Breakfast & Lunch vs. Dinner- Cals. Question

Options
Hello Fellow MFP's-

So I have a question... I tend to eat double my breakfast and lunch calories at dinner - is this going to hinder my weight loss???

For example-
Breakfast is generally: 135-195
Lunch is generally: 200-300
Dinner/Dessert/Beer- is usually the remainder of my 1200 cals (give or take)
Sometimes I eat snacks during the day and sometimes I don’t- depending on when I am hungry.

Thanks for the suggestions :)
~Michelle

Replies

• krystleRD
    krystleRD Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hello Fellow MFP's-

So I have a question... I tend to eat double my breakfast and lunch calories at dinner - is this going to hinder my weight loss???

For example-
    Breakfast is generally: 135-195
    Lunch is generally: 200-300
    Dinner/Dessert/Beer- is usually the remainder of my 1200 cals (give or take)
    Sometimes I eat snacks during the day and sometimes I don’t- depending on when I am hungry.

Thanks for the suggestions :)
    ~Michelle

I was told that your breakfast should be your largest meal, then your doing your snacking right stay between 200-300 then smaller lunch then you had for breakfast and then supper should be your smallest meal..

protein and carbs meals 1-5 and ur sixth one should be nuthing but protein
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone and you really have to figure out what works for you. For me, I find I have more energy and am less hungry and less prone to mindless eating during the day when I eat a solid breakfast (250-400 calories) that includes more protein and fat than carbs. I used to be a non-breakfast eater, but now I make myself have something, even if I have to throw together something really quickly.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

You're forgetting the fat. Healthy fats are critical for a well-balanced diet. Many people find they are the most satisfied when they have protein, fats and healthy carbs at every meal/snack.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Nope I don't believe it will have any impact on your weight loss. My biggest meal by far is dinner 500 - 600 cals.
  • gvsccr
    gvsccr Posts: 9
    Options
    it should not hinder your weight loss.
    i usually do the same thing and have not had a problem losing weight
  • krystleRD
    krystleRD Posts: 188 Member
    Options

You're forgetting the fat. Healthy fats are critical for a well-balanced diet. Many people find they are the most satisfied when they have protein, fats and healthy carbs at every meal/snack.

Like.. thanks
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    i would say not, my dinner always highest calories 4 the day, i think its more down to the type of food u r eating:smile:
  • snakegoddess_3
    Options
    I say as long as your within your calories it shouldn't matter. However if you could eat a bigger breakfast and a smaller dinner you can gaurentee that your not going right to sleep and your food is digested, which is why they say to have your big meal early. But it's whatever works for you. Beer is my downfall. I limit myself to only having it on my days off but I have fighting the balance of staying within my calories.
  • healthekate
    healthekate Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Dinner was my biggest meal when I started losing, so no, I don't think it will hinder your weight loss. Later, though, I read this quote: "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper." From there, I made the switch to eat more calories at breakfast than at lunch; more at lunch than at dinner. My snacks are usually 50-150 calories each. My calorie goal is 1200/day, and I can easily consume 500 or so of those calories during breakfast now.

The important thing is to find what works for you. :)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I now eat the majority of my calories during the afternoon between 1230-530 usually (only because I find that is when I am super hungry) and that is what works for me, but I used to "hoard" all my calories for night to be sure I didn't run out and I've lost weight both ways so I say do what you feel best doing.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Wow 1200 calories for dinner? It's my philosophy that you don't burn that off, you just sleep on it. Breakfast should be a bigger meal to keep you full, as well as lunch because the day is when you're doing all your calorie burning.
  • sara21
    sara21 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I hate breakfast. I have to force myself to eat a cheese stick or a yogurt in the morning. (80 cals). Lunch for me is about 300 cals. Then I eat the rest for dinner and dessert. I've lost 15 pounds in the past 2.5 months.
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Wow 1200 calories for dinner? It's my philosophy that you don't burn that off, you just sleep on it. Breakfast should be a bigger meal to keep you full, as well as lunch because the day is when you're doing all your calorie burning.

No- its the remainder of my 1200 cals- anywhere from 500-800 dinner usually :)
  • karamille
    karamille Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine is married to a personal trainer. He always says, "Eat like a king for breakfast, a prince for lunch, and a pauper for dinner" I am really not a breakfast morning, so I eat like a pauper for breakfast, a king for lunch, and a prince for dinner. And I will say, I don't drop weight well at all if all of my calories are late in the day, but everyone is different.
  • Calidaho
    Calidaho Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My Dietitian outlined the following 1400 calorie meal plan (I am tall so I get a bit more food than the small gals).

Breakfast: 100 cals (but I usually have 140 cals in a protein shake with frozen fruit)
    AM Snack: 100 cals (I usually have 60 cals of light string cheese)
    Lunch: 400 cals
    PM Snack: 200 cals
    Dinner: 500 cals
    Evening Snack: 100 cals

I tend to move 50 calories here and there depending on what I have planned to eat for the day. Protein with every meal and snack (evening snack tends to have less protein--sugar free pudding and whatnot). I have lost almost 40lbs in about 10 weeks and I usually don't feel like I am starving. Plus, I spend 55 minutes 4x a week on the elliptical with a 5K walk on the weekends.
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice- I will try and work on making my breakfasts bigger, my lunch's bigger, and my dinners smaller- I do tend to eat late as well.

You guys ROCK! <3
  • jkliles
    jkliles Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    hey! i heard that u are supposed to have the largest meal of the day during breakfast because it gives you energy and jump starts your metabolism. Not to mention if you have a bigger meal during the day when you are still active you are more than likely to burn more of the calories. I wouldn't have the calories per meal be too different because then your body might hold on to the extra fat that it got from your dinner meal because it feels deprived during the day. then again i am not a nutritionist. :happy: i guess if you are loosing weight the way you are doing it and as long as its healthy foods then i wouldn't worry too much about it :wink: