Replacing Beer with Liquor

Options
seththealmighty
seththealmighty Posts: 51 Member
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
So I've recently started dieting. I'm currently on a low-carb diet (p90x fat shredder phase), and have stopped drinking my one beer a day but still have plenty of calories at the end of the day for a nice drink; however, no available carbs.

My question is pretty simple and for the dark liquor connoisseurs out there. What is an excellent whiskey or bourbon of choice for a daily drinker. The drink should not have any added sugars like American Honey. Not too cheap, but not $250 per bottle either. I'll only be consuming one cocktail glass per evening, so possibly 1-2 bottles per month at the most.

Cheers :)

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I don't like bourbon, too sweet for me (which may mean it has a higher carb content, I don't know, I don't count carbs)...I prefer single malt scotch, Islay is my favorite, but many people find Highland and Speyside malts to be more accessible. Laphroaig is my fave Islay, and I rather like Glenmorangie as a reasonably priced Highland.
  • bjosie124
    Options
    I've been a bartender in top notch cocktail and whiskey bars in San Francisco and Portland for the past 8 years. Hands down, my go to bourbon is Eagle Rare 10 year. It's distilled by Buffalo Trace, young enough for heat but old enough for the fine velvety character, 69 calories per oz, and only $35 for a 750ml. This is the bourbon that the high end bars use in their old fashioneds. Others to check out: Wathen's, Michter's, WL Weller (the 12 year if you can find it)
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    While I think the idea of "low carb to shed fat" is bunk...

Try a high-rye bourbon like Eagle Rare 10yr or Elijah Craig 12yr. Both are very good, a little spicy, and not very sweet. Buffalo Trace is also a favorite of mine. Or just go straight rye whiskey with something like Bulleit or Templeton.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    While I think the idea of "low carb to shed fat" is bunk...

Try a high-rye bourbon like Eagle Rare 10yr or Elijah Craig 12yr. Both are very good, a little spicy, and not very sweet. Buffalo Trace is also a favorite of mine. Or just go straight rye whiskey with something like Bulleit or Templeton.

agree..

Johnny Walk Black is a scotch that I like...blue label is freaking awesome ,but expensive...

• calell83
    calell83 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Dewar's Blue label is pretty good. Also 12 year Jameson
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options
    Oh, I forgot about Irish! Bushmills for me, very nice and smooth. Also good as an intro to whisk(e)y, as the Irish don't smoke the peat as the Scots do...I like the smoke but many people find it off-putting if they aren't used to the taste.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Johnny Walker is my go-to as well, but really it's something you're gonna have to try on your own and make your own choices. Like wines, each scotch/bourbon has its own set of flavors and nuances. JW is going to be relatively smoky; others have a more oaky flavor. Some are smoother than others, etc.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Ever try Woodford Reserve? Good bourbon.
  • HeySwoleSister
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Johnny Walker is my go-to as well, but really it's something you're gonna have to try on your own and make your own choices. Like wines, each scotch/bourbon has its own set of flavors and nuances. JW is going to be relatively smoky; others have a more oaky flavor. Some are smoother than others, etc.

JW is a blend, so it should be pretty balanced.

I actually learned to love single malts at a JW event. One of the master mixers was over in the US and led a tasting of all the single malts that they blend into Johnny Walker Black. It was a great event and I really recommend getting on the JW mailing list if they still do these events...they tend to come to major US cities a couple of times a year. http://www.johnniewalker.com/en-us/mainevents/eventVenue/?venue=8

And, this may be heresy, but I actually like the Black best of all the JW blends, including Blue, Gold, and Green. I don't like all the edges rubbed off my Scotch.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    This right here is the #1 reason why I could never, no way, ever go low carb.

No beer make Jruzer...something something
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

I actually learned to love single malts at a JW event. One of the master mixers was over in the US and led a tasting of all the single malts that they blend into Johnny Walker Black. It was a great event and I really recommend getting on the JW mailing list if they still do these events...they tend to come to major US cities a couple of times a year. http://www.johnniewalker.com/en-us/mainevents/eventVenue/?venue=8

And, this may be heresy, but I actually like the Black best of all the JW blends, including Blue, Gold, and Green. I don't like all the edges rubbed off my Scotch.

My neighbor just got a bottle of the platinum...I really need to find my way over to his house this weekend some time!
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options

My neighbor just got a bottle of the platinum...I really need to find my way over to his house this weekend some time!

Good Booze makes Good Neighbors. ~nods sagely~
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Good Booze makes Good Neighbors. ~nods sagely~

I'll raise a glass to that!
  • seththealmighty
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I guess I have a lot of shopping to do to break out of my cage. I've always been a beer drinker, cept when I was a kid and drank *kitten* liquors just to get drunk. lol I think I'll give Elijah Craig and Eagle Rare a try for my first bottles. Oh, and I do like woody flavors. I have a full cabinet of barrel aged beers that I'm just letting age away.

edit: I actually think I have some Johnny Walker Black stashed away that I never opened.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. :D
  • glevinso
    Options
    JW Black isn't bad for a blended scotch. Blue is pretty damn good though.

For scotch if you like a sweeter flavor I would go with something like the MacAllan. For earthy/smoky Laphroaig is my go-to.
  • seththealmighty
    Options
    I have honestly never had a scotch, so I have no clue yet. Gotta start somewhere.
  • glevinso
    Options
    Careful with scotch. It's one of those things that can become an obsession. Every distillery is different and so many excellent flavors.
  • juggernaut1974
    edited February 2015
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    JW Black isn't bad for a blended scotch. Blue is pretty damn good though.

For scotch if you like a sweeter flavor I would go with something like the MacAllan. For earthy/smoky Laphroaig is my go-to.

MMm Laphroaig is fantastic!
  • glevinso
    Options
    In fact, I have some Laphroaig Quarter Cask left. I think that will be my night cap tonight.