Options
2»

Replies

• KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Daily in the morning, after waking up and using the bathroom.

I like data. Data is good. Data plotted on a graph with a trendline to smooth out the fluctuations is even better.

I think if I waited to weigh in weekly or monthly, as some people do, I'd build up all kinds of anticipation about the number and be disappointed if the big drop I had in mind failed to materialize. With daily weigh-ins, I can put the ups and downs into perspective a lot better. Saturday I was down 0.8lbs, Sunday another 0.2lbs, this morning I was back up another 0.8lbs, etc. The overall trend is down. That's what matters.

I'm the same. The fluctuations don't bother me, as long as the trend is downward. I think weighing weekly would be more frustrating (for me), because what if the one day that I weighed that week was the one day that, for whatever reason, I jumped up 2 lbs, but the day after I was back down 2lbs and I'd miss seeing it.

Edited to add: I like all of the data points, because it helps me see what kind of fluctuations are normal for me, not just day to day, but throughout the month. That way, when they happen, I'm ok because I know they're normal for me.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week in the morning. On Sunday morning I wake up and use the bathroom. I take my dog outside so he can pee. (I'm still in my pjs.) I come back inside and get out the scale. I place it in the same location every week. I step on the scale 3 times to make sure the number is the same each time. I record the number on the kitchen calendar and MFP. I then get breakfast and a glass of water and don't think even think about weighing for a week.
    Once upon a time, I weighed every day. It became negative and obsessive for me. I understand that daily fluctuations are normal but once a week is enough information for me to be healthy physically and mentally. I also take a photo and measurements once a month.

So, whenever you choose to weigh just be consistant- same time, same scale, same conditions.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself every morning after the bathroom and before breakfast. i only log it once a week though.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I weigh after waking and emptying my bladder. I record the weight every Sunday.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I weigh several days a week (can't help myself) first first thing in the morning after using the bathroom. I wear only my undies . Same conditions every time. Sometimes I weigh at night just for curiosity knowing I'll weigh less (hopefully) lol in the morning.
  • cfischer81
    cfischer81 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week. Once in a while I do a second time if I just HAVE to know but, I actually don't even have a scale in my house. It broke a while ago and I was going to get a new one but, I know, I would weigh myself everyday and it's kind of freeing not to. So, I weigh myself at my 1st training appt. at the gym every week. For me, I feel like I already know, based on diet and exercise, whether I am having a good or bad week. The once a week is to make sure I'm going in the right direction! (DOWN!)
  • redwards555
    redwards555 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    (*) WOW!!! This is fantastic! Thanks to everyone who has shared their philosophies on the subject! I have lots to learn... (*)
  • inthslif
    inthslif Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Once a week. ....on hump day. .....today! !!! Down 3 more lbs!!!!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    inthslif wrote: »

Imagine how much less you would weigh on a day where you don't have a hump.
  • redwards555
    redwards555 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    inthslif wrote: »

Imagine how much less you would weigh on a day where you don't have a hump.

aha ha, thanks for lightening the mood-- ahhh, I needed that!