help! I eat in the middle of the night!

I eat great during the day! I am on a 1200 cal intake. Although when night time comes, I get hungry and cant stop eating. I wake up randomly throughout the night And unconsciously eat! Help!

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    First, why are you only on 1200 calories?

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    If you have a sleep-eating disorder, no one can help you here, you'll have to talk to a doctor. But it is probably due to you being extremely hungry from not eating enough during the day.
  • First, why are you only on 1200 calories?

Bc I want to lose weight. Im not heavy, but I want to lose about 12 lbs
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Handcuffs. :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    you should stop eating in the middle of the night.
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Pre-plan your day, and make room for snacks.

Also, own up to your cheating - "unconsciously eating" is an excuse. It's ok to cheat (I do it all the time), but you need to own it. Eating an extra 500 calories means you didn't lose weight that day, you ate at maintenance.

Every time you cheat, you're putting off being your healthy self by another day.
  • martina1411
    martina1411 Posts: 12 Member
    I do this too, and always have. I prepare a sandwich and leave it in the fridge. I USUALLY then eat this. I first started doing this to stop me cooking in my sleep. Since starting MFP I count in the sandwich
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

the point being that you can eat more and still lose weight. my guess is that you chose 2 Lbs per week right? that's actually a very aggressive rate of loss...not so much for someone with 100 Lbs to lose, but certainly for someone who only has a few vanity pounds to lose. Set it for 0.5 or 1 Lb per week.

Also note that 1200 calories is generally for "sedentary"...if you're exercising you need to account for that and eat more.
  • bluesarah13
    bluesarah13 Posts: 31 Member
    I used to sleep-eat as well. I put a bell on the fridge to wake me up just enough for me to realize what I was doing. Also, maybe you're body is telling you that 1200 calories is not enough.
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Next time you find that you want to eat something drink at least 8 oz of water first. Then decide if you are still hungry. It is a strange but true fact that the body send the exact same signal for thirst as it does for hunger. Sometimes we get the wrong impulse and we eat thinking that is what our body wants, and often it is "bad" food. If you are still hungry try eating a piece of fruit first before anything else to allow yourself to sort of cheat. I find that a really sweet orange or apple sometimes will end my need to eat something and then I can go back to sleep in peace. I agree 1,200 just might not be enough for you. This isn't an exact science, and sometimes you may need to adjust your calories a couple of times before your brain and body function well together.
    I hope this helps!
    Renee
  • We feel hungry when we are tired. Our bodies are in need of sleep but we associate this feeling with hunger; food gives us energy. Being able to differentiate between being sleepy and hungry is difficult, but try to get a solid 7-10 hours of sleep. If you feel you really must snack, try to keep it to vegetables and low sugar/fat foods, this way you won't feel guilty about the next day.
  • Thanks guys for all the input! Ill definitely up my calorie intake. And my water intake isnt as much as it should be. So maybe im dehydrated a bit! THANKS AGAIN!!
  • Handcuffs. :)

Haha! thats what I really need to get! A quick solution to my problem! Lol
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    1200 is probably FAR too low for you. "wanting to lose weight" is not a reason to eat only 1200 calories a day...unless you are a very sedentary 4'11 elderly lady, odds are you need to eat more. When you eat at a SENSIBLE deficit, you'll likely find those nighttime munchies easier to avoid.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    I found if your body is craving more than you're giving it, your willpower can just wilt late evening/ night. Otherwise if you're not eating unreasonably low levels during the day, and still overeating at night, a good option can be to apportion some/ more of your daily calories to later in the evening. Myself I solved my own nighttime eating by moving my evening meal to 8pm or so. Also I started fasting recently, and not eating from 8pm to midday the following day, so it gave me a reason not to eat at night, which helped, I found :smile:
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member

Do you literally sit on the couch all day long? I'm being dead serious. If you at least 2 times a week you need more than 1200.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    edited February 2015
    You're starving yourself with only 1200 calories per day. You natural instincts are kicking in and telling you to eat. Nature usually wins out over willpower.

Eat at a more reasonable calorie deficit to avoid the binges. Also, perhaps consider saving up some calories for a late night snack if that's what you like to do.
  • ahamm002 wrote: »
    You're starving yourself with only 1200 calories per day. You natural instincts are kicking in and telling you to eat. Nature usually wins out over willpower.

Eat at a more reasonable calorie deficit to avoid the binges. Also, perhaps consider saving up some calories for a late night snack if that's what you like to do.

If I save some calories for late is that not gonna make me gain bc im not working them off, im just sleeping? Last night I ate bananas like a few recommended. I still feel guilty in the morning though. My willpower to just not eat at night sucks. Its wierd, I do great all day! Im gonna try upping my calorie intake today.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Why would you feel guilty?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Wow I have never heard of this before.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    ahamm002 wrote: »

If I save some calories for late is that not gonna make me gain bc im not working them off, im just sleeping? Last night I ate bananas like a few recommended. I still feel guilty in the morning though. My willpower to just not eat at night sucks. Its wierd, I do great all day! Im gonna try upping my calorie intake today.

No, it definitely will not make you gain. Meal timing is insignificant compared to overall daily calories.
  • ahamm002 wrote: »
    ahamm002 wrote: »

No, it definitely will not make you gain. Meal timing is insignificant compared to overall daily calories.

Thank you!!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    you should stop eating in the middle of the night.

tumblr_m4728eVDuj1r9pfcc.gif
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    I have the same problem. The nights I think I'm going to be restless I take a benadryl to help me sleep. Also, I've tagged a few ok foods to eat if I'm hungry (vegetables, an apple, diet hot cocoa). My goals though is to stop doing this completely because it is just a habit.
  • What do yall suggest my calorie intake should be too still lose weight?