Is wheat bread better for you?

Options
I've been eating wheat bread for almost 2 months now but I find myself hungrier than when I was eating white bread. ??? So confused I ate a grilled chicken sandwich with wheat bread 2 hours ago and I am like at a 7 in hunger.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Very little difference in calories, etc. Might be a bit more fiber, but again, not really enough to make a huge difference.

It's primarily personal preference.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Marginally better. Both kinds of bread would be the same for satiety, but the chicken should make you feel fuller.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I like white bread partly there's fewer calories in a slice

As for satiety I'm pretty sure wholewheat is higher in fibre though
  • lulupizza
    lulupizza Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    But why am I so hungry after 1-2 hrs? :( I usually eat just a bit more than the calories I should be eating a day. Rarely anything fried, soda maybe once a week, and bananas and oranges for snacks.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    lulupizza wrote: »
    But why am I so hungry after 1-2 hrs? :( I usually eat just a bit more than the calories I should be eating a day. Rarely anything fried, soda maybe once a week, and bananas and oranges for snacks.

I don't know for sure, but it's highly unlikely its solely due to the difference between white & wheat bread. What else are you eating? What is your typical daily diet like?
  • lulupizza
    Options
    I feel more hungry when I eat wheat one day than when I don't on another day which is why I think wheat is the problem? I eat a lot of grilled meats on a daily basis, cereal or juice for breakfast and dinner is random but within an appropriate amount of calories
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You realize that white bread is (quite frequently, some is rye and so on) wheat bread, right? Are you actually eating whole wheat?

Anyway, whole grain tends to have more nutrients, especially fiber, but the differences aren't that great. I don't find either particularly filling on its own, although people differ on this. Also, IMO, if you add meat and make a sandwich or some such it can be part of a more filling meal. So if you are starving I suspect it's not the difference in the bread, unless you find whole grain more difficult to digest and are mistaking stomach upset for hunger (which can happen).

If the switch to whole wheat happened around the time you started dieting my guess would be less food overall or a psychological reaction to perceived deprivation. If you prefer white and think you feel better eating it, though, go with white. There's not that much of a difference.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I like better whole grain bread
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Wheat as opposed to what? Potato bread is probably healthier than wheat, but I prefer eating my potatoes in other ways.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Ok back up here, I'm confused

I thought Americans called wholemeal / seeded bread wheat bread is that not right?

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Whole wheat. Wheat just means made of wheat, which includes white. More generally, "wheat" is the grocery store designation for brownish (or light tan) bread, but unless it says "whole wheat" or "whole grain" in the ingredients it's not.

OP doesn't seem to realize that most white bread is made of wheat, however, or I'm getting that from her posts.
  • lulupizza
    Options
    the one I buy says 100% whole wheat
  • lulupizza
    Options
    i think i'm going to switch back to white or find another type of bread for a while
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Are you over restricting yourself? Can you open your diary?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Report back and let us know if the white bread made a difference.