How often to cheat?

Options
Just wondering how often, and how hard should I cheat. I'm 19 and 285 in the process of losing weight, but it already seems pretty unrealistic for me to go straight forward without having something here and there. I'm also already on a 1,940 calorie diet so... Just wondering

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Define "cheat"

In the end it's all going to come down to the numbers. You can call it "cheating", you can call it whatever you want. But if your "cheating" causes you to eat more calories than you burn over the long haul, it will be counterproductive. If you can "cheat" but still maintain a long-term calorie deficit, it will only slow down your rate of loss.

at your age, and size, 1940 is probably a pretty drastic deficit already, so a few small (500-ish calorie) "cheats" once or twice a month probably won't be too bad. A 6,000 calorie trip to the buffet "cheat" once a week is probably not going to be effective.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat. I just eat within my needs with whatever food I want.
  • DEJAnoVU
    DEJAnoVU Posts: 37 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    No need to overly restrict your self unless you have medical reasons...
    If it fits within your calorie goal for the day "cheat" as hard as you want. Just make sure to track everything accurately and honestly throughout the day.
    I find eatting things in moderation daily prevents me from binging and delaying progress.
    I personally, like to "cheat" every night before bed with 2 Coconut Dreams.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    It's all about learning to fit the foods you love into your daily calories. There is no need to deprive yourself of anything, it's about portion control. This way you lose the weight you want, with the foods that you love as well. It's not about suffering along the way of losing weight. :drinker:
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    So have something here and there. You can lose weight without cutting foods out of your day. That's not saying go all out and consume nothing but pizza/chips/beer every day, but work them into your goals in moderation while meeting your calorie and macro goals.
  • AliciaJade93
    AliciaJade93 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you cut out the foods you love your lifestyle will he harder and more unrealistic to maintain. Keep within your calorie goal and make you diet 80% clean 20% whatever you want.

You are not on a diet, what you eat is your diet but is not a "diet" aka fad diet you will give up and get bored of.

Don't restrict but don't over indulge, a chocolate biscuit once a day won't make you fat, a whole chocolate fudge cake a day on the other hand will. It's about portion and control.

Hope this helped xxx
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I do a cheat meal once a week if I FEEL I need it. Sometimes you mentally need a break. But I don't force it.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It is important to play the long game. Don't be so strict that you give up. Don't beat yourself up if you do eat something you deem "unhealthy".

I have learned that I can eat whatever I want but just not always in the quantity that I did before. I have one cookie instead of three. I have five or six chips instead of the whole bag. I have one slice of pizza not four.

When I do eat these foods that many would say are "cheat" foods I log them and try to stay within my calorie budget.

Life is life is life. You might go over once in awhile. Log it and move on. (To give you very clear idea though - I personally only go over my calorie limit like two or three times a month and I try not to go over it more than 100-300 calories.)
  • GregPh67
    GregPh67 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Define "cheat"

In the end it's all going to come down to the numbers. You can call it "cheating", you can call it whatever you want. But if your "cheating" causes you to eat more calories than you burn over the long haul, it will be counterproductive. If you can "cheat" but still maintain a long-term calorie deficit, it will only slow down your rate of loss.

at your age, and size, 1940 is probably a pretty drastic deficit already, so a few small (500-ish calorie) "cheats" once or twice a month probably won't be too bad. A 6,000 calorie trip to the buffet "cheat" once a week is probably not going to be effective.

I see, understood thanks for the advice. Sorry for not elaborating. By cheat I meant actually eat foods that are enjoyable such as a cheeseburger. And if it went over my calorie goal by maybe 400 so be it. Not a 6,000 calorie trip to a buffet, that should probably be considered failing not cheating lol.
  • GregPh67
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I don't cheat. I just eat within my needs with whatever food I want.

Awesome thank you
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. If you "cheat" a certain way and you're still losing weight, rock on. If you "cheat" and you start gaining, maybe that's not a good idea. There are (lots of) days that I go over my calories, but I don't designate a cheat day or meal...

My advice is to log everything, even when you cheat. That's the only way you're going to be able to accurately assess your progress.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I don't intentionally cheat on my calories. I believe that I've only went over my calories once or twice. I followed that up with a hard exercise the following day though. Make sure that you are eating enough protein and fiber. Those will help you feel full longer.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Never
  • GregPh67
    Options
    DEJAnoVU wrote: »
    No need to overly restrict your self unless you have medical reasons...
    If it fits within your calorie goal for the day "cheat" as hard as you want. Just make sure to track everything accurately and honestly throughout the day.
    I find eatting things in moderation daily prevents me from binging and delaying progress.
    I personally, like to "cheat" every night before bed with 2 Coconut Dreams.

Nope, no medical relation. I track every little thing as well, thank you for your input. I don't go over the calorie goal though I do eat mostly whatever as long as it's not chocolate all day as long as it's within the goal like you suggested
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    GregPh67 wrote: »
    Define "cheat"

I see, understood thanks for the advice. Sorry for not elaborating. By cheat I meant actually eat foods that are enjoyable such as a cheeseburger. And if it went over my calorie goal by maybe 400 so be it. Not a 6,000 calorie trip to a buffet, that should probably be considered failing not cheating lol.

Yeah in that case I wouldn't call a cheeseburger "cheating". I'd call it dinner and make it fit into my calories for the day. I might choose a 1/4 lb burger with veggies instead of a triple whopper, though (unless you've got the calories to spend...in which case go for the whopper!)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Define "cheat"

Yeah in that case I wouldn't call a cheeseburger "cheating". I'd call it dinner and make it fit into my calories for the day. I might choose a 1/4 lb burger with veggies instead of a triple whopper, though (unless you've got the calories to spend...in which case go for the whopper!)

Yep, veggies!
    e18x5hfud2c9.jpeg
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Never. If it's a true lifestyle. Why would I "cheat hard" on my own life and goals? I splurge. I have treats. Life happens. Celebrations happen. No need for planned gluttony. There's lots of unplanned gluttony.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Define "cheat"

Yep, veggies!
    e18x5hfud2c9.jpeg

*drool*
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My advice is to structure your diet around most whole foods, get enough fat and protein, and then fit in a few treat foods here and there. I usually eat about 1500 calories worth of foods that meet my fat, calorie, macro, and micro goals. Then I usually have about 200-300 calories of ice cream or cookies or whatever.

If you feel like your diet makes you need to cheat, then I'd recommend rethinking it so that it feels a little less restrictive to you.
  • AllAboutThatSpace
    AllAboutThatSpace Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just wondering how often, and how hard should I cheat. I'm 19 and 285 in the process of losing weight, but it already seems pretty unrealistic for me to go straight forward without having something here and there. I'm also already on a 1,940 calorie diet so... Just wondering

Cheating is bad. One should never cheat. On their significant other or while counting calories. If you want to eat a few pieces of pizza or a whopper, put it in your calories for the day. Problem solved.