Squats and weights while trying to lose fat?

Options
Yes, cardio might burn fat but it also burns muscle too. Weights are good for everyone because they burn fat fast and you gain muscle. Everyone says don't do squats If you wanna lose thigh fat. Thats a myth. You lose fat and gain muscle like weights. Plus they make your legs hot ;)

Replies

• Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I did squats via the SL 5X5 program and loved them because it's a killer workout. Only thing is I was increasing the weight too fast and when the weight got really heavy I was cheating and not going low enough. I used too much of my front leg muscle which led to muscle and knee pain.
  • Reefboy1980
    Reefboy1980 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The health & fitness industry has a lot to answer for, for so long women have been scared into not doing the compounds because of the fear of getting big & bulky. I think that's now changing I'm seeing so many women lifting good weights & imo there's nothing sexier than seeing a women squatting or deadlifting heavy *kitten* weight. Weights over cardio any day for anybody
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    You don't generally lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. You will however be better at using what muscle you have, preserve said muscle, and increase strength.

That's all a win.
    Squat, deadlift, row, press.

Those are all good and foundational.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Either way, do squats and other compound movements. They are fun, they work your whole body and they get results.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    norastyl wrote: »
    Yes, cardio might burn fat but it also burns muscle too. Weights are good for everyone because they burn fat fast and you gain muscle. Everyone says don't do squats If you wanna lose thigh fat. Thats a myth. You lose fat and gain muscle like weights. Plus they make your legs hot ;)

Spot on post and pretty common sense around here except for the "lose fat and gain muscle" comment. That doesn't generally happen at the same time.
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I agree squats, lunges, and mountain climbers are all great for the legs and butt area. If you simply shrink without maintaining muscle the flabby skin just kind of hangs there and is unattractive. If you want to look good in clothes this is an option, but personally I want to look good naked. Muscle helps to add shape to give nice curves. Also, this is about diet too. If you consume too little protein your body cannibalizes your muscle to make up the difference. In extreme cases, ie anorexia, the body will even attack the heart and cause permanent damage even possibly death.
    I hope this helps to convince all those girls who think muscle will make them look fat!
  • BULLET9992
    BULLET9992 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight & making strength gains for some time now. I would never lose weight without strength training, it almost seems counter productive to only do cardio.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I like. *thumbs up*