Why has the gym become elitist?

Options
2»

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Well Planet Fitness is certainly elitist.

wait, what?

Yeah pretty much. Look at their ads. They don't want all types of gym goers
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Ermagerds elitism!

Yeah no. That's called projection.
  • elleykat
    elleykat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    One point the author made was when he said: "If you’re already comfortable in the gym, work to make it a more comfortable place for others. When you see somebody unfit that’s new in your club, smile and introduce yourself." I found myself shaking my head at the author.

When I was new at the gym, that was the last thing I wanted anyone to do. Do I look like that much of a n00b that I stick out and it's completely apparent?

Went for my first session with a personal trainer at the YMCA last night, and this slightly older gentleman with a terrific accent (no idea where he was from, but I barely understood what he was trying to tell me...) stopped me on the stairs and told me something to the effect of "When you're hungry, just eat a little bit, and then no more. You work and work and work and think 'I am hungry,' but eat just a little bit, and no more." And I'm just standing there, all 5'4", 237 lbs of me, smiling and nodding and going "oh, yeah, mmhmm, just a little bit" and thinking - I'm not sure whether to be offended or amused or what here. OH BOY. I've decided he meant well, so I have to laugh and shake my head and go about my business. He clearly decided I was a n00b in need of some diet advice, though!!
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    The standards for admission and acceptance are pretty low in my home gym.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It's not our job to be greeters- this isn't F*cking Wal-mart.

The gym has a staff- they can be greeters.

Don't be a d!ck applies to EVERY situation- including the gym. No one OWES you a thumbs up. Good job if you get one- but it's not owed- certainly not because someone happens to be occupying the same space as someone else who happens to be new.

Secondly.

"It's an excuse for people in shape to show off"

You're damn right it is. And 9/10 what do not in shape people say- if I had that body- I'd be showing it off too."
    Anyone who is saying how awful this infiltration of fit bodies with little motivational slogans on them are- are fat and out of shape people looking for an excuse to hate on others.

Secondly- thirdly- or whatever- people who are genuinely fit and train... aren't concerning themselves with happy memo's and notes of how many burpees that Reese's cost them.

lame article is lame.
    and wrong.
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've seen it some places I've belonged to. And I don't know if it was my own projection but I definitely felt it more when I was 300lbs + than now that I'm smaller. There's nothing quite like standing in front of a machine that looks like a medieval torture device with no idea how to use it while the grunty guy on the next machine over is eying you up trying to figure out if you're going to mess with his flow when he finishes this set. Perceived or real that's what it felt like.
  • dbmata
    Options
    but, but, that reese's stick cost me 5 deficit deadlifts with two pauses at 3 plates!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    bethira wrote: »
    I've seen it some places I've belonged to. And I don't know if it was my own projection but I definitely felt it more when I was 300lbs + than now that I'm smaller. There's nothing quite like standing in front of a machine that looks like a medieval torture device with no idea how to use it while the grunty guy on the next machine over is eying you up trying to figure out if you're going to mess with his flow when he finishes this set. Perceived or real that's what it felt like.

it's projection- they might notice you for a minute- but they don't really don't spend any time really thinking about you. People think they are more important than they are. Which is why they think people are really concerned with their own goings on. We aren't. I

but, but, that reese's stick cost me 5 deficit deadlifts with two pauses at 3 plates!
    you take that and run with it- I was in a world of hurt yesterday for 5 x 6 at 255. :(
  • dbmata
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    you take that and run with it- I was in a world of hurt yesterday for 5 x 6 at 255. :(
    They aren't too bad, add a hold at the top to make them super lame.

Yesterday was learning snatch... and dude, my hams and back are sore like I don't even know. This is far more sore than deads has ever done to me.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Yesterday was learning snatch... and dude, my hams and back are sore like I don't even know. This is far more sore than deads has ever done to me.

I do pause deads- so lift to the knees- hold- then complete the lift to the top.

And yes- any pause in a dead - anywhere along the path SUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK.

lol good luck with the snatch- I pretty much only do SA DB snatches. I think I'm to afraid on my own to try it... without some guidance. It's a fun lift though- I really enjoy clean and press. Oly lifting to me is just FUN. It's hard- but fun.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Can't say I've noticed any elitism at my gym. I go there and lift while trying to talk to as few people as possible so I can get my workout in for the day and go home.
  • dbmata
    Options

I do pause deads- so lift to the knees- hold- then complete the lift to the top.

And yes- any pause in a dead - anywhere along the path SUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK.

lol good luck with the snatch- I pretty much only do SA DB snatches. I think I'm to afraid on my own to try it... without some guidance. It's a fun lift though- I really enjoy clean and press. Oly lifting to me is just FUN. It's hard- but fun.

Double down.
    Pause before the knees coming up, pause at the knees coming down. There's also that 10-30 second hold at the top of each rep.

Wanna beast mode? Snatch grip, while standing on a block. I did those a little for the comp... those sucked so bad I don't want to do them again til summer.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Double down.
    Pause before the knees coming up, pause at the knees coming down. There's also that 10-30 second hold at the top of each rep.

Wanna beast mode? Snatch grip, while standing on a block. I did those a little for the comp... those sucked so bad I don't want to do them again til summer.

LOL that sounds like epic suck.

Also- I don't have time. I barely have time to do my workouts as it is- I'm usually cutting out at LEAST 1 accessory lifting- adding more pauses won't help. :( I'll give it a go if I can next time- I usually do pause lifts once a week or every other.
  • dbmata
    edited February 2015
    Options
    heh, I did a pause squat yesterday at 120kg. First time squatting without a cage or rack, I got in the hole and my brain just quietly focused on. "What happens if you get stuck."

Thanks, jerk. Took a second to shake it off, then stood up. Silly rabbi.
  • sssgilber
    sssgilber Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    This article seems to be more about fitness culture rather than the fitness industry or gyms in general. I do like this part though:

"Recognize that you’ve created a filter bubble around yourself. If you ascribe to one particular way of exercising or eating that fine, but it’s not for everybody. What you see in your searches and feeds was chosen for you because of actions that you’ve previously taken. I urge you not only to read opposing opinions, but also to introduce others to them."

I'm glad some people read the article and not just its title.
  • KJoubert1966
    Options
    @JM1481 ... great video. :D