Good walking shoes??

Options
hello I'm going to try and find some good walking shoes I usually always wear my dansko's walking or just Daily, I rolled my ankle really bad last night which happens more then not with the tall shoe if you have any ideas or what works well for you please comment !

Replies

• silvercat76
    silvercat76 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Nike?
  • KJoubert1966
    Options
    Lightweight hiking shoes, 1/2 size larger than normal, with added Dr. Scholl's arch supports... I use Merrell Moab shoes.
  • aimeecardiff
    Options
    I love asolo walking boots, but also second Merrill.

If you go over on your ankles often, you need to strengthen them, or they will only get weaker (mine got so damaged I needed surgery). The first step is squats and heel raises - quite small movements. Once you can do those without wobbling so much you think you will fall over, move to slow one legged squats and one legged heel raises, again small movements.

When you do the exercises, you may be able to see the small muscles etc twitching, that's a sign they are working hard.

Hope your ankle feels better soon.
  • KJoubert1966
    Options
    I don't know what cirumstances you were under when you rolled your ankle. I've rolled my own a few times, playing basketball, coming down on someone else's foot. But I hike all over the mountains in low-top shoes and have never injured my ankle. Oh there have been plenty of times I have "almost" rolled my ankle, where I twisted it, etc. but was able to stop the motion before I truly injured it. Unless you're carrying a lot of extra weight and/or a heavy pack, your ankles should be strong enough to support you with no trouble, on all but the most uneven ground. There's a school of thought that the more you "protect" your ankle... the less you strengthen it. Just something to think about.
  • wmander1
    wmander1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've had lots of ankle issues but that's more about my balance than my shoes! I suggest Asics, they are the best shoes that I've purchased. If you have a Kohls nearby they normally have them at a huge discount compared to the sports stores!
  • Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Can you go to a running store and be screened by the employees? I don't know where you live, but I bet you have one you can visit. They can put you on the treadmill and analyze your gait, helping to determine how much support you need. Then they bring out tons of shoes for you to try on and determine what feels best. I have found that Brooks shoes fit me best for walking. Most of my shoes are Brooks. I do have a pair of Nikes that I wear to workout in, and I love them for that, but they do not give enough support for a 5-8 mile walk.

My hiking boots are a completely different animal. While I wear them to hike 15-17 miles and don't have a bit of trouble in them, I would not wear them to fitness walk on a road or path.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Easy Spirit Walk-Run. I love mine. Bought them online, on sale because the color was discontinued. They really helped with the lower back pain that I was getting from walking in Reeboks.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I love my Merrill's -- I have Merrill hiking shoes and regular Merrill walking shoes and boots
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I usually always wear my dansko's walking or just Daily, I rolled my ankle really bad last night which happens more then not with the tall shoe

Most shoes, including Dansko, have a raised heel, which makes it easier to roll your ankle, due to the higher center of gravity. The best shoes for walking have a zero heel.. like skateboard shoes, Keds, Merrells, etc. Pick whichever one you find comfortable. Avoid shoes with a spongy sole, like running shoes, because it gives less lateral control. Personally i walk in skateboard shoes.

sz6pCTy.jpg

• hoecradle
    hoecradle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like salewa trail shoes. Comfortable and cheap. Come with 3 different insoles to meet your needs.