Water?

Options
How do you guys/gals get your selves to drink so much water.
I used to drink only one a day. On days I exercise I drink another glass or 2. And since I've started this I've been drinking an extra one or 2.
So I have gone from 1 glass to 5 max which I've only done once since i started this; I average around 3. So how do I get up to 8?

I only drink water so yea lol.

But thank you for all the suggestions! I think I'm going to go get a bigger water bottle or something. And the lemon slices sound really good too :)

Replies

• eyeamAnne
    eyeamAnne Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Fit it in gradually, sounds like that is what you're trying. I make sure I guzzle a glass before breakfast and then another after breakfast. Eventually I started doing it before my other meals. I get most of my water in the morning. I don't know about the others, but I like to get most of it out of my system before bed so I can rest well without having to get up ;-)
  • CRmom2
    CRmom2 Posts: 73
    Options
    Try making a pitcher of water with some fresh fruit slices in it, like strawberries, lemon, etc. it will give it some healthy, refreshing flavor! My children use to fight when it came to drinking water but I started that and now thats all they want to drink.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I carry a 24oz pop bottle and fill it with water.. there's three cups right there. You drink that one down as you do your thing, then fill it up again. All you have to do is drink 3 of those bottles a day for 9 cups. Or they make those nifty double walled cups with the straws.. if you had a 24 oz one of those, same thing.. 3 cups every fill up. If you keep it handy, it's easier to get the glasses in.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Make yourself drink one glass immediately before and immediately after each meal (that's 6), and another before and after exercise (that would make 8).
  • kristarablue
    kristarablue Posts: 707
    Options
    What else do you drink?? I virtually cut all other beverages out except for coffee, tea, milk and water. So really I don't have a choice. I also bring a 32 oz container filled with ice and water to work with me daily and fill it again while I am there. Just like everything else, you just focus on it. You can do it!!! Add a twist of lemon if you need for flavor.

I also drink a glass of water when I get up and have water even during the night. Keep it with me at all times.
  • Madjohnbonny
    Options
    I dont know how you survived on 1 glass of water a day. I have at least a quart down by early afternoon and my second through the evening. Unless I have a lot of soda or something. Im trying to quit that, but it still happens now and again. Are you drinking something other than water that you can cut out?
  • nightingail
    nightingail Posts: 16
    Options
    I only drink water lol
  • narenn
    narenn Posts: 73
    Options
    I only drink water. For everything, no exceptions (besides my cheat day (friday)). Work it in gradually. Now I drink at least 1/2-2/3 a gallon a day.
  • alishathiel
    alishathiel Posts: 16
    Options
    Try drinking a glass shortly after waking. I drink mine right after my morning shower then that starts the metabolism going. Try to consciously add drinking at least 4 oz at transition times during your day like mid morning 10 am, before lunch, with each snack, driving home etc.. I sometimes find it easier to consume larger amounts like 6-8 oz at a time, if it's at room temperature. Good luck!
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    i drink almost a gallon of water a day....sometimes i have to push myself but i get up and start drinkin...
  • meshellmybell76
    meshellmybell76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    For some reason, the bigger the vessel, the better I do. Find a container you are comfortable chugging out of. I use a wide mouthed pint sized reusable bottle, and when drinking from this I seem to have no problem drinking about 10 (8oz) servings. Once you get used to drinking this quantity of water it is no longer a challenge, in fact, you feel thirsty w/o it! Good luck :)
  • sashaverlene
    sashaverlene Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    After a while, I just got used to it. I haaaaaated water... I'd add sugar and lemon to mine because it was so disgusting drinking it plain... but when I started MFP and read comments that said water with lemonade or juice powders didn't count, I just got over it and started drinking it plain. I drank 4 bottles of water a day to get my 64oz, but then I bought a 20oz refillable water bottle and drink 4 of those a day, so now I get 80oz of water. The extra water stops me from retaining water! :)
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I am an almost constant drinker. the majority is water with maybe 2 -3 bottles of lipton green tea a day
  • Stormywinter
    Stormywinter Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do the same as lady muscles and keep a 24oz water bottle with me all day and just drink from it continually. I also drink a glass before breakfast and my dr. said to drink one glass of water for every drink that has caffeine. I usually drink 2-3 cups of tea a day so there is another 3 glasses of water. Sometimes when you are begining it helps to squirt a little lemon juice in the water. It tastes good and helps with digestion especially first thing in the morning. Hope that helps. Good luck!
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    I have a 16oz cup at work that I fill every 1-2 hours. Keeps my water up, and gives me an excuse to walk away from my office on a regular basis!
  • ♥Lexi♥
    ♥Lexi♥ Posts: 126
    Options
    lol. i used to be in the same situation when i was a young teenager. what i started doing is keeping a bottle of water with me and making sure i would finish it within a certain time. for example: 2 hours to finish that bottle. before i would head to bed, i would drink another bottle. now, as an adult, i can't go anywhere without water. when i get up, i drink about 1.5-2 cups of water. usually after breakfast. i make sure to take 1 L of water with me to work. when i come home, i always have a large cup of water and notice that i am drinking. i will always have another one when working out. before you know it...i consume about 8+ cups a day. you'll get addicted actually...just take it one step at a time.
    another tip is to substitute all your drinks with water. trow out the sugary juices and sodas with water.
    good luck!
  • sheBB
    sheBB Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    The first few days I had to force myself to drink 8 glasses of water, now I too have a glass before & after meals & during workouts, I have one of those bottles that have the ml/oz on it & I just keep refilling it. When I go out, I have it with me too. I do go to the bathroom quite a bit though. lol.
  • katslosingit
    katslosingit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have always hated water and only drank Diet Coke - I still drink Diet Coke like it's going out of style but I have started fitting in water as well. My trick when I started was to drink small glasses 4 - 6oz throughout the day. I know I can "choke" down a small amount at a time but for me looking at a 24oz glass (or bigger!) would be too daunting. My thought was if I didn't fit in all 64oz in a day, at least I still got in a lot more than I was previously. I have since graduated to larger glasses now and actually even crave water sometimes - crazy! haha
  • alex063287
    alex063287 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I count adding water to coffee or when I am mixing to my protein shake. If you are not a fan of water try adding flavors to your water. I don't do this but I am sure other people do.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Here's an acronym I give my clients: I have this copyrighted, by the way...but you may share it for educational and motivational purposes, if it helps:

W---whenever you W orkout
    A---A fter a shower or bath (you are dehydrated at these times) Take a glass of water in with you, so that you can drink it as soon as your done, or during a relaxing bath.
    T----T ravel T imes.....whenever you are travelling at all, even to the store or to work
    E--- E very time you E at
    R--- R ising in the morning, and R etiring to your bed at night.

If you remember to follow this acronym, you will get enough water!