Sodium friendly seasonings

Options
Need help with identifying some sodium friendly seasonings for veggies fish and chicken. I have been using McCormick garlic salt mostly and its clearly the cause of my bloating, need something new...

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    herbs and spices. I like different flavored vinegars on a lot of my veggies, but that's not exactly sodium free. You could get actual garlic or minced garlic and sautee them with that.
  • bonniedalberg
    Options
    Mrs. Dash has salt free seasonings and marinades. Plus, it's available in most grocery stores.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash has salt free seasonings and marinades. Plus, it's available in most grocery stores.

This and lemon. Mint is great on some veggies.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash! There's many different varieties of it, too. Oh, and plain garlic powder or minced garlic (instead of garlic salt) is sodium free.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Red pepper! :D I guess that is only good if you like spicy foods though. The side benefit if you like spicy is that it will kick up your metabolism if you eat enough of it! On the flip side though, garlic, onions, and shallots (some cross between) really do make things taste better. You need a little bit of salt, but not much.

When I make red spaghetti sauce, I just chop fresh tomatoes, use onion, garlic, mushrooms, and voila, I've got some great fresh marinara. I barely use any salt in it, and it still tastes great.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I make my own roasted vegetable seasoning (without the salt) and I love Mrs Dash Chipotle seasoning. I rarely salt anything (it flares my GERD) but I use a lot of standard herbs depending on what I'm making. I would recommend googling homemade spices mixes and see what you can find to create your own.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Chop up some fresh basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, mint, etc. You can grow them year-round even in cold climates by getting a windowsill box.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'll second lemon juice and have to add a recommendation, if you have a Trader Joe's nearby, for their 21 Seasoning Salute. It's delicious. I'm also a big fan of smoked paprika, fresh parsley, basil, and thyme.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    mrs_dash.jpg
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the garlic salt and buy minced garlic. You can get it dried or moist. Moist is more flavorful, but you have to keep it in the refrigerator after you open it. Other spices: celery seeds (one of my favorites), oregano, dried parsley leaves, thyme, rosemary, sage, basil, cloves, cinnamon, cumin, black pepper, red pepper, ginger, turmeric. I think that is most of what I use in the way of dried spices. I live outside a town of less than 2,000 and in a county of 25,000 and I can find relatively "fresh" spices in bags in the veggie aisle at the store. So I suspect you can too.
  • skydivernick
    skydivernick Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Flavor God!