Depressed & eating..

Options
I didn't know where else to turn, so I thought I'd post here. Me and hubs good friend was involved in a head on collision early this morning. I waited all day to hear news, and just recently learned it's not good. He is in the intensive care with a fractured skull along with other injuries. When I get depressed, stressed, upset, anxious, etc all I want to do is eat. Thats where a lot of my weight gain came from. Depression = eating. I ate a lot more calories than I typically do today, and didn't really feel this mornings workout as all I did was stare at my phone. I am going to see him tomorrow, will skip my workout, and probably eat crappy. Support. I need it. I hate feeling so helpless!

Replies

• fadedflower79
    fadedflower79 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! Praying for your friend and you as you cope!
  • Kristylarson
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear that! Is it your husband in intensive care? Sorry I didn't quite follow. It's hard and I don't think there are really any words to comfort you. Try to curve your energy towards something else. Go for a walk to take your mind off of things. Put a movie on. Listen to relaxing music.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    You have no control over his injuries. You need to be on top of your game right now.

Sugar, caffeine, alcohol and excessive fats will make you feel like cr@p. Take a walk around the hospital every chance you get (outside if possible).

I'm sorry this happened to you. It will be okay. (((hug)))
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    So sorry to here this news. Hang in there. Everyone is here to support you and get you through this. Eating has been a comfort for me too. Now when I do need that comfort I come on this site...sounds cheesy but it has helped. And when I do eat, the food is much better. My mentality has changed. You can get there too.
  • kdsmith
    kdsmith Posts: 250
    Options
    Sending you lots of hugs for this hard time. Try to tell yourself that your friend will need your strength, focus on doing things that can help the situation in whatever way you can and use your anxiety to fuel a workout...even if you don't have time for your full workout, make sure you get out for a walk or something. It's a full circle...depression = not working out = overeating. Change this circle...workout and eat healthy so that you can try to avoid the depression.
    Kim
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You're going to need your strength to deal with this hard time. If you eat crappy, it will make you less able to cope...a viscous circle! I realize working out may be hard to get into as well, but it will boost your mood and it would be good for you and those around you to remain positive.
  • nina1968
    nina1968 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry this has happend. But you also have to think of your health. Bring healthy snacks with you tomorrow. Maybe pack a salad some fruit, fresh veggies. And as other people have said try and take a walk around the hospital. Bring some water with you also, Most of the time when you think your hungry you are really in need of water. I hope your friend recovers, But try and think of yourself also, And take care of you.
  • betterlife2011
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about ur friend. I understand where u r coming from i have bad depression and i do overeat when i get really low The thing is {for what i hear} is to walk, listen to music or read a book and that feelin will go away. It has worked sometimes in the passed and it could work for u too I will have u and ur friends and his family in my thoughts and prays When my best friend got into a bad wreck I just told myself that God has a plan for all of us even though we may not agree with it everything is in his hands now and for ever. Take care and best wishes ur way :cry:
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I hope everything turns out okay for you.

When it comes to YOUR health, though: There is ALWAYS an excuse not to eat healthy or right and to not exercise. Depression sucks. But ignoring your health because of depression leads into a cycle that is very difficult to break. You eat because you're depressed, you get more depressed because you over ate... and so on and so forth.

*OR*

You can CHOSE not to let this get in the way of your health. You can let your health and self control bring you out of your depression and become a stronger person. Don't let anything get in your way.

I wish you and your friend all the luck in the world.

Read my quote below.
  • crissy75
    crissy75 Posts: 1
    Options
    so sorry to hear about your friend. yes i too eat when im under stress. try not to be anxious about what u r going to do tomorrow. i know from personal experience that is NOT EASY!! but we only can do this one day at a time with one anothers support. focus on good eating habits one day at a time. thats what im trying so hard to do!! hope this helps some.......
  • AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am sosorry to hear bad news and hope everything goes well with your friend! Right now with stress and axiety I wouldn't worry to much about food and calories. If food is comfort for you then its ok to cheat to get through this tough tragic accident that just occured. I will friend you and keep updates with you! I want to help give compassion and prays out to you during this tough time!
    April
  • laceylovespink
    Options
    I'm a stress eater too....grab some peanut butter, celery and a bag of almonds or protein shake mix and toss them in your purse. Vending machine candy and chips will not help anything and then you'll just feel even worse. Be prepared and be strong...you CAN do this. So very sorry to hear about your friends I hope and pray everything goes better SOON!!
  • mehlen
    mehlen Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. On the food thing.. I'm right there with the stress eating. Stock up on things like celery and peanut butter, carrots, frozen veggies (easy to microwave),... for carbs...rice cakes (Quaker makes some nice flavored ones) but take it easy on the carbs. There's lots you can eat that is low in calorie count that can help you over the eating fix you're feeling right now...but keep you strong for your friend and family.

*hugs*
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!!

He is leaving the ICU tomorrow! They wanted to keep an eye on him, but his injuries are no longer life threatening!! Such great news!
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Good news for your friend!

When I had to spend lots of time in hospital with my husband, I took up crocheting. Something to do with my hands that didn't involve putting something in my mouth. And let me tell you, my husband was very very grouchy which added to the stress.

GG
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!!

He is leaving the ICU tomorrow! They wanted to keep an eye on him, but his injuries are no longer life threatening!! Such great news!

Oh, that's great to hear. :smile:
  • sherri85
    sherri85 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Been there and done that!! I lost two nieces in two seperate car accidents and I burried my emotions with food!! I am soo trying to work on that now because it has done nothing but cause me more heartache and pain.... Im soo glad your friend is gonna make it.. All I can say is try to find another vice other than food that's what I am working on... This site has helped alot!! Soooo many good people on here!!!