Poutine

Options
clairebelle222
clairebelle222 Posts: 17 Member
Does anyone out there have a healthy recipe for poutine? For those that don't know it's gravy cheese curds and fries...Its a very much a Quebecois dish (I'm from Montreal). Please help me!!

Replies

• kennadieAndKJs_mom
    Options
    I wish! I love it and have tried a few different things but the sodium is too high for my liking EVERY time :( Hope you find something
  • kaylacarol1989
    kaylacarol1989 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    from montreal also, just the word made my mouth water because i havn't had one in god know how long....try swapping for sweet potatoes fries and grated mozarrella cheese instead of the curds as an alternative to portion control..... it def will not taste as good lol but im sure it will curve the craving!! try making your own gravy or buyign a low sodium one. And bake the fries of coursse!
  • clairebelle222
    Options
    Thank you, i'm making that for dinner tomorrow night
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Does anyone out there have a healthy recipe for poutine? For those that don't know it's gravy cheese curds and fries...Its a very much a Quebecois dish (I'm from Montreal). Please help me!!

healthy and poutine do not go together. It would be like asking for a carbon free coal...
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options

healthy and poutine do not go together. It would be like asking for a carbon free coal...

lol this
  • clairebelle222
    Options
    i wasn't asking for trolling advice, but thanks anyways
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I'd say just make it normal, but watch your portions. Nothing wrong with eating whatever you want in moderation.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Oh man. I love Poutine but I know it's so bad for you!

You could work a small portion into your diet. If that doesn't work, maybe try baked fingerling potatoes or bake sweet potato fies and top with a healthy and hearty mushroom gravy. As for the cheese? Maybe feta or a part-skim mozzarella cut into cubes? Not sure how all of this would go together though. Good luck!
  • pugified
    pugified Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What about baked fries, part skim shredded mozzarella cheese, and use packets from store to make gravy where all you need to add is water (they are low cal and low fat)? Top baked fries with 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup mozzarella, melt in micro and top with gravy.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    pugified wrote: »
    What about baked fries, part skim shredded mozzarella cheese, and use packets from store to make gravy where all you need to add is water (they are low cal and low fat)? Top baked fries with 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup mozzarella, melt in micro and top with gravy.

This is what I'm thinking. I'm a poutine-loving Texan. On my last visit to Canada, I brought back the packets of dry poutine gravy. We used them to make poutine with actual fries. I'm going to Montreal in April and will be bringing back more gravy packets to use with the recipe below, and probably mozzarella as other people have suggested.

Hey, it's not "real" poutine, but it'll be relatively guiltless.

http://natashaskitchen.com/2013/01/18/oven-baked-potato-wedges/
  • Annie81503
    Annie81503 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am so craving une maudite bonne poutine right now!
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Oh man... I love poutine! Sadly (or for my waistline... It is probably a good thing), we don't get real cheese curds in the UK. That sound you hear is my Canadian heart breaking...
  • MinnesotaNice507
    MinnesotaNice507 Posts: 60 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't know about the gravy but for the cheese curds, I wonder if you could use Panko bread crumbs and brush low fat cheese (string cheese maybe??) with light sour cream or egg, cover with Panko, and then give them a spray of cooking spray and bake them? Then do a baked French fry.
  • OrchidAhra
    Options
    My mother makes her own with oven broiled pommes frites and mushroom gravy. She does use regular fatty cheese, but i'm sure you could substitute something lower fat/cal.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    pugified wrote: »

I would totally try this and see if it satisfies, before caving into the real thing. C'est mieux que rien! Je suis à Québec.
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    There's a Jamaican place nearby that makes an amazing jerk chicken poutine... home version: baked fries instead of deep fried, some crockpot shredded jerk chicken with jerk tomato based sauce and some shredded mozzarella. Yum!
  • Saragirl2
    Saragirl2 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I think baking your own homemade potatoes cut into wedges or French frie style would cut down on cals. St. Hubert's makes a prepackaged dry poutine mix (or a canned low fat beef gravy). Grated skim mozzarella on top. Portion control? Nothing beats the real poutine with curds, at a chip stand in rural Quebec!
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Sure, you can make a "diet" lower calorie Poutine, but you probably wouldn't like it. It would be a waste of time and money. Just have the real thing once in awhile as a treat you savor.