dessert ... can it be included?

Options
I've been really cracking down on my calories and lately I've been wanting dessert so I budget the calories as part of my daily goal but I was wondering if I shouldn't be eating dessert at all... Thoughts anyone? I've lost 11 lbs so far :)

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    As long as you are getting a balanced diet otherwise, I don't think it's that big of a deal. Just watch your weight loss. I personally can't lose at all, staying under calories, but eating too much sugar/simple carbs daily. When I first lost weight I could; now, not so much.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    As long as you budget them into your calorie goal and are ok with it, then eat up!!! I would ;)
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't overindulge and make smart choices for dessert I don't see anything wrong with it. A snickers bar daily? No I don't think that's a good idea though, LOL.
  • macdaddyyall
    Options
    Eat a little so you don't crave it to the point of a binge! I think as long as you can budget it in you'll be fine.
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    If I can fit in a full pint of Ben & Jerrys into my diet. I'm sure you can find a way to fit in some dessert ;)

Look at my diary for example: Pop tart w/ Nutella on top. And I still came in at all my limits.
  • Rocchellita
    Rocchellita Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    THank you all for your responses! I've never really been into dessert but I tried the no sugar added klondike bars (skim-a-bear) ... They r just awesome ...lol ... I will limit myself though :) I do eat very balanced just watch my portions so that I can have my sweet.
  • Jbauer41
    Jbauer41 Posts: 55
    Options
    MMM Ben & Jerry's. . .:love: You have to think rationally during this "diet" process. Are you never going to eat dessert again?? If you're in it for a lifestyle adjustment -- eat what you want -- just cut back on other things.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Yes... I think you absolutely can! I just plan for it and budget my calories accordingly. For example, I had a coconut cupcake this evening... and still came up with 431 calories to spare - even after a healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner.
  • Jbauer41
    Jbauer41 Posts: 55
    Options
    Forgot to congratulate you on the weight loss too!! Keep it up.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    When I started my journey I was doing Jenny Craig - and they actually have desert at least 4 times a week as part of their plan....
    So I ate it religiously :-) Over time I have started looking at anything that becomes a "habit" and questioning whether I need it, or is it a crutch.... Now I will occasionally eat desert - if I feel like having it - rather than it being a habit.

Also instead of chocolate mousse or ice cream on Jenny Craig I will now most probably have frozen berries and some greek yoghurt - with a bit of sugar free jello sometimes

But by all means - if it helps you - and you "budget" it in to your daily calories go for it!!
  • Chinook71
    Chinook71 Posts: 19
    Options
    I would say YES, so you don't end up bingeing. Personally, I try to stick to higher quality sweets - organic dark chocolate....etc. I have also read that it is best to eat dessert right after a meal (which will help your body process the sugars more efficiently)

Good luck! :)
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have told several people that my favorite thing about MFP- and why I think it is a GREAT long-term way to take off and keep off weight- is because I can eat whatever I want, as long as I don't eat it all on the same day. :tongue:
    I LOVE dessert!!
  • Rocchellita
    Rocchellita Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Some really good input from everyone!!! The advise and opinions are awesome :)