Fatloss macro's

Options
Hi everyone, im a noob looking for some advice regarding macro's.
I have worked out the macro's i want to use and entered them
Into MFP which works out at a target of 1500kcals.
However, when i input my calories burned through exercise, it adjusts and increases my overall cal requirement.
My question is should i be calculating my food intake on my 1500kcal target or the adjusted figure?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    calories are king for weight loss. that said to ensure a larger % of your weight loss comes from fat you will need adequate protein intake and take part in a progressive strength training program.
    So for protein a good rule of thumb is 1 gram per lb of lean body mass. If you are unsure of your body fat %, another option would be to choose 0.8 grams/lb of goal weight. Fat is important too, but not for fat loss, but you should still aim for a minimum of 0.35grams/lb of total body weight. Fill the rest in with carbs, and use your fat and protein goals as minimums and carbs as a max.

So now the question is how much do you weigh, what is your goal weight or bf% then figure out %s. remember 1 gram of protein = 4 cals, 1 gram of carbs = 4 cals, and 1 gram of fat = 9 cals.

I would also add that if your goal is 1500 cals you should be eating 1500 + eat back what you burn from exercise, that said exercise cals are typically overstated so I would suggest eating 50-75% f them only.
  • TriedEverything
    TriedEverything Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    This question always seems to be up for debate! But I think for more efficient weight loss, it is certainly better not to eat all the extra "exercise" calories. However, it's a case of "do as I say and not as I do", because I am tending to eat most of mine at the moment! (I keep meaning not to!). :p

But if you eat everything you're allowed (including your calories from exercise) you should actually still lose weight - but it might be quite slow (as mine is!!)

Opinions do seem to differ a lot on this though! If you are burning a lot of calories through exercise, I would say you should still eat some of them. But if your calorie burn is not that big, then probably best not to (or at least not all of them).

Just my thoughts! Hopefully others will share their ideas.

Good luck anyway! :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    is 1500 your TDEE? I assume that you are not doing MFP method if you inputting your own macros..??
  • erickirb
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    is 1500 your TDEE? I assume that you are not doing MFP method if you inputting your own macros..??

Even if you follow MFP caloric intake you can change your macros. I would advise that one do just that due to the low protein target that MFP defaults to.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So you know what you want for macros, which puts you at 1500 cals, is that right? Then when you log exercise, MFP reclaculates things, and you're wondering if you should go by your original numbers, or MFPs adjusted numbers... is that right?

Where did you numbers come from? How did you come up with your macros and the resulting 1500 cals per day?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Even if you follow MFP caloric intake you can change your macros. I would advise that one do just that due to the low protein target that MFP defaults to.

maybe I misunderstood his question ..but I believe he is asking if he should eat back exercise calories because when he enters them it throws off his numbers..

if 1500 is a 500 calorie deficit from maintenance then he should not eat them back....
  • turkeytrotter
    turkeytrotter Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    A deficit of 3500 over time should give you a 1 pound loss. So, depending on how fast you want to loose the weight, you can decide when eat those calories or not. Eric makes an excellent point about the making sure you eat enough. So, if you exercise a lot just don't go higher than a 250-500 calorie difference from what was added to your calories for the day.

I have found that weight comes off quicker on the days that I drink water. I never get up to the full 8 cups, but try to get there.

Good luck with your weight loss!
  • erickirb
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    So you know what you want for macros, which puts you at 1500 cals, is that right? Then when you log exercise, MFP reclaculates things, and you're wondering if you should go by your original numbers, or MFPs adjusted numbers... is that right?

Where did you numbers come from? How did you come up with your macros and the resulting 1500 cals per day?

I think you have it right, I missed what the OP was really asking. I was going by the thread title, which is a little different then what it appears they are asking
  • erickirb
    Options

maybe I misunderstood his question ..but I believe he is asking if he should eat back exercise calories because when he enters them it throws off his numbers..

if 1500 is a 500 calorie deficit from maintenance then he should not eat them back....

If 1500 is a 500 deficit, then the OP should eat them back or the deficit would be larger than 500
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a really good article I read about this recently.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macro-math-3-keys-to-dialing-in-your-macro-ratios.html

I'm already very fit and active, so it's hard to make progress. About 2 months ago I started following the guidance in this article for my body type (mesomorph) and have definitely started seeing the changes I was looking for.
  • rosswoodruff
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for all of your replies.
    My macros are worked out for a keto diet.
    The question was based around should i eat back the exercise cals?
    I will monitor progress for a month then alter accordingly, but feedback on anyones experience may save me a bit of time and would be greatly appreciated.
  • ndj1979
    Options

If 1500 is a 500 deficit, then the OP should eat them back or the deficit would be larger than 500

sigh...if he calculated that his TDEE is 2000 deducted 500 from that to get 1500 then he would not eat exercise calories back because he is doing TDEE method. If he is doing MFP method then he should eat them back so that he nets 1500.

that is why I asked if he got 1500 from doing TDEE method...

• ndj1979
    Options
    Hi,
    I will monitor progress for a month then alter accordingly, but feedback on anyones experience may save me a bit of time and would be greatly appreciated.

I have zero experience with keto..

did you get 1500 from entering your stats into MFP and it giving you a number and then you figured out your macros?

OR

did you figure out that your maintenance is 2000 calories a day and in order to lose a pound per week you need to eat 1500 calories a day and that is how you figured out your macros...?

if the former, then yes eat back exercise calories; if the later, then no, you do not..
  • rosswoodruff
    Options
    Macros were calculated using a keto calculator
    Keto-calculator.ankerl.com then manual input into MFP
  • jacksonpt
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi,

Good idea.

When you used that calculator and chose your energy expenditure level (sedentary, active, etc) - did you include your exercise in that, or only your general lifestyle? If you included exercise, then don't eat back MFPs exercise cals... i.e. go by your original numbers. If you didn't include exercise in that, then yes, eat them back.

This is all taking things at VERY face value... so your idea to monitor and tweak is still very appropriate.
  • rosswoodruff
    Options
    Hi, maintenance intake is estimated at 2765 kcal
  • jacksonpt
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Wow... a deficit of 1200 cals per day? That's a lot. A way lot. In that case, I'd definitely eat them back, for sustainability if no other reason. Even if that has you eating back 800 cals, which is a lot for a workout, you'll still have a good deficit for fat loss.
  • rosswoodruff
    Options
    Exercise output in the calculation was based on general lifestyle
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Hi, maintenance intake is estimated at 2765 kcal

is there a reason you are only eating to 1500 then? Most recommend a 500 per day deficit, which in your case would be 2265....

but yes, eat back exercise calories...
  • rosswoodruff
    Options
    I dont seem notice the size of the calorie deficit because of the nature of the keto. It would be different if it was a straight calorie controlled approach