Weight Watchers and MFP

Options
So I joined WW about 3 weeks ago. For whatever reason I decided to download MFP on my phone as well. One thing I noticed is that MFP makes me aware of the AMOUNT of sugar/carbs/etc that I should be taking in - while WW does not. It assigns a points value - but I almost spit out my coffee when I was dual logging and noticed that my tall NF white mocha had 49 grams of sugar and put me dangerously close to my daily total. I would have never noticed that if I had just used WW. It just tells me it's 3 points - which to me is winning! Has anyone else noticed this? How can we lose weight on WW if we don't need to calculate the banana or apple which has 0 points?

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Unless you're diabetic you don't need to worry about the sugar as long as you stay under goal.

I am more concerned with meeting the minimum nutrients..calcium, fiber, iron? Protein, calcium, and fat (yes fat) more than restrictions my carbs/sugar.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    More importantly, MFP is free!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    The goal that you get from WW is lower in calories than your MFP goal would be. That makes up for the several hundred calories that are "free". For example when I was double logging on both sites I would hit my points on the WW log while being under 1200 calories before logging any of the 0 point fruits and veggies.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    Very interesting. ..
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I've never used WW but I would assume that most people aren't fat because they're eating too much fruit or have too much sugar in their coffee. It's usually other things - sodas, fast food, alcohol, and just extreme overeating that causes people to be overweight. WW seems to be more "big picture" while MFP lets you know every little thing you put in your body.

I'm sure both ways work fine, you just have to do what works for you!
  • wizzybeth
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Well people can be overweight from drinking too many latte/cappuccinos - if you look here on MFP you will find some folks sharing how they have multiple calorie-laden coffees per day...as in, a couple hundred calories per cup, a couple times per day.

• adriat
    adriat Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    holly55555 wrote: »
    WW seems to be more "big picture" while MFP lets you know every little thing you put in your body.

Yep. They're both good programs, with basically the same methods, more calories burned than consumed. I did WW after my 1st pregnancy and lost 30 pounds. Then I discovered MFP after my 2nd child. I like MFP much better because first and foremost it's FREE and I like the community on MFP way more.

• mrm5970
    Options
    I've been doing MFP for quite some time now, but my company is offering WW at Work Program for free, so I am going to sign up just to have some additional accountability. I will probably still track in both systems during those 12 weeks - would be very interesting to compare what I am eating and how it shows up in the log.
  • adriat
    adriat Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    So far...I tend to go over on WW while still being under on MFP. Maybe its the calories I eat back. I don't eat them all...but a girl is hungry after a workout!
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I lost about 30lbs in 3 months on WW a few yrs ago but, gained them all back and some. It does work if you stick to your points. I noticed on some things here it counts for more like apples and bananas but, Things like meals I can actually eat more of on MFP. Plus its free and super easy.