Can I please eat these m&m's

Options
They are 220 calories for 1/4 cup. They are peanut, but to be fair if I change my mind I still can switch to regular or peanut butter.
Guys, why are these so many calories.
I only get 1200 calories a day. I do cheat days. Today is not a cheat day. But they can't be all that bad. Right?
Right?
Bueller?

Replies

• ravenzwart
    ravenzwart Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    well you can always have them, just plan around them. But thats probably not what you want to hear.
    I must admit i dont take any because if i take one then a whole lot follow...and my boyfriend always buys the kilo bag....
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Figure out how to pair other foods with them so you can eat them AND still be within your calorie goal for the day. That's the best lesson you'll ever learn.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker, you only have 15lbs to lose.
    1200 calories may be too aggressive for you depending on your height and activity level.
    You may be able to lose weight at a higher calorie goal.
    And then you won't have to ask the forum if you can eat the M&Ms...

I say no to the M&Ms solely because I don't like peanut M&Ms and prefer regular lol
  • ahawkx
    ahawkx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    IIFYM :)
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Lower your calorie deficit to 0.5 lbs/wk. Whatever you have as your goal now is too aggressive for the last 13 lbs you need to lose. Eat the m&m's, and you choose what you like. Work them into your daily calories. No need to ask us for permission to eat.
  • Try popcorn with them will taste like gourmet
  • Golferdrone
    Golferdrone Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Put them down. The scale will remember them, your taste buds won't.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    short answer- eat the m and m's

longer answer
    But they can't be all that bad. Right?
    no- of course they aren't that bad. Because they aren't bad at all- outside of an allergy you might have for peanuts- or milk or chocolate.

Why M and M's are so fricking high I have no idea- I've leaned more toward the Dove Chocolates for a quick fix- I feel a little more satisfied consuming them- but yes- they are fine in moderation.

just eat them. Log it and move on. I typically have 1-2 chocolatey type snacks a day. no muss- no fuss- just have to stay in calories for the day. if I feel like I'm making poor decisions with my food- it's typically because my macro balance has been swung and my pie chart is uneven.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Put them down. The scale will remember them, your taste buds won't.

Strong first post, Golferdrone.

IMO, having the (quoted) mindset that you can't afford a treat will only cause you to binge and revert back to former bad-habits later. It's all about a sustainable, long-term lifestyle.

Eat the M&Ms if you'd like them. Work it into your diet, enjoy the hell out of them, and move on.
  • agratzy
    agratzy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome. The advice on lowering the "aggrssive" attitude towards dieting-- even when I lower it to .5 pounds, I still only get 1200 calories :( I'm 5-3, and a receptionist, so I don't use that many calories to begin with.
    I am going to eat SOME of the m&m's. Because 1/4 a cup is actually more than I thought.
    Stay fresh fellas.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I had a handful last night, so I say yes, eat them, in moderation. And it sounds like that's what you are going to do. My calorie goal is also 1200, even at 0.5 lb/week goal. Maintenance for me is 1440 calories. Gotta love being short. :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I had a handful last night, so I say yes, eat them, in moderation. And it sounds like that's what you are going to do. My calorie goal is also 1200, even at 0.5 lb/week goal. Maintenance for me is 1440 calories. Gotta love being short. :)

FWIW, height has virtually nothing to do with maintenance cals.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    agratzy wrote: »
    You guys are awesome. The advice on lowering the "aggrssive" attitude towards dieting-- even when I lower it to .5 pounds, I still only get 1200 calories :( I'm 5-3, and a receptionist, so I don't use that many calories to begin with.
    I am going to eat SOME of the m&m's. Because 1/4 a cup is actually more than I thought.
    Stay fresh fellas.

Then it has to be some kind of glitch... I have mine as sedentary, I'm also 5'3", and MFP has me at 1490 calories with .5lb/wk.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    Stay fresh fellas.

Then it has to be some kind of glitch... I have mine as sedentary, I'm also 5'3", and MFP has me at 1490 calories with .5lb/wk.
    If she's signed up recently, it's possible.
    A 5'7" female who is around 200# was posting yesterday that MFP glitched and her goal was set below 1200. And she couldn't fix it.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MFP's goal settings have been pretty messed up on the phone app. It was giving me 1200 cal/day to lose .5 lbs/wk with being lightly active, and 1600 cal/day to lose 1.5 lbs/wk sedentary. Haven't checked recently if it's still doing it though.

*edit* Yep -- still seems to be giving crazy numbers!
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Don't eat them! Send them to me... for science and stuff ;)
  • agratzy
    Options
    I would be open to eating more than 1200 a day. I find it impossibly difficult to stay under. I am also new so a glitch is possible.
    Is 1200 actually a crazy number??
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    I would be open to eating more than 1200 a day. I find it impossibly difficult to stay under. I am also new so a glitch is possible.
    Is 1200 actually a crazy number??
    It could be.
    Can you provide the data you entered into MFP?
    height, weight, goal weight, activity, rate of loss
  • agratzy
    Options
    OW: 140
    CW:133
    GW: 125

Height, 5-3. Sendtary (little to no movement throughout the day). I exercise but I eat back those calories and then some most of the time and log it as it happens. Rate of loss, I think I have 1 lb/ a week. I will change it to .5 now.
  • agratzy
    Options
    Ahh! I changed it to .5 lb/ a week and it bumped me up to 1420 calories/ day. I must have had it set too aggressivley as was suggested. Thanks for the advice everyone!