I'm going gluten free

Options
Just this past week the doctors found that I have the gene mutation for gluten intolerance. I have no idea what this means, but I do know it's going to be a huge change and make me feel so much better. I am 32 years old and have been sick most of my life. I cannot remember a time when I wasn't. They've tested me 4 times before for Celiac Disease, but this time tested me differently. Now...I know. It's exciting to know I'm going to feel better, but very scary thinking about how much my life will change. I had a good friend suggest this app, now here I am. I could use all the support and advice I can get. I see a dietitian this week and Friday is the day to ditch everything from my kitchen. I'm eating everything I can now so I thought I'd show you the change. Thank you for all the support! Lots of love!!!

Replies

• cpp_happy
    cpp_happy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease.
    I went GF 6 years ago when I was diagnosed.
    I gained weight when I went GF (but have always been in the healthy range just the upper range). But the weight gain was good because I felt stronger and had more energy. Took me about a year and a half to feel really good... But ongoing improvements till then and still!!!
    I eat a lot of real food... Rarely processed! Lots of fruits, veggies, organic meats. I don't use mixes. I use cornstarch to thicken food such as gravy. Use tones of spices and herbs on their unprocessed form.
    Celiac.com was my best friend when I started.
    Now I prefer good cookbooks such as "oh she glows".
    "Cup for cup" flour from Williams Sonoma in the us (and a local grocery store here in Canada)... Is my absolute favorite for baking!!!
    Bread will always taste bad unless just from the oven, but baking is good with cup for cup.
    Ok, I'll stop now :smile:
    If I can help you, answer questions, etc, I'd be happy to!!
  • bigsense2004
    Options
    Lost 105lb going GF, I don't have an intolerance just decided to cut it out. The Warrior diet and GF = Fit, trim and healthier than I've ever been. Still got 25lb left. You'll feel better, should lose weight
  • royston_ashby
    royston_ashby Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    There's no health benefit to going gluten free until you have celiac disease. Research shows its higher in sugars, salts and calories.
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    There's no health benefit to going gluten free until you have celiac disease. Research shows its higher in sugars, salts and calories.

If you had bothered to read OP whole story she said She's medical diagnosed gluten intolerant. So it's NOT a fad diet!

the doctors found that I have the gene mutation for gluten intolerance

• LadyElsena
    LadyElsena Posts: 17 Member
    Options

If you had bothered to read OP whole story she said She's medical diagnosed gluten intolerant. So it's NOT a fad diet!

the doctors found that I have the gene mutation for gluten intolerance

Pretty sure royston's comment was a response to bigsence who is gluten free but has no sensitivity.

Btw glad it helped you to go gluten free bigsence, as someone who has just been diagnosed with cd I am hating having to switch over but maybe it will help me with my weight issues as well as the other problems I have had as long as I can remember :)