Best exercise for fat burning?

Options
Hi all, started at gym 6 weeks ago and have lost 8lbs of the 2 stone that I want to lose. My exercise regime consists of two spin classes a week, a 1K swim and an hour's gym session which is a combination of cardio and weights. Want to ensure I have a good all-round exercise plan. Am I missing anything? Am not too keen on strength training, much prefer cardio. But I want to maximise my gym time for maximum weight loss.

Replies

• kalynbreann357
    kalynbreann357 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to follow an at home program Jillian Michaels 30 day shred is amazing for burning fat. I lost 6 pounds in about 3 weeks doing the program 10 days and eating healthy.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    If you want a "good all-round exercise plan" you would do well to get over not being keen on strength training. Otherwise your plan is not well rounded. You don't have to do heavy barbell work if you don't want to, but some strength training would do you well. As far as maximizing weight loss, eat fewer calories than you use is the only right answer. You can do this by eating less, working more, or any combination of the 2.
  • michellepearson224
    Options
    Thanks...would prefer to focus on gym work, have paid enough for the membership.

So, how much strength training should I be doing per week then? I think my problem is I'm not sure how much/what to do.
  • KJoubert1966
    Options
    "Stength training" is a word that gets tossed around a lot, and it means different things to different people. In general, anything that puts on a bit more muscle is going to create a situation where you burn more calories just for body maintenance. So you can do "strength training" with free weights, kettlebells, body weight calesthenics, yoga, martial arts, etc.
    IMHO, the most efficient way to go is to combine the two... exercise in a way that both builds muscle AND elevates your heartrate, at the same time. If you are pressed for workout time, that's not a bad way to go.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Cardio is when you get your heart rate up and strength training works with muscle resistance. Both elements are good to incorporate. I do spinning classes now because I have some more time and I'm finding that it torches calories. But I opt for less speed and more resistance. When I'm on the treadmill doing a run, I opt for more resistance and run uphill. Then there is a whole school of thought that says that high intensity cardio/resistance intervals is the way to go!
  • eangel1023
    eangel1023 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have found that I almost always burn more fat on circuit strength training than cardio machines. Back and leg workouts target the largest muscles in the body and therefore are going to burn the most calories. Arm, shoulder, and ab workouts are important to include in your regime but are the smaller muscle groups in the body. Having a well rounded plan that incorporates all of these items plus 2-3 days of of cardio will reap significant rewards.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    A caloric deficit is the best way to lose fat