NSV - Even my gym wants me to give up!

Options
Korpikaazi
Korpikaazi Posts: 1 Member
edited February 2015 in Success Stories
As a teacher, half term is definitely the worst time for my eating habits. During the term I'm so busy teaching and planning there's no time for snacking and going out to eat, and having the gym on site at the school means I can't really not go! So this week has been off to a bad start - naughty dinner on Valentine's, then the leftovers on Sunday, then bad food and cocktails at Sticky Fingers yesterday... I figured I really ought to drag myself to the gym today to at least work off some of the calories I'm bound to consume in pancakes tonight!
Firstly I had to face my social anxiety and interact with the receptionist - something I'd normally leave to my gym buddies. Then I had to face the embarassment that the gym doesn't even open until 4.
I then had to face the shop on the way home, knowing that we needed milk. Normally, I'd treat myself to a sandwich meal deal and probably also a pork pie to congratulate myself for at least talking to the receptionist. Instead, I bought some salad and fruit to go with the pancakes and then seeing as the sun was out, I walked back. Wasn't even tempted to take the bus!

It might not seem like much I guess but the fact that two months ago (not to mention the fact that I wouldn't have even been going to the gym in the first place!!) I would have figured that the week was a loss anyway, given in to food temptation, and then felt sorry for myself carrying the shopping and gotten the bus back, I'm quite proud of myself!

(And talking to the receptionist wasn't as scary as I had convinced myself it would be!! Woooo!)

Replies

• Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    and you should be proud of yourself. Every victory is a victory no matter how small it may seem :) Keep it up.
  • deoliveiraf
    deoliveiraf Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Baby steps in the right direction. Then those baby steps will grow into a full stride. Before you know it, it will part of your lifestyle. Good Job!!!
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Baby steps in the right direction. Then those baby steps will grow into a full stride. Before you know it, it will part of your lifestyle. Good Job!!!

^that!
  • dimeda78
    dimeda78 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am a foodie. I really, really like food. I just had to learn that I don't have to eat it all at once. No, I wasn't a glutton but I have to say, my portions were more than a serving size and I had to have sweets everyday. When I decided to make a definite change at the beginning of the year, I decided to cut out sweets until I felt I could have more control with them. Now, I can have them but, just a little. My favorite treat is a cup of chai tea with either 4 Biscoff cookies or 6 of the Annie's Ginger Crisps. Those are serving sizes and ooh so satisfying. If you are determined to get on track with this fitness thing, you will find your niche and do what works for you. I wish you the absolute best in this journey. Know that you are not alone. :)
  • natshaw19
    natshaw19 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Well done that is a great achievement. As everyone says baby steps and they will soon pay off to big giant leaps. Well done and enjoy your half term.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Make this a new lifestyle!

Most people are just as shy as you are. Once you understand that, you realize that you taking the first step is probably a huge relief for them!!
  • determined24girl
    determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Good job! Keep it up!
  • Tljordan40
    Tljordan40 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    VICTORY!!!!!!
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    /highfive!
  • pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I can really identify with the social anxiety, especially at the gym. My biggest fear is running into one of my students, or any of the students from my school at the local gym, but fortunately I live far enough away from my school that those students don't come to this community center.
  • MargueriteMuguet
    MargueriteMuguet Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Oh I hear you loud and clear! Mega congratulations to you and to the progress that lies ahead! You are doing great!!!
  • chrissimj97
    chrissimj97 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I can relate to social anxiety; still a work in progress. I am slowly working towards the courage to join a gym in the area I have just recently moved to. Kudos to you for facing your fears! Keep it up! B)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!