Finally taking the first step, but what next?

Options
My name is Stephanie and I am married with four kids. In the past few years I have noticed my weight slowing creeping up but just always thought it'll never be a problem. I was always thin and never needed to worry about what I ate or how much exercise I was doing. But now at the age of 37, I've been struggling to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Looking for some guidance on how to begin a cleaner life.

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    It's tough to help you lead a "cleaner life" without more details. But in general terms:

Identify things about your current lifestyle that you don't like, and then come up with plans to modify those things.

Identify things that you'd like to work towards. Make it more variable than just weight/size. Make it fun. Make a plan to get there.

Know your reasons well. Maybe you want to protect your heart or have more energy or whatever. Find what you value and what is meaningful for you. Those things keep you going even on bad days.

Learn as you go. Keep an eye out for obstacles. Pause, and figure out how you can remove them. Do you need easier recipes? Would a meal plan & weekend food prep make things easier? Do you need to ask for more support from others? Do you have feelings & thoughts that are in your way that you would benefit from working on? Are certain meals just not right for your body? Etc. Everything will be unique for you, not exactly as written in a plan or done by someone else, so you have to be mindful and flexible and adjust as you go. And not to be afraid of prioritizing these things, even if it means saying no, delaying chores, asking something of others, etc.

Aim for awesome. It's a process, so you will have hangry days and frustration and whatnot along the way. It'll take a lot of work and focus at first. But step back, evaluate, tweak, move forward. Eventually, you want meals you look forward to for which the prep is not draining, lots of energy, to be sleeping well, to be fit (however you define that) and looking forward to the activities you do, etc. It should all fit and work for you and be positive. Don't try to sustain things that don't *really* work for you indefinitely. There are other approaches, other paths, other tools. Be patient and persistent and open to new things or to altering things to find your way.
  • Sarahe5682
    Sarahe5682 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Eating clean means eating food in its most natural state and is the healthiest I have found. Weight train and add some cardio too. When you plateau, change things up.