Muscle Milk as a meal replacement?

Options
I have been running in the morning and doing my t25 or weights in the evening, I have been doing Muscle Milk twice a day and then a healthy paleo meal in the evenings. How healthy is that in reality. I know they are good for recovery meals but will it help with weightloss??

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    protein shakes aren't designed to be meal replacements....they simply supplement protein intake. I would also suggest that if all you're doing is drinking a couple of protein shakes per day and having one real meal that you're probably not getting enough calories and most definitely not getting proper, balanced nutrition.

protein shakes are supplements, they do not have any magical properties.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    protein shakes aren't designed to be meal replacements....they simply supplement protein intake. I would also suggest that if all you're doing is drinking a couple of protein shakes per day and having one real meal that you're probably not getting enough calories and most definitely not getting proper, balanced nutrition.

what wolfman said...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

what wolfman said...

Yep
  • activgrl
    activgrl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other replies. Protein shakes are NOT a meal replacement, only a supplement. For balanced nutrition, you need to look at calories, carbs, fat, and protein and should be including all of them. Muscle milk should not be designed as a meal, only to help additional weight loss by upping protein.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    You can MAKE meal replacement shakes, but stuff like muscle milk aren't it.

If you want a solution like that, there's the Soylent DIY forums.

http://diy.soylent.me

Using the tools there I've created my own, and it's pretty decent. also ensures full RDA daily.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    muscle milk's formulation is very much like that of a "meal replacement" IMO as it is fats, carbs and protein (usually in close approximation to most people's macros while looking to lose weight as body fat).

I'm not saying it is the best, but if it's what you got, it should provide some protein and keep your macros floating along to get to the meals where you eat real food.
  • chris2720
    Options
    I understand your intent. Low calories plus exercise equals weight loss.

Muscle Milk is great because it isn't just protein but has healthy fats in it and some vitamins/minerals. If you are taking the shakes already made for you in the bottle then I will tell you for sure it's not healthy to continual take. A lot of chemicals are in Muscle Milk that has been pre-made.

If you have the powder form and mix it yourself it is healthier. The quality of the protein in either form is better then average.

What Wolfman said is most definitely correct. An important decision to make is if you want a meal replacement or protein supplement. (Caloric goals)

It's a safe assumption that two shakes and a paleo meal will leave you lacking in key important nutrition. (even for weight loss)

I would encourage you to only take one shake a day (after weight training) or start adding some healthy food/snacks to go with two shakes.

Between you exercise routine and nutrition you described it won't matter if Muscle Milk is good for weight loss or not. You are most definitely in caloric deficit so you should lose weight regardless.