in need of positivity and advice...no negative Nancy's please.

Options
I'm looking it improve my health and lose about 60lbs. It's a little overwhelming so any advice you can offer on staying focused and motivated would be appreciated.

Replies

• karen0175
    Options
    Just wanted to say hi and good luck
  • karen0175
    karen0175 Posts: 22
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • karen0175
    karen0175 Posts: 22
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • Mjones23456
    Mjones23456 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just get a good plan and lots of support buddies. It really is a journey. You can chose to enjoy it or make it really difficult. Don't set you milestones too high. Small steps will make it easier.
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It is overwhelming but the trick is to take it one step at a time. You made the decision to start which is wonderful. Remember that you don't have to change your entire lifestyle overnight. You can start with small modifications and work your way up. Hope that helps!
  • karen0175
    Options
    Stick a photo of yourself you don't like on the fridge, that helps me!
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. Make small goals and accomplish those. Sometimes the "big" picture is overwhelming but when you set smaller goals and accomplish them, you feel as if you're making progress. Make each day count... You can't change the past. The future is the future but you can do your best in the present. And most of all, know that you CAN do this. Attitude is EVERYTHING!
  • MindiMe
    MindiMe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there! 60 lbs does seem a bit overwhelming, but the worst thing you can do is lose too much too fast. I am studying nutrition sciences in school, and what is recommended is to lose no more than 1 or 2 lbs per week. You want to give your body time to adjust to its new weight. That makes the new weight a "permanent" weight rather than a "diet" weight.

Also, drink lots of water! Two glasses before a meal and another glass after is one of my tricks. Water is the most important nutrient. Every cell in your body needs it- a lot of it! It also has the effect of "filling" you without calories, so this trick can keep you from overeating as well.

My favorite thing about MyFitnessPal is that I can keep track of my nutrient intake, which is way more valuable than taking calories. Eating nutrient-dense foods fills me up before I ever reach my calorie limit!

Good luck!

Mindi (mindime)
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    One of the things Ive done that I really thinked worked for me and I'll probably always do this. I eat with very small forks, spoons and dishes. Just makes everything seem bigger. You can get some pretty cool ones at pottery barn
  • kelseyjayep
    kelseyjayep Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Get yourself some MyFitnessPal buddies! I tried MFP once and didn't have any motivational friends and just didn't get into it. This time around I went on the boards and asked for some accountability friends and it makes it so much easier to lose (I've lost 18lbs so far this time!) when you have people "liking" your accomplishments, sending encouraging notes, etc.

Add me if you want :)
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I just started on January 19 trying to lose 98 pounds. I have lost nineteen pounds as of this morning. Try to work in exercise even if you walk each day for thirty minutes until you can build up more time. I load all food items into Myfitnesspal even gum. Good luck on your journey.
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Set yourself specific defined goals with a timeline. I like to set an overall goal, and then quarterly, monthly, weekly and daily goals. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like some additional support.
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Definitely stick to MFP. It's SO helpful. Even on the days I go over my calorie limit, it helps me to look and see where/why and helps get me back on track!
  • kismea
    kismea Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    1. Make a goal sheet - say 10 or however many reasons you want to lose weight. Hang it somewhere you will see it every day!
    2. Friends, let them know your goals and they will support you!
    3. I am a huge fan of data - if you are too get a fitbit, it will inspire you to move more.
    4. fitness pals to help drag you to the gym on the days you want to sit on your bonbon and eat bonbons ;)
    5. try not to make excuses - if you eat 3 xl pizzas, own up to it. you did it because you wanted to. THEN? get back on track ;)
    6. try not to make excuses - ill go to the gym tomorrow my left earlobe feels a bit sore.
    7. log your foods, all of them! by weight.

good luck! :D Move your body, cut your intake and you have this!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    If you fall off the horse get right back up on it. Many people quit if they have one bad day. The key is to keep going. One bad day isn't going to ruin many good days as long as the good outweighs the bad.
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Crazy4cat- I totally hear you on the overwhelming bit. I want to lose 25 pounds and to me that seems overwhelming! I'm taking "baby steps" with my weight loss goals and taking it 5 pounds at a time. I started clean eating a month or so ago and still have backslides more than I care to admit. :)
    Next step, hitting the treadmill during these dreadfully cold days in Vermont to get my running back in gear. My first 5K of the year is next month and I'm nowhere near ready. LOL
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you want! Good luck! :)
  • Shellys_Start
    Shellys_Start Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Having people to motivate you, tracking everything you eat, drink tons of water and DON'T QUIT!!!! I had a gain this week of 2 pounds and it's hard and it's frustrating. But I know areas where I could have done better and today was a new day. If I give up the weight will kill me.
  • Annette1270
    Annette1270 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! You will get there. Just do baby steps.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • TakingSteps1234
    TakingSteps1234 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just stopping by to wish you luck! (My first day here. Love that everyone has positive words of wisdom. Inspiring. :))