Eating Well at Conventions

Options
This is a question for anyone on here who's into the anime/sci-fi/comic convention scene...or who just spends many weekends in hotels.

How do you keep on track when these weekends are LOADED with bad food choices?

I went to Anime Milwaukee last weekend and fell way off the wagon. It was a weekend of binging on Doritos, pizza, and of course, alcohol. I'm mad at myself because I've not only gained back the 1 lb I lost, but I gained an ADDITIONAL pound.

Obviously the best solution to this problem is to pack healthy food for myself and invest in some low-calorie adult beverages. So for those of you who do a lot of weekend traveling, what healthy options do you pack to help keep you feeling full throughout the weekend without breaking your calorie limit? What foods do you look for when your only dining out option is pizza and hot dogs?

I've got a bigger convention to prepare for in May and don't want to make the same mistakes again!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Pack a bag/cooler with veggies/fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese, tuna packets, etc. I'm guessing that your hotel room will have a fridge. Are you staying in a hotel near or at the convention center? Even better since you could go back to your room for lunch.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Going to Comic-con last year was an experience. I basically tried to pack trail mix and energy bars with bottles of water to eat throughout the day. It was an extra like 20 lbs that I had to carry (most of it was bottles of water), but well worth it. Like you said, the food wasn't good and it was HORRIBLE for me not to mention overpriced. So I just snacked throughout the day on good stuff that I brought with me and saved all my calories and money for a great dinner outside of the convention.

All that walking with extra pounds in a backpack will help you get in your calorie burn for the day too! :D Good luck!
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Like you say, packing your own is probably the best option. Or leaving at lunch to find somewhere else to get food. When I go to cons I either eat whatever I want (I'm walking around all day anyway so know I'm burning a lot from that), or if my cosplay has a bare midriff I don't eat anything for the day until the con's over.

At the last convention I went to a couple of weeks ago I literally just ate chocolate and cake all day because the only other food seller was outside and had a giant queue, and I didn't want to freeze to death :P
  • emtomas
    emtomas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The best option for me has always been to pack food, but as you said, carrying it around is a pain in the butt. If your hotel room is close to the con, its easier to load it up with stuff for the whole weekend, and then go back or pack small bits for the day.

Sandwiches honestly make a really easy lunch to have on hand. Last year, my boyfriend brought his cooler lunch bag, and we packed it with our two sandwiches, and some carrots, fruit snacks and apples. We carried it around until lunch, and then when we had a break in the afternoon, dropped it back at his car.

With the prices of convention food, and the lines, you save so much time and money by bringing your own stuff. And if the weight is bad, just tell yourself you can't buy anything off the convention floor until after you eat it all - another way to help keep you from spending ridiculous amounts of money!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    2 lbs? I gain and lose that in the course of a day.

Seriously, perspective. It's mostly water weight.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I plan ahead and burn a bit more in the week leading up. I generally am trying to fit into something tight and superhero like (which means highly impractical oversexualized armor) so I have generally earned myself a few calories. That being said the PHX comicon is downtown with dozens of local restaurants and even the vendors in the conventions offer salads because its in May and 100 degrees so cool food is desirable.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Packing your own food is great, if you can. But if you're not able to pack food, try going for lighter options at meal times.

My boyfriend is my con-mom and has taken the responsibility of making sure I eat over convention weekends, and he usually picks the hotel restaurant or a restaurant nearby. I typically eat salads and have water with my meals instead of pop. Gotta save those calories for alcohol at the room parties! XD
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    When I went to wizard world, we packed things because we didn't want to use our money on restaurants when we could have been buying comics. Our hotel had a stove and microwave, so that was helpful. But the easiest thing, a comic convention is just for a few days. With all the walking around you're going to be doing, you can lose track of counting. It'll be like a regular cheat day.
  • holliesangel
    holliesangel Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Granted I usually only go one day due to work/money but I tend to just not eat. I'll eat breakfast before and then plan for dinner with my group after. Drink plenty of water and it's not so bad for one day. For a multiple day, I'd probably just go out for food or pack some stuff and leave it in my car (I hate carrying stuff around). Plus I have to wear my weeping angel wings so tight around my midsection that I really don't get hungry with them on.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I travel on business a lot, which is similar.

Packing food is a pain in the butt and often is just not practical. Just make better choices among what's available.

Doritos, pizza and alcohol aren't terrible once in a while. Just eat less of them. So your macros might be off for a few days, but you can still stay under your calorie limits just by practising portion control. And if you otherwise eat a fairly balanced diet, a few days of being off your macros won't kill you.

Life is meant to be enjoyed, not dreaded. Go have fun and consider it good practice for the sort of real-world situations that will come up for the rest of your life as you look to maintain your healthy weight.
  • NikkiTheRazor
    NikkiTheRazor Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the helpful responses! :D:D