I quit smoking on May 6, 2004, I've been gaining ever since, even though I cut my calories in half. I have now gotten serious and am finally losing weight. People say when you quit smoking that you start eating more, and that's probably a bit of truth, but the real reason is that nicotine ruled your metabolism so you have to work harder than most people to get rid of it. I gave up many times, but I'm not giving up now. You'll be so much healthier doing the exercising and watching what you eat, and will feel SO MUCH BETTER than when you smoked!
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Absolutely - only use a measuring cup for liquids, and make sure that measuring cup is made for liquids. All other food gets weighed, preferably by grams - most food nutrition databases start a measurement by 100 grams so if you eat 60grams of something you add .60 to the database
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Coke zero and all other fake sugars seem to mess with the body's natural way of reacting to sugar. I know this is a weird concept, but if you can handle the swap to water you will see and feel changes almost immediately. I know that tons of people swear by their caffeine fix, but try tea instead. Once you make it past the first week you will feel great and the weight will come off. I think that the fake sugars just are not good for dieting. Also, try hard to make sure you get all 8 of the recommended servings of water. It makes a huge difference.
    I hope this helps.
  • awesomewastaken
    awesomewastaken Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about 7 years ago
    The key phrase here is that you quit smoking on January 1. When you quit smoking, no matter what, your metabolism goes out the window. I don't know anyone who quit smoking that didn't gain weight, including myself.
    I quit smoking about 7 years ago and I didn't gain anything. In fact, after quitting I began losing weight and ended up at my lowest ever number - although that was not caused by not smoking, rather due to increasing my exercise and eating differently. So I don't believe quitting per se is a cause of weight gain, but people switch their habit to snacking, which is the culprit.

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

It really can make a big difference over time. Little inaccuracies here and there can add up to the point where it can wipe out your calorie deficit, especially if you are measuring and eyeballing.

Also make sure that you are picking the correct entries. When you log your meats, make sure to choose the entry for how you weigh it (raw or cooked). It's best to weigh it raw, but if you weigh it cooked, make sure you use the cooking method in the search (baked, grilled, broiled, etc.).

This video does a good job of explaining why it's so important to weigh foods, especially when you start looking at the more calorie dense items.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • creativefrugalmom
    Options
    The key phrase here is that you quit smoking on January 1. When you quit smoking, no matter what, your metabolism goes out the window. I don't know anyone who quit smoking that didn't gain weight, including myself. When I quit smoking on May 6, 2004, I've been gaining ever since, even though I cut my calories in half. I have now gotten serious and am finally losing weight. People say when you quit smoking that you start eating more, and that's probably a bit of truth, but the real reason is that nicotine ruled your metabolism so you have to work harder than most people to get rid of it. I gave up many times, but I'm not giving up now. You'll be so much healthier doing the exercising and watching what you eat, and will feel SO MUCH BETTER than when you smoked!

Thanks for the support! I do not have any more of an appetite so the food hasn't been a factor. Instead of sitting around being bored and smoking, I have kept myself busy whether it be doing things around the house, crocheting or, now, working out. I haven't missed it at all. But, I never thought about how it would effect my metabolism though but it does make sense.