Sauces for Rice?

Options
Hi all,

Been working hard to change my diet but i'm struggling with Rice... I find it too bland without any sauce.

Can anyone recommend any sauces/things to do with rice that would liven it up?

Replies

• meganepreston
    meganepreston Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I like this one: http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/1167

I used to make crab rolls with cream cheese to dip in this sauce, but decided to try it on my rice last week to be a little healthier and it was good. :) I was eating Jasmine rice.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Fresh lemon juice or a little sweet sour sauce ?
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Boil it in chicken broth ie using buillon in the water.
  • C1C2C3
    C1C2C3 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Well this isn't a sauce, but is a healthy way to use rice: Stuffed pepper soup.

Here is the link - http://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2013/09/crockpot-stuffed-pepper-soup.html

This soup is very easy to adjust for food preferences or substitutions and still comes out great!
    The recipe is for the crock pot, but can easily be heated on the stove instead. I've used brown or white rice. I don't wait 30 minutes to serve after adding the cooked rice, since my rice has usually just been cooked and not leftovers that need reheated.
  • KJoubert1966
    Options
    1. caramelized onions (plenty of recipes on the web) ... you an put some peppers in there too if you want
    2. depending on your preference ... a bit of olive oil/butter/coconut oil and your favorite hot sauce
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Boil it in chicken broth ie using buillon in the water.

This
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    1. korean bbq sauce with some sriracha
    2. butter and soy sauce with some sriracha
    3. some buffalo sauce and bleu cheese dressing
    4. bbq sauce
    5. curry sauce (any variation thereof...red, yellow, masaman, jalfrezi...)
    6. butter and taco bell 'fire' packets
  • usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I like to put diced tomatoes on it! :p
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    - Lemon juice and some Greek/Italian seasonings.

- Paprika, garlic, and rosemary and fry the rice or noodles with a little olive oil.

- Cook the rice in some chunky salsa/water and then add hot black beans and chicken.

- Rice, over easy egg, and hot sauce is good for breakfast - you can do that with oatmeal, too.

- Milk/Almond milk with leftover rice, a little sugar, and cinnamon. Works good in the microwave for busy mornings.

- Always add the seasonings to the water so it soaks up in the rice while boiling - heating the herbs releases the oils.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Try this recipe for a different type of cooked rice... instead of just steamed white rice... It's about 180 calories per serving and very tasty.
  • wam696bam
    Options
    good ideas I've been struggling with rice too. any recipes with cumin?
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I second using chicken broth instead of water to cook the rice. You can saute onion and/or garlic first then cook in chicken broth. Try adding cilantro and lime after rice is cooked. Or add tumeric to the broth it will turn it a pretty yellow color. Or add a can of rotel tomatoes, you my need to reduce the chicken broth some.
  • jordanify
    jordanify Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    wam696bam wrote: »
    good ideas I've been struggling with rice too. any recipes with cumin?

Caramelize an onion in a pan. Boil rice in chicken broth with a little cumin, i like to add a can of lentils at the end. When you serve it, place half of the onion on top with a dollop of greek natural yogurt. It's delish.
  • lwynd002
    lwynd002 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I second the rice with salsa ! Oh so yummy!
    Also, stir fry sauce...(make your own or store bought) with veg and your choice of protein
  • jordanify
    jordanify Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to cook it starts with gently sauteeing a thumb of ginger, once fragrant add minced garlic, then dry rice and fry for 2 more minutes. Add broth and simmer 18 minutes. You can experiment with adding a diced roma or fresh cilantro or green onion at the end. I would advise against sauces as most contain too many not so healthy additives.
  • LoadedM6Tina
    LoadedM6Tina Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    A-1 Steak Sauce! I have chicken with rice and A-1. :)